AC
Posted By
andy_comins
Jul 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a spanking new PC… 2.4 Pentium 4, 512 RAM, 80G HD and a fresh copy of CS. I’ll start CS and though the program will appear fully open, there is apparently a several second additional delay occuring "underneath" the visual field. If I begin to work before this delay has ended, the program will stall, a "not responding" tag appears next to Adobe in the title bar and though the program will function after several more seconds, the "not responding" tag stays put. Any ideas.

Also do you strongly recommend more then 512 RAM for standard Photoshop functionality. I generally work on files up to 22MB in size.

Thanks.

Andy Comins

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Jul 20, 2004
512 is not enough for both Photoshop and XP. Both are memory hogs and they don’t share well.

I use 1.25 GB with and older processor, 1.13GHz and it functions just fine on XP Pro. Not as fast as I’d like, but it is an older processor.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 21, 2004
512 is not enough for both Photoshop and XP

yes it is. lower end to be sure, but definately enough. i was running a p3 800 with 384 meg and cs for a few months there.

the couple second delay is normal. i think they’re bringing the splash screen down early.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 21, 2004
No, the delay is not normal — when the splash screen goes away, Photoshop should be ready to work.

A missing default printer, bad fonts, etc. might cause a delay there – but it’s difficult to know what it might be.
AC
andy_comins
Jul 21, 2004
Interesting about the printer. My system tells me daily that it detects "New Hardware" re my Epson 780, which is installed!
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 21, 2004
when the splash screen goes away, Photoshop should be ready to work.

I’ve always had between 1-3 seconds when starting chris. i generally leave my printer and scanner off, unless i want to use them (both local, both usb). Been that way since day 1 of cs release. splash screen goes away, desktop is up. click on say file (to get to open) takes about 3 secs to respond. after that 1st time (or if i just wait it out) it responds normally.
B
BobLevine
Jul 21, 2004
Same here, Dave. And I assume nobody ever got to the bottom of the long delay for a preview image to appear in the file open dialog box with large files.

Bob
AC
andy_comins
Jul 21, 2004
Thanks to all for your insights.
L
LenHewitt
Jul 21, 2004
Photoshop should be ready to work.<<

Never has been here, Chris. Always have to wait for the cursor to change to the hourglass and back before the application is active – usually about 3 seconds.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 21, 2004
<ping!>

<ping><ping>

I’m glad I’m not alone! 🙂
N
norm
Jul 21, 2004
I am also getting a delay and figured that it just be a normal thing with CS. I have my computer set up with sounds so that I can tell when something is opening or closing and there are three items that are closing (three specific sounds) before CS is completely loaded. I don’t get any errors when I try to click on a menu item however. It really hasn’t bothered me since it has always been that way from the beginning use of CS.

wrote in message
No, the delay is not normal — when the splash screen goes away, Photoshop
should be ready to work.
A missing default printer, bad fonts, etc. might cause a delay there – but
it’s difficult to know what it might be.
DN
DS_Nelson
Jul 21, 2004
<ping> here too. Exactly the same behavior.
RM
Rick Moore
Jul 21, 2004
I’ll chime in also because it’s something that I’ve been meaning to ask about – my machine takes about a second after the splash screen disappears for CS to be usable, just enough to be annoying but not terribly so. Might add it’s only CS, previous versions didn’t do this.

Rick Moore
Barnes Gromatzky Kosarek Architects
www.bgkarchitects.com
RL
roger_leale
Jul 21, 2004
It’s true. There is a delay of several seconds, and during this time Task Manager shows CPU activity of up to 80%. No big problem!
Roger
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 21, 2004
how many is that? 🙂

I think the splash screen is coming down too early. If it were up for another 3 – 5 seconds, no one would notice this delay…

is it possible that this is the time where the new "Welcome" screen checks to see if it should display or not? I have my welcome screen turned off… just a thought.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 21, 2004
No, the splash comes down just before we start handling user input.

There are some delayed initialization routines – but they should be running at idle time and let user events through.

So I’m not sure what’s causing the delay you see. But lots of people seem to see it. We’ll have to do some testing here and see if we can reproduce the delay.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 21, 2004
cool beans chris! let me know if you need some system specs from me.
B
BobLevine
Jul 21, 2004
Ditto.

Bob
TM
Thomas_Madsen
Jul 22, 2004
Been that way since day 1 of cs release. splash screen goes away, desktop is up. click on say file (to get to open) takes about 3 secs to respond. after that 1st time (or if i just wait it out) it responds normally.

Same here and another thing:
If I have Photoshop CS closed and I drag & drop a graphic file over the Photoshop icon on my desktop, Photoshop opens but the first 3-5 seconds after the splash screen is gone, it’s impossible to move the document window. The program simply doesn’t respond at all in about 3-5 seconds after the splash screen is gone. It’s very annoying and I can’t get used to that behavior no matter how hard I try.
I have also Photoshop 6.01 and 7.01 installed and they’re ready to fly in the same second the splash screen is gone.

Another thing that irritates me a lot, is the old bug with the document window that goes up behind the settings bar and menu so that I can’t reach the Minimize, Maximize and Close buttons on the document window. It seems to happen more often in CS than in version 6 and 7 here and it happens almost every time I toggle between the screen modes with the F-key.

The only way out I’ve found is to close the document via the File > Close menu. In Photoshop 7 I can often just hit the F-key a couple of time to get the document down but it doesn’t work in CS for some odd reason.

Regards
Madsen
RK
Ronald_Keller
Jul 22, 2004
Same here. 2-3 seconds delay.

Ronald
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 22, 2004
Not only startup, but in almost every case with a largish file (50M or more) when a function is finished, such as "Sharpen", for example, the hourglass goes away but there is still several seconds delay to be able to use the program. Looking at the tower, I can see that the HD is still writing. It’s almost as if the program is kidding itself!

(We’re done! Yeah, right!)
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 22, 2004
Not only startup, but in almost every case with a largish file

anything while switching tools larry? I sometimes get a 1 or 2 sec pause when switching from say the eraser to the clone or marquee, etc.
GH
Grass_Hopper
Jul 22, 2004
same on the start up delay for me.

I think that dave(?) hit it on the head, it seems to be the right amount of time for the Welcome screen to appear (or not).
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 22, 2004
Just took a look, dave. With a 168 M file (16 bit, 2400dpi, 6×6 cm image) there is no delay, or at least, when I mouse from the Tools pallet to the image, it’s ready to go.

No layers etc. I’ll look when I have a really big one!
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 22, 2004
tools to menu
menu item to tool
tool changes
brush changes

often lead to a 1 to 2 second delay for me.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Jul 23, 2004
* pings in*

Splash screen goes away.

Hourglass goes away.

pause

hourglass returns

Hourglass goes away & CS is now up & running.

Bill
H
Ho
Jul 24, 2004
You know, this delay problem (along with various other annoyances and bugs) was listed long ago in multiple threads. Did anyone at Adobe ever actually READ them?

(self-restraint mechanism is now active, although it is weak and fading fast… time to log off.)

And Chris wonders why I have an attitude. <smolder>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections