Posted By
Dee
Oct 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hiya,

I’m slowing down on many projects … and running out of space … would like to have suggestions on how much more of everything I would need. I’m getting ready to purchase both upgrades to CS2 for Photoshop & Illustrator also.

This is what I have now:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1.66 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
40 GB Hard Drive

Running: Windows XP Professional

Not sure on the Motherboard …

So to get up to speed for what I need …. what’s your suggestion?

Thanks,
Dee

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
Dee
Oct 5, 2006
Found out that the Motherboard is: Gigabyte

RAM I use is: PC 3200 400
T
Tacit
Oct 5, 2006
In article <BP7Vg.4628$>,
"Dee Dee" wrote:

I’m slowing down on many projects … and running out of space … would like to have suggestions on how much more of everything I would need. I’m getting ready to purchase both upgrades to CS2 for Photoshop & Illustrator also.

As much RAM and hard drive space as you can afford.

Photoshop benefits greatly from more RAM and more hard drive space. Put at least another gigabyte of RAM in there, and if your budget allows, add a second hard drive and use it as a Photoshop scratch disk.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
S
Stewy
Oct 5, 2006
"Dee Dee" wrote:

Hiya,

This is what I have now:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1.66 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
40 GB Hard Drive

What you’ve got is more than enough unless you plan on opening and using multiple (25-30) RAW files.

You could add more RAM, check on how many spare slots you have.

A bigger external drive would help a lot.
R
rmd
Oct 5, 2006
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:32:17 GMT, "Dee Dee"
wrote:

Hiya,

This is what I have now:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1.66 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
40 GB Hard Drive

I run cs2 on a p4 3.4ghz overclocked to 3.8ghz
4gb ram
4x300gb 10000k hdd in raid 0

and it is still not fast enough for me :/
D
Dee
Oct 5, 2006
"tacit" wrote in message
"Dee Dee" wrote:

I’m slowing down on many projects … and running out of space … would like to have suggestions on how much more of everything I would need. I’m
getting ready to purchase both upgrades to CS2 for Photoshop & Illustrator
also.

As much RAM and hard drive space as you can afford.

Photoshop benefits greatly from more RAM and more hard drive space. Put at least another gigabyte of RAM in there, and if your budget allows, add a second hard drive and use it as a Photoshop scratch disk.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com

OK .. I can do another Gigabyte of RAM … and I was thinking of adding another hard drive.

Thanks,
Dee
D
Dee
Oct 5, 2006
"Stewy" wrote in message
"Dee Dee" wrote:

Hiya,

I’m slowing down on many projects … and running out of space … would like to have suggestions on how much more of everything I would need. I’m
getting ready to purchase both upgrades to CS2 for Photoshop & Illustrator
also.

This is what I have now:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1.66 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
40 GB Hard Drive

What you’ve got is more than enough unless you plan on opening and using multiple (25-30) RAW files.

I’m not sure what you mean by RAW files … but I know I’m slow .. and I need to be faster .. and I need more room, so I must need something.

May I ask .. why do you suggest an EXTERNAL drive over an internal one?

Dee
D
Dee
Oct 5, 2006
"rmd" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:32:17 GMT, "Dee Dee"
wrote:

Hiya,

This is what I have now:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1.66 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
40 GB Hard Drive

I run cs2 on a p4 3.4ghz overclocked to 3.8ghz
4gb ram
4x300gb 10000k hdd in raid 0

and it is still not fast enough for me :/

Woah! LOL .. you must take after me … I need to have things allot faster than they are … driving me crazy!

Dee
B
bmoag
Oct 5, 2006
Your computer is serviceable but slow.
The two least expensive upgrades that will noticeably imrove PS speed are doubling the RAM and adding a second hard drive.
The second hard drive should be formatted with two partitions and be used for both the Windows and Adobe virtual/scratch drives, one on each. Hard drives are so inexpensive that you should get a new larger hard drive as your primary drive and use your 40gb drive as your secondary drive. Upgrading your video card or now ancient CPU will not yield significant benefits. Don’t waste the money.

If you do not understand how to do these things get a new computer. There are amazing bargains out there but $ to pay for them is the problem.

If you want to buy a new computer get the fastest dual core processor you can afford. PS is not really dual threaded but those pesky rumors are that CS3 will be dual threaded. The new Intel Core Duals (not the older and awful Dual Core Pentiums which Intel is dumping on the market to get rid of) actually are faster than equivalently rated Athlon dual cores. However Intel as always is maintaining a premium price point which may negate the slight speed advantage in the middle level CPUS. Again get at least 2mbs of memory and 2 physical hard drives. Any current video card will do (except motherboard based video) if you are not a gamer.
V
Voivod
Oct 5, 2006
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:01:32 +0900, Stewy
scribbled:

"Dee Dee" wrote:

Hiya,

This is what I have now:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1.66 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
40 GB Hard Drive

Load of crap. An external drive adds NO benefit over an internal drive.
K
keepout
Oct 5, 2006
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:04:18 GMT, "Dee Dee" wrote:

40 GB Hard Drive

I’m not sure what you mean by RAW files … but I know I’m slow .. and I need to be faster .. and I need more room, so I must need something.
that 40 gig HD. is 10 gigs smaller than the System partition I’ve reserved for XP pro. Last count I was over 600 gigs. And I’m a bit slower now than a few months back. That’s because of all the other crap loading up in memory. The way to fix that is to clean out your startups. You probably have quick time, and a few other invisible ram eaters that need to be updated every .5 msec.
other speed eaters are yahoo, google, etc.. toolbars, real player, and other items scouring your hard drive for info to send back to their home planet.
Then you have trojans, virus, worms, etc.
A clean machine is your only cure for ‘it’s started slowing down’. If it isn’t smoking and grinding, chances are it hasn’t slowed down. It’s got way too many extras demanding CPU time. Look in your tray, how many smiling icons are looking at you ? Each one is monitoring for you or some external action to bring them to life. All that takes CPU time.
Got any stuff on the desktop needing updated ? Same thing.

Only way to see if that’s your speed loss is with
START->run->msconfig->general tab->selective startup->load startup items. turn it off and reboot and run things awhile and see how things have picked up. You can run in this mode indefinitely, but other programs will start filling up the startups.

But you can bet a 300 gig or more HD or external would make a big difference. Put the cache disk on your fastest drive.
May I ask .. why do you suggest an EXTERNAL drive over an internal one?

I have an external, but then I’ve been at computing more than 10 years. My external is a backup of backups.
That’s when the original and the backup both go bad at the same time you have a backup not connected to the machine.
But you have to be able to boot the machine for this to work. Which is where my 50 gig system partition Acronis backup comes in.

An external as part of the system would only be of value if it’s speed was as fast or better than any internal drives.

more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
K
keepout
Oct 5, 2006
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:10:06 GMT, "bmoag" wrote:

The two least expensive upgrades that will noticeably imrove PS speed are doubling the RAM and adding a second hard drive.
The second hard drive should be formatted with two partitions and be used for both the Windows and Adobe virtual/scratch drives, one on each. Hard drives are so inexpensive that you should get a new larger hard drive as your primary drive and use your 40gb drive as your secondary drive.

assuming the 40 gig is fast, why would he not use that as the system drive and larger drives for programs and data ?

The new Intel Core Duals (not the older and awful Dual Core Pentiums which Intel is dumping on the market to get rid of)
huh ? I’ve been using a P4 3.2 ghz dual processor for 2 years and ZERO complaints. Other than the software hasn’t caught up to them yet. You know the software hasn’t caught up to the new dual cores.

As for them dumping.. I took a look at the specs on my P4 dual core and the new dual core. Looked just like the SOS in a shiny new package with a different name. Yeah they can now do 3.6 or 3.8 ghz. But hardly worth the price increase over my 3.2ghz.
PS 8 loads under 3 seconds on my 3.2. Just slow enough for me to clean the glasses or chug another sip from the cup.
I would think if they’re ‘dumping’ my p4 3.2 ghz, people would be dumb to pass up such bargains. Mine was $125.00 new. If it’s going for bargain basement now, anyone that isn’t using one is making a big mistake.
One thing as far as expense goes, software lags hardware. If you get the shiniest newest hardware, you may lose the functionality of a lot of OLDer software needing to get new.

V
Voivod
Oct 5, 2006
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:49:41 -0400, scribbled:

I have an external, but then I’ve been at computing more than 10 years.

And yet you can’t post to usenet in plain text…..
J
Joe
Oct 6, 2006
"Dee Dee" wrote:

Hiya,

This is what I have now:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1.66 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
40 GB Hard Drive

Thanks,
Dee

1. Toss the 40GB to trask <g> and replace with at least 250-300GB which you can get for around under $100 these days (some time after rebates or instrance rebate).

2. Adding another 1GB of memory would help speeding thing up.
S
Stewy
Oct 6, 2006
In article ,
Voivod wrote:

scribbled:

"Dee Dee" wrote:

Hiya,

This is what I have now:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1.66 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
40 GB Hard Drive

A 40gig internal drive? Where are you been living since 1995? A cardboard box under a bridge?

My internal is 80 and that’s way too small for storing pictures which is why I have a 160 external and am now considering another 250.
V
Voivod
Oct 6, 2006
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 09:13:29 +0900, Stewy
scribbled:

In article ,
Voivod wrote:

scribbled:

"Dee Dee" wrote:

Hiya,

This is what I have now:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1.66 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
40 GB Hard Drive

A 40gig internal drive? Where are you been living since 1995? A cardboard box under a bridge?

My internal is 80 and that’s way too small for storing pictures which is why I have a 160 external and am now considering another 250.

Try reading the question and the thread. An external drive will in NO way aid in speeding up a slow system over an internal drive.
D
Dee
Oct 13, 2006
"bmoag" wrote in message
The second hard drive should be formatted with two partitions and be used for both the Windows and Adobe virtual/scratch drives, one on each. Hard drives are so inexpensive that you should get a new larger hard drive as your primary drive and use your 40gb drive as your secondary drive. Upgrading your video card or now ancient CPU will not yield significant benefits. Don’t waste the money.

If you do not understand how to do these things get a new computer. There are amazing bargains out there but $ to pay for them is the problem.
If you want to buy a new computer get the fastest dual core processor you can afford. PS is not really dual threaded but those pesky rumors are that CS3 will be dual threaded. The new Intel Core Duals (not the older and awful Dual Core Pentiums which Intel is dumping on the market to get rid of) actually are faster than equivalently rated Athlon dual cores. However Intel as always is maintaining a premium price point which may negate the slight speed advantage in the middle level CPUS. Again get at least 2mbs of memory and 2 physical hard drives. Any current video card will do (except motherboard based video) if you are not a gamer.

Thanks so much for all that info! Will save for when I purchase …

Dee
D
Dee
Oct 13, 2006
wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:10:06 GMT, "bmoag" wrote:

The second hard drive should be formatted with two partitions and be used for both the Windows and Adobe virtual/scratch drives, one on each. Hard drives are so inexpensive that you should get a new larger hard drive as your primary drive and use your 40gb drive as your secondary drive.

assuming the 40 gig is fast, why would he not use that as the system drive and larger drives for programs and data ?

LOL .. He is a She. 🙂

The new Intel Core Duals (not the older and awful Dual Core Pentiums which Intel is dumping on the market to get rid of)
huh ? I’ve been using a P4 3.2 ghz dual processor for 2 years and ZERO complaints. Other than the software hasn’t caught up to them yet. You know the software hasn’t caught up to the new dual cores.

As for them dumping.. I took a look at the specs on my P4 dual core and the new dual core. Looked just like the SOS in a shiny new package with a different name. Yeah they can now do 3.6 or 3.8 ghz. But hardly worth the price increase over my 3.2ghz.
PS 8 loads under 3 seconds on my 3.2. Just slow enough for me to clean the glasses or chug another sip from the cup.
I would think if they’re ‘dumping’ my p4 3.2 ghz, people would be dumb to pass up such bargains. Mine was $125.00 new. If it’s going for bargain basement now, anyone that isn’t using one is making a big mistake. One thing as far as expense goes, software lags hardware. If you get the shiniest newest hardware, you may lose the functionality of a lot of OLDer software needing to get new.

D
Dee
Oct 13, 2006
"Joe" wrote in message
"Dee Dee" wrote:

Hiya,

This is what I have now:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1.66 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
40 GB Hard Drive

Thanks,
Dee

1. Toss the 40GB to trask <g> and replace with at least 250-300GB which you can get for around under $100 these days (some time after rebates or instrance rebate).

2. Adding another 1GB of memory would help speeding thing up.

I am getting a new larger hard drive … will keep the 40 gig though … for second drive.

Yup, getting more memory too .. thanks,
Dee
D
Dee
Oct 13, 2006
Just wanted to say thanks to all who responded!

Have wrote all info down and will be prepared when I buy.

Dee
K
keepout
Oct 13, 2006
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:50:47 GMT, "Dee Dee" wrote:

I am getting a new larger hard drive … will keep the 40 gig though … for second drive.
The 40 would be excellent for the OS C: drive. and use the larger ones [slower seek times] for data and programs.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections