OK
Posted By
Old Kat
Sep 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a problem with my resolution. Inches on my computer are the wrong size in photoshop. They are too small. I have to zoom the documents to 135% to get the inches to actual size.

Other programs, like Wordpad and the text editor in my office suite run at actual size. I have the same problem with Paint Shop Pro.

Anyone know why my graphics programs are off, but text editors are not, and how I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JM
James McNangle
Sep 23, 2006
"Old Kat" wrote:

I have a problem with my resolution. Inches on my computer are the wrong size in photoshop. They are too small. I have to zoom the documents to 135% to get the inches to actual size.

Other programs, like Wordpad and the text editor in my office suite run at actual size. I have the same problem with Paint Shop Pro.
Anyone know why my graphics programs are off, but text editors are not, and how I fix this?

Photoshop is a pixel based program. If your image is 600 pixels by 400 pixels, at magnification of 100% it will show as 600 pixels wide on your screen. If the working area of your screen happens to be exactly 12.8 in. wide, then your image will be 6 in. wide.

‘Resolution’ means nothing to Photoshop; it is only significant when you come to print an image, and then it determines how big the image will be printed. By setting the resolution, you can make your images print any size you like, but if you want to be able to measure off the screen with a ruler, you will have to work out how many pixels your screen has to the inch, and then work in multiples of that value. Not recommended!

It is much better to use Photoshop’s rulers to measure distances on the image. These can be set to either centimetre or inches, and will correspond exactly to measurements made from the printed image.

James McNangle
S
Stewy
Sep 23, 2006
In article ,
"Old Kat" wrote:

Either:
1) Get a bigger monitor.
2) Switch to centimeters – makes you so confused anything looks right.
3) tell your congressman you want the standard inch to be shortened.
4) Switch off the ruler altogether.

Why do you need actual inches to correspond to inches on the screen? Don’t you have an imagination?
OK
Old Kat
Sep 24, 2006
Stewy wrote:
In article ,
"Old Kat" wrote:

Either:
1) Get a bigger monitor.
2) Switch to centimeters – makes you so confused anything looks right.
3) tell your congressman you want the standard inch to be shortened.
4) Switch off the ruler altogether.

Why do you need actual inches to correspond to inches on the screen? Don’t you have an imagination?

A simple "I’m clueless" would have been sufficient.
R
Rob
Sep 24, 2006
Old Kat wrote:

Thanks in advance.

As has been said pixels/inch only come with the printing output sizing.

Tho you can alter the DPI of your screen

Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > General – which will allow you to alter the DPI to whatever your Video card will allow.
J
JC Dill
Sep 24, 2006
On 23 Sep 2006 14:30:57 -0700, "Old Kat" wrote:

< http://www.digitalmastery.com/downloads/pdf/MagazineArticles /psuser51.pdf#search=%22photoshop%20ruler%20inches%20pixels% 22>

jc

"The nice thing about a mare is you get to ride a lot of different horses without having to own that many." ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare’s Nest, PA
K
KatWoman
Sep 24, 2006
"Old Kat" wrote in message

Thanks in advance.
change the monitor resolution
or
VIEW>
actual pixels
print size
etc
JM
James McNangle
Sep 25, 2006
Rob wrote:

Tho you can alter the DPI of your screen

Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > General – which will allow you to alter the DPI to whatever your Video card will allow.

This MIGHT give satisfactory results with a CRT, but if you are using an LCD screen I would strongly recommend that you stick to its native resolution. Anything else will give a highly degraded image.

James McNangle
OK
Old Kat
Sep 25, 2006
JC Dill wrote:

< http://www.digitalmastery.com/downloads/pdf/MagazineArticles /psuser51.pdf#search=%22photoshop%20ruler%20inches%20pixels% 22>

jc

"The nice thing about a mare is you get to ride a lot of different horses without having to own that many." ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare’s Nest, PA

EXACTLY the answer I was looking for. I knew there’d be a way. Thanks soooooooooooooooo much, JC!
R
Rob
Sep 25, 2006
Old Kat wrote:
JC Dill wrote:

jc

EXACTLY the answer I was looking for. I knew there’d be a way. Thanks soooooooooooooooo much, JC!

Here’s another solution

http://www.iconico.com/caliper/v3upgrade.aspx

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections