Posted By
DannyC
Aug 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

When I try to open .pcd (Kodak Photo Disc): files, Photoshop 6 (the registered program for these files), will no longer open them and just reports "a program error", (very helpful!). Does anyone have a solution for me?

I had a trial version (now expired and uninstalled), of CS2 installed, if that’s relevant. I guess that the uninstaller may well have left some junk behind in the Registry? Or is there another reason?

TIA

DannyC
Get Sticky Design
www.getstickydesign.co.uk

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

K
KatWoman
Aug 22, 2006
"DannyC" wrote in message
Hi,

When I try to open .pcd (Kodak Photo Disc): files, Photoshop 6 (the registered program for these files), will no longer open them and just reports "a program error", (very helpful!). Does anyone have a solution for me?

I had a trial version (now expired and uninstalled), of CS2 installed, if that’s relevant. I guess that the uninstaller may well have left some junk behind in the Registry? Or is there another reason?
TIA

DannyC
Get Sticky Design

I am trying to remember this..
try import instead of open??
I think Kodak discontinued support for the format
but I do recall a plug-in or add-on to import them

check out the Adobe downloads section
gl
D
DannyC
Aug 22, 2006
"KatWoman" wrote in message

gl

Thanks for the reply. PS6 doesn’t list this file type under Import as later versions do. Yes; Kodak have discontinued support.

The files used to open fine. I cannot open them now using either the original CD or from saved copies on my hard drive. I’ve tried Open As… and then use the listed .PCD file type, as suggested here: http://www.adobe.com/products/adobemag/archive/pdfs/9701qaps .pdf but still get the same old message: "Could not open *****.pcd because of a program error".

There doesn’t appear to be anything useful on Adobe’s site. Kodak have some very old files still available for download, but they pre-date the facility built into PS4 and greater, whereby the .pcd files *should* open on File/Open. I’ve double-checked my C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop
6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats folder, and the required plug-in (Photo CD.8BI),
is still there.

From my brief investigations on the Web, I’ve found a fair few queries on this subject dating back to Photoshop 3 and as recent as PS7…but no solutions!

I know that the same file extension is used by Microsoft for something to do with modifying scripts for Outlook Exchange Server and as "Visual Test (Microsoft)", so this is why I am tempted to think that my Registry has blown a fuse and is getting a little mixed up.

Thanks again for your help & suggestions

DannyC
Get Sticky Design
J
jaSPAMc
Aug 23, 2006
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:41:40 GMT, "DannyC"
found these unused words floating
about:

gl

Thanks for the reply. PS6 doesn’t list this file type under Import as later versions do. Yes; Kodak have discontinued support.

The files used to open fine. I cannot open them now using either the original CD or from saved copies on my hard drive. I’ve tried Open As… and then use the listed .PCD file type, as suggested here: http://www.adobe.com/products/adobemag/archive/pdfs/9701qaps .pdf but still get the same old message: "Could not open *****.pcd because of a program error".

There doesn’t appear to be anything useful on Adobe’s site. Kodak have some very old files still available for download, but they pre-date the facility built into PS4 and greater, whereby the .pcd files *should* open on File/Open. I’ve double-checked my C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop
is still there.

From my brief investigations on the Web, I’ve found a fair few queries on this subject dating back to Photoshop 3 and as recent as PS7…but no solutions!

I know that the same file extension is used by Microsoft for something to do with modifying scripts for Outlook Exchange Server and as "Visual Test (Microsoft)", so this is why I am tempted to think that my Registry has blown a fuse and is getting a little mixed up.

Have you tried following the steps (help file) in "Opening and Importing Files", specifically "Photo CD" ? It’s a round-about, but might let you select/use the 8bi in your ‘files’ directory.
D
DannyC
Aug 25, 2006
"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:41:40 GMT, "DannyC"
found these unused words floating
about:

gl

Thanks for the reply. PS6 doesn’t list this file type under Import as later
versions do. Yes; Kodak have discontinued support.

There doesn’t appear to be anything useful on Adobe’s site. Kodak have some
very old files still available for download, but they pre-date the facility
built into PS4 and greater, whereby the .pcd files *should* open on File/Open. I’ve double-checked my C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop
is still there.

I know that the same file extension is used by Microsoft for something to do
with modifying scripts for Outlook Exchange Server and as "Visual Test (Microsoft)", so this is why I am tempted to think that my Registry has blown a fuse and is getting a little mixed up.

Have you tried following the steps (help file) in "Opening and Importing Files", specifically "Photo CD" ? It’s a round-about, but might let you select/use the 8bi in your ‘files’ directory.

Mmm, I have this under ‘Getting Images into Photoshop and ImageReady > Opening and importing images > Opening Photo CD files’:

‘To open a Photo CD file:
1 Choose File > Open.
2 Select the PCD file you want to open, and click Open. If the file does not appear, select the option for showing all files from the Files of Type (Windows) or Show (Mac OS) menu.’

That doesn’t work, no. ‘Photo CD (*.PCD)’ is listed, but the same old error pops up. Thanks, anyway.

DannyC
Get Sticky Design

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections