F
Posted By
Fungusamungus
Sep 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know that the gamma file is "adobe gamma loader.exe" in the common files>adobe>calibration folder. But once it’s running, does anyone know what it shows up as in the processes listing under task manager? I have Adobe Gamma set up correctly (according to the wizard), and it makes my monitor look a hundred times better (it’s a 19inch LCD, and w/o AG, it looks way too washed out, even on low brightness). But for some of the comic coloring I do, even though to *me* the images have bright, rich colors, some people see them as too light. Henceforth, I’d like to be able to either turn off Adobe gamma (w/o rebooting) or even be able to switch to another calibration, but just while coloring. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
bmoag
Sep 5, 2006
I think you misunderstand the purpose of monitor calibration, whether with the Gamma applet or a real calibrating device.
I hope you realize that people have widely varying visual perceptions? I hope you realize that LCD images can seem to differ widely in color, brightness and contrast depending on viewing angle? Someone looking over your shoulder will not see what you see.
Regardless you can use your video driver to switch profiles and image quality at will.
Just don’t expect a color print to resemble what you see on your monitor.
J
jaSPAMc
Sep 6, 2006
On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 21:14:26 GMT, "bmoag" found these unused words floating about:

I think you misunderstand the purpose of monitor calibration, whether with the Gamma applet or a real calibrating device.
I hope you realize that people have widely varying visual perceptions? I hope you realize that LCD images can seem to differ widely in color, brightness and contrast depending on viewing angle? Someone looking over your shoulder will not see what you see.
Regardless you can use your video driver to switch profiles and image quality at will.
Just don’t expect a color print to resemble what you see on your monitor.
OTOH … IF you take a good image, print it then tweak the monitor to show what’s on the PRINT, you can then compensate for your chain of equipment.

My prints are now WYSIWYG.
F
Fungusamungus
Sep 6, 2006
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
\>
OTOH … IF you take a good image, print it then tweak the monitor to show what’s on the PRINT, you can then compensate for your chain of equipment.

That’s a good idea. However, I don’t even have a printer. I have no interest in prints right now. ALL I’m asking is how/where to disable Adobe Gamma w/o removing it from the startup folder and rebooting.
J
jaSPAMc
Sep 6, 2006
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 04:42:31 GMT, Fungusized found
these unused words floating about:

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
\>

That’s a good idea. However, I don’t even have a printer. I have no interest in prints right now. ALL I’m asking is how/where to disable Adobe Gamma w/o removing it from the startup folder and rebooting.

Probably by setting all your profile choices to ‘none’ and unchecking the embed options. (Color settings)
U
usenet
Sep 6, 2006
Fungusized wrote:

I know that the gamma file is "adobe gamma loader.exe" in the common files>adobe>calibration folder. But once it’s running, does anyone know what it shows up as in the processes listing under task manager? I have Adobe Gamma set up correctly (according to the wizard), and it makes my monitor look a hundred times better (it’s a 19inch LCD, and w/o AG, it looks way too washed out, even on low brightness). But for some of the comic coloring I do, even though to *me* the images have bright, rich colors, some people see them as too light. Henceforth, I’d like to be able to either turn off Adobe gamma (w/o rebooting) or even be able to switch to another calibration, but just while coloring. Any suggestions? Thanks!

You could do that if you want to, or you could just be sure and embed a profile into the images you send to other people. You want to embed the working space profile.

And then be sure your colleagues have set color management properly on their machines, as well.
R
Rob
Sep 6, 2006
Fungusized wrote:

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
\>

OTOH … IF you take a good image, print it then tweak the monitor to show
what’s on the PRINT, you can then compensate for your chain of equipment.

Why not try to calibrate your screen with Adobe Gamma – it does work.

My Dell 19" ultra sharp (Samsung) was heaps too bright and I had to set the gamma at 2.65 to reduce the brightness.

Works for me.
F
Fungusamungus
Sep 6, 2006
Rob wrote:
My Dell 19" ultra sharp (Samsung) was heaps too bright and I had to set the gamma at 2.65 to reduce the brightness.

Works for me.

It works fine for me. The problem is other people are seeing it too bright. IOW, even though the colors are much richer now, with Adobe Gamma, the previous, un-gamma-ized(?) monitor seems to be closer to what others are actually seeing, but it’s horribly washed out to me. I just want to be able to turn it off for when I do color. Turning it back on again is simple, but I can’t find the process to end in the Task Manager.
A
Avery
Sep 7, 2006
On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:09:52 GMT, Fungusized
wrote:

I’m kind of guessing here…

I think you willl find that there is not a process running that you can turn on and off. The program runs once at startup and sets up some parameters in a register somewhere and that’s it. Those parameters stay set until something else resets them.

Can’t you just go to control panel and load a new monitor profile? – guessing again…
S
Sam
Sep 7, 2006
Fungusized wrote:

Rob wrote:

Works for me.

It works fine for me. The problem is other people are seeing it too bright. IOW, even though the colors are much richer now, with Adobe Gamma, the previous, un-gamma-ized(?) monitor seems to be closer to what others are actually seeing, but it’s horribly washed out to me. I just want to be able to turn it off for when I do color. Turning it back on again is simple, but I can’t find the process to end in the Task Manager.

It loads from the Auto start

Application Description: Adobe Gamma

Start From: StartMenu\Common

Application Command: C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe

r
S
Sam
Sep 7, 2006
Avery wrote:

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:09:52 GMT, Fungusized
wrote:

I’m kind of guessing here…

I think you willl find that there is not a process running that you can turn on and off. The program runs once at startup and sets up some parameters in a register somewhere and that’s it. Those parameters stay set until something else resets them.

Can’t you just go to control panel and load a new monitor profile? – guessing again…

Yep you have to take it out of the Auto start and manually boot the exe file to start it again. (could use a short cut on the desktop) then stop it with task manager. What a hassel!!
F
Fungusamungus
Sep 7, 2006
Sam wrote:
Yep you have to take it out of the Auto start and manually boot the exe file to start it again. (could use a short cut on the desktop) then stop it with task manager. What a hassel!!

But you can’t, that’s the issue, smart ass 😉

It would help if you read the original post.
S
Sam
Sep 7, 2006
Fungusized wrote:
Sam wrote:

It would help if you read the original post.

Yes you can. YOU now have to find the file 🙂
R
Rick
Sep 10, 2006
"Fungusized" wrote in message
Sam wrote:

It would help if you read the original
post.

Have you tried looking in the Control Panel? Adobe Gamma has a tool there.
F
Fungusamungus
Sep 10, 2006
Rick wrote:
"Fungusized" wrote in message

Sam wrote:

It would help if you read the original

post.

Have you tried looking in the Control Panel? Adobe Gamma has a tool there.
That’s where you set the profile for the adobe gamma loader 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections