Posted By
Jul 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

[posted in both the Photoshop and InDesign forums, as I’m not sure where
the problem originates]

I’ve been experiencing some significant spooling issues printing Photoshop PDFs with vector data, and I was hoping someone might have some insight into this (and perhaps a solution).

Let’s say I’m starting out with Photoshop files with live text layers. I save them as Photoshop PDFs (preserving vector data; retaining layers or not makes no difference to what’s going on) and place into InDesign for output. Here’s where the problem ocurrs: some files seems to take forever to spool, sometimes as much as 5-10 minutes, even though the files themselves are not that large (perhaps 5-8 MB per PDF, four placed into a layout for a total of 24MB of data) – a similar sized PSD or TIFF placed into InDesign spools as expected, no more than ten seconds or so.

Any idea why this is happening? Or if there is another route to take to preserve the vector data in these Photoshop files? (Saving as PSD or EPS with vector data doesn’t work; I’m not sure if it’s Photoshop, InDesign or the RIP that is at fault but the vector data is treated as raster when saving in these formats, unlike saving as a PDF from Photoshop whereby the vector data is recognized as such by the RIP and rasterized at 2400dpi accordingly.)

Thanks!
Brian

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobLevine
Jul 27, 2004
responded in the ID forum.

Bob
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 27, 2004
I noticed that some of the vector files I create in Photoshop are prone to choke a rip. and this without fonts…
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 1, 2004
Yes, especially older Level 1 PostScript RIPs. (why is anyone still running those?)
B
BobLevine
Aug 1, 2004
(why is anyone still running those?)

Too cheap to upgrade?

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections