H
Posted By
Herman
Jul 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently had the opportunity, to take a look at Scott Kelby’s book "The Photoshop book for Digital Photographers".

In the chapter on color correction he describes the use of curves. He sets the default RGB values for the Black point to 240, the RGB values for the White point to 20 and the RGB values for the Gray point to 128. Next he describes the use of the Color Sampler Tools (set to 3 by 3 average) to set these points.

As a trick to find the darkest/lightest areas in an image he uses a temporary Threshold adjustment layer. This way you’ll have a visual clue in finding the shadows and highlights.

As there is no similar trick for the midtones, he suggests to set the color values to display ‘Total ink’ (in the Info palette) and to use the eyedropper tool to find an area whose ‘Total ink’ reading is 128 and use that area for the midtone.

Now I’m a bit lost here. This ‘Total ink’ reading of 128, matches the RGB values for the Gray point. However, the ‘Total ink’ reading is a percentage, black = 300%, white = 0%, 50% gray = 145%. If he is trying to find a percentage matching the RGB values of 128, this ‘Total ink’ reading percentage should be 145-146% instead of 128. Am I missing something here?

Kind regards,

Herman

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections