T
Posted By
Tinsby
Oct 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Prior to a few weeks ago I could open a Canon RAW .cr2 file, make the corrections to it and then save it as a .jpg or other format without changing the original file. Now for some reason when I make the corrections to the RAW file, they stay in place.

What setting did I change accidentally to cause this? I like to have my RAW files the way I shot them so I can change them again if needed.

Using Photoshop CS version 8

Thank you all in advance!

Tinsby

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
nomail
Oct 27, 2006
Tinsby wrote:

Prior to a few weeks ago I could open a Canon RAW .cr2 file, make the corrections to it and then save it as a .jpg or other format without changing the original file. Now for some reason when I make the corrections to the RAW file, they stay in place.

What setting did I change accidentally to cause this? I like to have my RAW files the way I shot them so I can change them again if needed.

The corrections do not really stay in place, they are kept either in a separate database or in so-called ‘sidecar’ files. Photoshop applies them as soon as it recognises the file, so it looks as if the file itself has been changed but it’s not. Your original image is not touched.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
K
KatWoman
Oct 27, 2006
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
Tinsby wrote:

The corrections do not really stay in place, they are kept either in a separate database or in so-called ‘sidecar’ files. Photoshop applies them as soon as it recognises the file, so it looks as if the file itself has been changed but it’s not. Your original image is not touched.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl

I don’t use RAW often but isn’t there a reset to original button? does it work after saving?
whenever I opened RAW it saved them as TIFF? (or maybe I chose that in the SAVE dialog)
N
nomail
Oct 27, 2006
KatWoman wrote:

I don’t use RAW often but isn’t there a reset to original button?

Not in CameraRAW (Photoshop). Some other RAW converters do have a reset button.

does it work after saving?

There’s no such thing as saving the RAW file. What you save is the converted file, not the original RAW file.

whenever I opened RAW it saved them as TIFF? (or maybe I chose that in the SAVE dialog)

You can only save to TIFF (or another RGB format) after opening the RAW, because you don’t really open the RAW file itself. You convert it and leave the original RAW file untouched.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections