Posted By
Chris_Billstain
Aug 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I recently purchased an upgrade for Photoshop (photoshop cs), since our family has recently upgraded to Windows XP, and Photoshop 5.0 didn’t like XP. I’m quite worried, however, about product activation, since this house has 2 computers I’d like to upgrade Photoshop on. For the record, I’m the one using both of them.

The legalese on the "2 computers" part of the activation FAQ is confusing me. It seems to be that the activation is allowed on two computers, but they can’t be used at the same time. Does this mean simply that Computer A and Computer B can’t load photoshop at the exact same time, or does it mean that Computer B will refuse to load because of Computer A?

Also, what determines the "main user who licensed the software"? Is it the name provided during activation, or the Windows ‘user’ name?

Hoping this will get to someone,

Christopher Biberstein

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 3, 2004
or does it mean that Computer B will refuse to load because of Computer A?

Chris,
No. The rule appeals to you, not to the machine. (A car is not bound by a speed limit, the driver is)

As far as I know you won’t have any trouble to activate both. By accepting the Licence Agreement you "promise" to not have both copies of Photoshop used at the same time.

Rob
CA
chris austin
Aug 3, 2004
From experience of having the same program with same code on two computers is that, if they are networked together, when you are running photoshop on one machine and you try to open up the software on the other computer, it’ll give you a message saying you are already running photoshop. I would think if the two computers aren’t connected to each other via a home network, that you shouldn’t have a problem with using photoshop on each system at the same time, since there’s no way for the software to detect photoshop on the other computer.
B
BobLevine
Aug 3, 2004
Your experience must be on a Mac. I’ve never seen it on a Windows machine.

Bob
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Aug 3, 2004
Definitely not a problem on any version of Windows to my knowledge. I’ve always had a version of PS installed on both my desktop and laptop PCs, which are on a home network. While I can’t say for certain that I’ve ever run PS concurrently on both (violating the EULA or not), I definitely know there has never been an issue with it running on a single PC where the other in the network has it also installed.

Daryl
GH
Grass_Hopper
Aug 3, 2004
Daryl,
it would seem that Chris was saying he was attempting to run it on both systems concurrently and it gave the warning.

I realize it’s against the EULA, but if it does "see" the other computer on the home network, might that suggest there is some network activity of the part of PSCS to check for another instance on another machine?
B
BobLevine
Aug 3, 2004
GH,

I’ve never seen it, but AFAIK, it’s a Mac thing only.

Bob
CB
Chris_Billstain
Aug 3, 2004
it would seem that Chris was saying he was attempting to run it on both
systems concurrently and it gave the warning. <<

Oh, its not gone that far yet, I was just worried about it happening, not that it has happened yet.

I honestly don’t have a problem with the activation idea itself – I got a legal PS 5.0 that I’m just trying to upgrade – I just don’t want to screw something up and realize that my work computer suddenly has gone into Rampancy* and refuses to load Photoshop anymore.

* Bonus points for getting this.
ND
Nick_Decker
Aug 3, 2004
GH, I think Chris was saying that he’s seen this sort of behavior before, and is wondering if it will be a problem with PS CS. Like Bob, I’m pretty sure it only applies to Macs. I’ve seen it on a Mac network many times (where I used to work), but never Windows.
ND
Nick_Decker
Aug 3, 2004
Chris, I just tried it on my Windows network, to be sure. No problems, and neither of my computers reared up on their hind legs. Do I get the bonus points?
GH
Grass_Hopper
Aug 3, 2004
buy that man a scotch! 😉

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections