PW
Posted By
peter_with_a_meter
Jul 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Adobe really needs to make an update for the File Browser, because right now it is flat out useless! The thing is so slow, it feels like working with a JAVA application from 5 years ago! Even with only 20 files in one folder it’s crawling, with 1000 files it’s just painful. It also likes to hang on some files for a few minutes while building thumbnails. Interestingly it does not hang when using the "Build Cache for Subfolders" command.

I’m also using AC**ee, and it’s 100x faster, got no problem even with a few thousand files in one folder. Scrolling is very fast no matter how many thumbnails. Not so with File Browser, scrolling is very jerky.

Please Adobe, do sth. about it! The File Browser itself is good, just the performance makes it a pain to work with (so i don’t).

PS. Athlon XP 3000+, 1GB RAM, XP
PPS. I already turned off HQ previews and also tried all other options.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JK
Julian_K
Jul 19, 2004
I always wondered as well, why ACDSEE can do all that so fast and the file browser can’t.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 19, 2004
why ACDSEE can do all that so fast and the file browser can’t.

high quality images checked in prefrences probably. also color managed thumbs.
JK
Julian_K
Jul 19, 2004
nope 🙂
RM
Rick Moore
Jul 19, 2004
Didn’t occur to me before but I’m guessing the color management aspect is a big reason why the File Browser is stuck inside the Photoshop main window, just like the file windows…
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 19, 2004
I think so too. I also think we should be allowed to turn off CM and use the browser wherever we want!
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 19, 2004
Not "nodding" but jumping up and down and cheering.

YEESSSSSS!!!

Adobe? Hello! Got the message yet?
PW
peter_with_a_meter
Jul 19, 2004
so the file browser tries to color manage every image/thumbnail?
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 19, 2004
yes peter
PW
peter_with_a_meter
Jul 20, 2004
So is Adobe working on the File Browser or do they like it like it is? Or are we the only ones complaining, and the vast majority of customers is happy (don’t think so, but you never now). I’d really like to know where Adobe is going with that thing.
H
Ho
Jul 20, 2004
"are we the only ones complaining"

I don’t know, but I surely am. Making the browser a stand alone would solve a few problems, I think. To begin with, you could drag it onto your second monitor. Next, with a few usability tweaks, you could use it in place of ACDSEE, Portfolio, or whatever. Also, maybe if it was a separate app, you could allocate a specific amount of system resources to it so when it ran in the background, it wouldn’t suck the life out of Photoshop. Finally, I think color management is important but it should be optional.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 20, 2004
Adobe is constantly working on it.

Most of the problems we’ve seen are due to bad files, bad servers, bad third party software, etc. But we are still trying to work around as many of those as possible.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jul 20, 2004
It seems ludicrous to me that anyone would try to manage 1000 images in a single holder. I haven’t had any problems with the file browser, but each time I download my images from my camera I put them in a different folder. If you insist on giving a computer a big job to handle, like displaying thumbnail images of more than 1000 files, then in my opinion you had better be patient while the computer does its job.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Jul 21, 2004
If the File Browser was a seperate application, then it would be sold seperately. It is part of the package.

Moving it to another monitor might be useful, but moving the tools is more important. That works just fine.

Asking a machine to create 1000 thumbnails is going to slow things down a lot. Try smaller batches!
H
Ho
Jul 21, 2004
If the File Browser was a separate application, then it would be sold separately. It is part of the package

For all I care, they can sell it separately and bundle it with Photoshop.

Moving it to another monitor might be useful

Might be?

but moving the tools is more important

Thanks for making that decision for me. Anything else I should know about the way I work?

Asking a machine to create 1000 thumbnails is going to slow things down a lot. Try smaller batches!

If the Browser can’t handle the needs of imaging professionals (who manage THOUSANDS of images), then it should be scrapped.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 21, 2004

If the Browser can’t handle the needs of imaging professionals (who may manage THOUSANDS of images), then it should be scrapped.

agreed. 1000 images in a folder is easy.
E
Emmaus402
Jul 21, 2004
I have the same slowness with the file browser. It really chokes on large .eps files (redundant). I didn’t have this problem AT ALL with Win 2K, but now I have it in PS 7 and it’s even worse in PSCS.

Any thoughts?
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 21, 2004
Turn off previews for vector files?
MA
Mark_Allen
Jul 21, 2004
Chris,

Could you bring back the wee black box and also when we’re in "date Modified" mode and we have selected the images for dumping could they NOT be highlighted in blue. Only the one’s for dumping. Not a future request. we already had it in v7

Kindest Regards

Mark
E
Emmaus402
Jul 22, 2004
Chris~
Concerning turning off previews for vector files:
In PSCS, is unchecking Render Vector Files what you mean? If so then that doesn’t help.

Is turning off previews for vector files even an option in PS7?

It seems Windows XP has trouble with .eps files in general.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 1, 2004
If you turn off the render vector files option, then browsing EPS, PDF, AI files will just load any embedded preview and take no time at all.

If anything is choking – then it could be the OS, or if you have Illustrator installed it could be their preview DLL causing problems.
E
Emmaus402
Aug 3, 2004
Chris~
What would the Illustrator preview.dll be doing to PS? Is there any work around for this?

Thanks.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 4, 2004
The Illustrator DLL is system wide.

If it is the cause, then disabling it (removing the registry entry, or changing the name of the DLL) will resolve it.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections