PW
Posted By
Peter_Wexler
Jul 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Trying to rename files but it says "cannot rename because of sharing violation. Source or destination file may be in use."

No files seem to be open – I’ve even deleted files in recycle bin to make sure. Any thoughts? Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GA
Gabriel_Ayala
Jul 27, 2004
How are you trying to rename the files? What I mean is did you open the files in Photoshop first then tried to rename the file in the save as window or what exactly are you doing?

If Photoshop is closed and you are on a network, someone else on the network may have the file open.
PW
Peter_Wexler
Jul 28, 2004
I’m in the folder with thumbnails showing all my Photoshop documents. I click on the document and press F2 to rename it. I change the name then click on another document or somewhere else on the screen and it says "cannot rename because of sharing violation. Source or destination file may be in use."

THis is a one computer organization so I assume there is no network that could affect this.

ANy more thoughts? and thanks!
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 28, 2004
If you are happy with the command line you could use the same method I recommended for deleting files that refuse to be deleted.

Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open. Close all open programs. Click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe. Leave Task Manager open. Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory the file is located in. At the command prompt rename the file. Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell. Close Task Manager.

If all else (including a reboot) fails this should work.

Cheers – JJ

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections