JK
Posted By
Jay_Knobbe
Jul 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been asked to color correct an old father & son portrait photo.

The Dad had braces on his teeth. They would like me to remove them in the pic. I’ve tried a couple of methods, none too sucessful. Ideas ??

I’ve done the color correction but any tips on that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

HP
Helen_Polson
Jul 22, 2004
I’d use a combination of the clone tool and healing brush. You don’t say what version you’re using- the healing brush was introduced in version 7.

If you’d like to post a copy of the picture somewhere and provide a link to it, I’m sure we can give you better advice.
KL
Katina_Lear
Jul 22, 2004
I would also use the cloning tool… you need to zoom in real close in order to take all of the braces out and to get good color reference on the teeth in order to reproduce it.

Helen is correct though, it may be easier to see the photograph in order to tell you how to best solve the problem.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Jul 22, 2004
It might also help if you mentioned some of the techniques you have tried so far. This would avoid people suggesting what you have already tried.

One of my first thoughts would be to replace the smile with a selected smile from another photo (prior to or after the braces).
This method has worked pretty well for group photos where on of the group refused to smile when the others in the group were perfect.

Tom Ireland
D
d._wade_thompson
Jul 22, 2004
Tom is on the right track, replace the smile with another smile. the problem with braces is that there is not enough information left with the teeth to be able to clone stamp or use the healing brush to cover the braces and make the teeth look real.
GA
Gabriel_Ayala
Jul 22, 2004
I would replace the smile with another too. I think d. wade is absolutely right about there not being enough information left with the teeth so trying to fix them and achieving a realistic look isn’t going to be easy.
P
Phosphor
Jul 22, 2004
Clone in a real set of railroad tracks.

It’ll get laughs for generations to come!

🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 23, 2004
check this out:

<http://www.reallusion.com/facefilter/showcase.asp#>

go to image 5 of 5, see the kid with the braces? mouse over.

I have the standard version of this program and it’s really powerful and not too expensive. the brace removal thing was done in the studio version. i think I’m going to upgrade.

there’s a demo you can try. it puts a logo over the final image, but you can get a feel for the program and what it can do. it’s real easy to work. you’ll be removing braces in no time flat!

I’m not associated with these guys at all.

dave
NS
Natasha_Schroder
Jul 23, 2004
Why not zoom in 600%,use the eyedropper tool to obtain colour and brush over the braced sections with it,any divisional teeth sections that are messed can be fixed by proceeding to do the same with the eyedropper tool over that particular colour.
GA
Gabriel_Ayala
Jul 23, 2004
Why not zoom in 600%,use the eyedropper tool to obtain colour and brush over the braced sections with it,any divisional teeth sections that are messed can be fixed by proceeding to do the same with the eyedropper tool over that particular colour.

Because it would be too noticeable and the whole point is to end up with realistic looking teeth in the finished photo.

I’m sure the client doesn’t want a photo that looks "photoshoped" if you know what I mean.
MA
Mark_Allen
Jul 23, 2004
Dave, Most of that can be done in PS but I loved the braces however he’s got loads of tooth to sample from. i suppose it’d save time?

Regards

Mark
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 23, 2004
i’ve got the basic version, but i’ve been playing with the demo of the studio version since i found that last night. very nice, especially for us no talent hacks! 🙂 i think i’m going to get it…
MA
Mark_Allen
Jul 23, 2004
Dave, I’m not hijacking the thread but how do you get the wee faces on your posts? I want to include them. I’d say they save more keystrokes than having to type stuff.

Regards

Mark
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 23, 2004
wee faces? like smilies? 🙂

just type colon closing parenthesis : ) but don’t leave a space between them. there’s a bunch. the forum converts the text to the little smiley images.

there’s a list somewhere… why don’t you ask this in the lounge so we don’t derail this further, i’m sure someone (r_harvey, i think) has the full list on line somewhere, i just don’t know exactly where now, but someone in there will…
MA
Mark_Allen
Jul 23, 2004
Doing it already. Cheers

Regards

Mark
NS
Natasha_Schroder
Jul 24, 2004
Gabriel,was thinking if one used the spatter brush(no.56) and reduced it to say 5. then would would have a better chance of a blend rather than a complete overview of one colour,then a touch up with a blur on setting 3.Even without the blur the splatter brush gives a realistic effect but sizing of the brush is important(remember than when you are zoomed in that close,there are many different colours,so is important to take a variation of many….not just one)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections