BM
Posted By
ben_massell
Jul 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PS CS suddenly lost its ability to open Fuji raw [raf] files, altho it will still open Nikon nef files. The error message says insufficient memory. I’m running Win XP with 2 gig of RAM, 85% allocated to PS. I have the scratch file on a disk with 10 gig free and recently defragged. I replaced the prefs file with an earlier version. Seems to be a problem in the raw file converter, altho it worked earlier today. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ben

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BM
ben_massell
Jul 29, 2004
Just as suddenly as the problem occurred, so it disappeared. I guess there are aliens in my computer.

Ben
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jul 30, 2004
Ben,

85% for PS chokes the operating system. Put it on 50% and you’ll never have to worry about memory again. (the pc’s memory that is)

Rob
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jul 30, 2004
85% for PS chokes the operating system. Put it on 50% and you’ll never have to worry about memory again. (the pc’s memory that is)

Simply not true
BM
ben_massell
Jul 30, 2004
I thought that, with 2 gig of RAM, 85% would be OK. Am I wrong?

Also, in this case, the problem occurred very suddenly and only had problems with raf files; it then suddenly started working again. Doesn’t sound like a real memory problem.

Ben
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jul 30, 2004
If your machine is happy with 85%, then there is no problem. This idea of knocking down to 50% seemed to arise when some users were reporting problems with using 2 Gb of dual channel RAM and perhaps other problems with CS. However, this is not general. Scott Byer of Adobe made it pretty clear a while back how to "tune" PS. Scott’s post is summarised in the FAQ somewhere. Basically, give it as much as is comfortable for your system. I usually have it at 90% and I have no probs on my 1 Gb system. This assumes you are not running much else at the same time of course and that you are not using plug-ins or filters which require extra memory allocation outside of that used by PS.
BM
ben_massell
Jul 30, 2004
Mick,

Which plug-ins and filters use extra memory outside that used by PS? I use sharpening plug-ins, for example, and have had no problem. I do sometimes have long delays with the PS filter gallery.

Ben
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jul 30, 2004
Offhand I don’t know which plug-ins or filters I’m afraid. Again I recall Scott Byer mentioning this but I don’t think he was specific. Maybe somebody else can help. PSCS filter gallery is a known slug so the delays you see are not unusual and have nothing directly to do with memory allocation.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 30, 2004
Offhand I don’t know which plug-ins or filters I’m afraid.

weird. i just mentioned this in another thread. i don’t remember if it was scott or someone else, and i’m pretty sure they weren’t all that specific. it was just something they’re looking into.

PSCS filter gallery is a known slug

<nodding> PLEASE Adobe, take it away! (or make it an option to use it or not.)
RV
Rick_Vantour
Jun 30, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion, Hunt. I cannot roll back my video driver. My laptop has not had a video driver update for more than three years. I suppose I could try to locate an older version of the driver but, since PS was working as little as two weeks ago, I’m not sure that would help. Also, I am using a corporate laptop that I am reluctant to mess around with too much.

re: the mouse. I am using a generic mouse driver and it is not an MS mouse.

I have also uninstalled the last 6 MS security patches that were forced on my computer by the corporate computer security people (with their knowledge and permission) around the time that PS stopped working. I then uninstalled PS and removed all references in the registry and then re-installed. Still not working.

I’m not aware of any PS-specific log but I’d certainly take a look at that if I knew where to find it. Thanks again.

Rick
BH
BILL_HUNT
Jul 3, 2008
Rick,

Sorry, I had missed that you were on a laptop. Unfortunately, many mfgrs. do proprietary drivers, based loosely on the vid-card mfgr’s drivers, if at all. Besides, if it WAS working and now is NOT working, and no drivers were touched, you’ve probably ruled that out.

You tried the MS updates/patches and no luck. Remind me, did you also try a System Restore Point, say back to when PS worked? Did not see mention, but maybe I missed that too.

Have you changed your Disply properties at all? Graphics Acceleration change? Other than the mentioned MS Updates, has IT loaded anything, and I mean anything, onto your laptop?

Do you, or your IT department have any utilities to check out the system, especially the video sub-system? There are dozens, both freeware and for-pay. Some really put one’s video through the paces and can uncover all sorts of things.

When something works, and then does not, it’s usually because of a change, addition or something going bad.

Predicated on other comments on this board, but not personal experience, what is your Default Printer set to?

Will IT let you use MSCONIG to keep processes from loading, if you promise to put everything back? Maybe get them to do it, while you watch, then try PS. Does IT have any thoughts?

I’m out of ideas, but will keep thinking about your problem. Maybe someone else can find the clue in the replies in the thread.

Good luck,

Hunt
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 4, 2008
going back to the original post…

After 4 years of using PS CS, it has stopped opening near the end of the loading sequence.

after 4 years?!! really? know what i would do? seriously? back up and re-format that hard drive. reinstall. i guarantee that you’ll be amazed at how fast your system becomes.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections