Output levels scale in Levels dialogue box is BROWN!

BP
Posted By
Brian_Peart
Jul 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I noticed the other day that the (normally) grey graduating scale that shows the output values in the Levels dialogue box for some reason is showing as a sort of rusty-browny-red-sepia colour. Also the little thumbnail pics in the channels dialogue box are the same browny colour (when a desaturated colour image is on screen). Any ideas why? I have to say it is still working correctly.

Using PSCS, WinXP, 1.5Gb ram, etc etc.

Many thanks,

Brian

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 22, 2004
make sure your system is set to full color (24 or 32 bit)

control panel> display> settings.
BP
Brian_Peart
Jul 22, 2004
I did check that, there’s an FAQ about the Levels dialogue not showing at all, and the system is definately 32bit…
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 22, 2004
as a test, turn down the hardware acceleration (control panel> display> settings> advanced).

if that fixes it, update your video driver.
BP
Brian_Peart
Jul 23, 2004
Dave, thanks for your help, but I tried adjusting the acceleration – even turning it all the way down, and it makes no difference – still the little graduation strip is reddy-brown! It used to be grey as you would expect and I don’t think Ive done anything to the PC that would change the video settings.

Any other suggestions?

Brian
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 23, 2004
can you post a screen shot? have you tried recalibrating your monitor with adobe gamma from the control panel?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 23, 2004
.. I don’t think Ive done anything to the PC that would change the video settings.

Well, did you LOOK to confirm what color depth you are running? Y’know, right click on desktop and etc…

Mac
BP
Brian_Peart
Jul 24, 2004
Mac – Yes I’ve checked the colour depth – it’s 32bit.

Dave – I haven’t changed the Adobe Gamma thing, I don’t use it, I have a hardware calibration tool and the screen is correctly calibrated.

I’ve posted a screen shot here <http://www.chromatech.uk.com/checkstuff/ps_screenshot.jpg>.

It shows A)the screen set at 32bit, B)a greyscale drawing on screen and the red-brown effect in the dialogue boxes.

I’ve made two discoveries during the course of making the screenshot:

1) If I click the eydropper tool anywhere in the greyscale image it shows as a brown colour in the colour palette

2) I didn’t say this earlier as I didn’t think this was related (and I forgot) but it may be the cause – I use two monitors. All the palettes are in the right-hand monitor. If I drag (say) the levels dialogue box back to the left (main) monitor it still shows as red-brown until I do anything when it then turns perfectly grey. If I then drag the dialogue back to the right monitor it stays grey until I do anything again, when it immediately goes red-brown again.

So what do you recon – video card and/or driver I guess? Very strange as I haven’t done anything to either. The only thing I can think of is a Windows Update has changed something.

Brian
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 24, 2004
and i think it can be solved without clean installation.

odd. i can see it. i think if it was the driver we wouldn’t see it. i’m still thinking something with your color mgmt, but i’m not an expert there. best to let someone else have a crack…

color gurus?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections