Is a photo still RGB when moved onto a CMYK page?

I
Posted By
Insight
Jul 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some Pshop CMYK pages. If I color correct a photo image in a separate RGB file and then move it onto the CMYK page, is the photo image an RGB or does it become a CMYK? Also, are those 2 files linked (just in case I need to go back to change the original image to CMYK)?

Vaughn

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobLevine
Jul 31, 2004
It will be converted to CMYK and no, it won’t be linked.

Bob
CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 31, 2004
If you copy RGB data into a CMYK file, it gets converted. You can’t mix the two modes. Also, PS doesn’t link files; each file stands by iteself.
I
Insight
Jul 31, 2004
You couldn’t have given me a nicer reply. I was dreading having to go into each photo to change from RGB to CMYK and that would have been a lot of work.

Thanks for the prompt reply BTW.

Vaughn
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Aug 1, 2004
However–turn your gamut warning on before you drag RGB into CMYK–you may find that areas of your RGB image will shift significantly when you move to cmyk!
CW
Colin_Walls
Aug 1, 2004
Good point Christine. I guess I assumed that someone using CMYK is likely to be a pro who is familiar with the limited/different gamut of CMYK vs RGB.
B
BobLevine
Aug 1, 2004
You haven’t visited the InDesign or Pagemaker forums lately, have you? <g>

Bob
CW
Colin_Walls
Aug 1, 2004
You haven’t visited the InDesign or Pagemaker forums lately, have you?

No. Why? Am I missing something?
B
BobLevine
Aug 1, 2004
No. Why? Am I missing something?

Yes. A visit there will prove your assumption to be totally wrong.

Bob
CW
Colin_Walls
Aug 1, 2004
A visit there will prove your assumption to be totally wrong

I see. I guess I thought that nobody would go to the trouble of messing with CMYK unless they really needed to. Maybe my usual assumption, that most people around here know more about digital imaging that I do, needs revising.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections