BH
Posted By
Bob Hansen
Jul 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Group, I’m having a problem with CS1 crashing as it loads. It gets about half loaded and then the pallets, toolbar, etc. turn white and it’s "not responding." I’ve dumped the prefs, reinstalled the program, used system restore, run all my spyware programs, scanned for viruses and cant seem to find anything that could be causing this. It even does the same thing in safe mode.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mike Russell
Jul 17, 2006
"Bob Hansen" wrote in message
Hi Group, I’m having a problem with CS1 crashing as it loads. It gets about
half loaded and then the pallets, toolbar, etc. turn white and it’s "not responding." I’ve dumped the prefs, reinstalled the program, used system restore, run all my spyware programs, scanned for viruses and cant seem to find anything that could be causing this. It even does the same thing in safe mode.

This is very likely to be a video driver problem.
1- Update the video driver.
2- Remove the video driver and run everything in VGA mode. 3- Replace the video card.

Could also be memory, so run a memory diagnostic.

Assuming you’re Windows:
1- Re-install and/or update DirectX
2- Check the system event log
3- Run other programs that exercise video and memory, such as a demo version of a video game.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
BH
Bob Hansen
Jul 17, 2006
Thanks Mike,
I updated my video driver, then went into VGA. Updated directX. I looked at the event log, not sure what I’m looking for, though. My games run fine. I noticed that Photoshop always hangs when loading "global text resources." Not sure if that’s a clue or not. Thanks again.

"Mike Russell" wrote in message
half loaded and then the pallets, toolbar, etc. turn white and it’s "not responding." I’ve dumped the prefs, reinstalled the program, used system restore, run all my spyware programs, scanned for viruses and cant seem to
find anything that could be causing this. It even does the same thing in safe mode.

2- Remove the video driver and run everything in VGA mode. 3- Replace the video card.

Assuming you’re Windows:
3- Run other programs that exercise video and memory, such as a demo version of a video game.

Mike Russell

MR
Mike Russell
Jul 17, 2006
Thanks Mike,
I updated my video driver, then went into VGA. Updated directX. I looked at the event log, not sure what I’m looking for, though. My games run fine. I noticed that Photoshop always hangs when loading "global text resources." Not sure if that’s a clue or not. Thanks again.

Could be a bad font. Install TweakUI and run the font repair option. Or move any exotic fonts you may have from the font folder to another folder and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, move your fonts back half at a time until you narrow it down to the offending font.

Good luck – maybe someone else will have some ideas.

Mike Russell
A
Alex
Jul 18, 2006
"Bob Hansen" wrote:
Thanks Mike,

half loaded and then the pallets, toolbar, etc. turn white and it’s "not responding." I’ve dumped the prefs, reinstalled the program, used system restore, run all my spyware programs, scanned for viruses and cant seem to
find anything that could be causing this. It even does the same thing in safe mode.

Assuming you’re Windows:

Mike Russell

I had this once – I found the answer in the Adobe PS forum and I quote:

"Try deleting ALL the files in the \document and
Settings\~username\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\9.0\Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings folder"

I suppose this also holds for CS1 😉 Replace 9.0 by 8.0 I think!

Greetings, Alex
BH
Bob Hansen
Jul 18, 2006
Thanks Alex, that did it. I found that all the actions I created are gone. I guess I need to back up the prefs file next time.

"Alex" wrote in message
"Bob Hansen" wrote:
Thanks Mike,
I updated my video driver, then went into VGA. Updated directX. I looked at
the event log, not sure what I’m looking for, though. My games run fine. I
noticed that Photoshop always hangs when loading "global text resources." Not sure if that’s a clue or not. Thanks again.

half loaded and then the pallets, toolbar, etc. turn white and it’s "not
responding." I’ve dumped the prefs, reinstalled the program, used system
restore, run all my spyware programs, scanned for viruses and cant seem to
find anything that could be causing this. It even does the same thing in
safe mode.

Assuming you’re Windows:

Mike Russell

Settings\~username\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\9.0\Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings folder"

Greetings, Alex
T
Tacit
Jul 19, 2006
In article <dVSug.6839$>,
"Bob Hansen" wrote:

My games run fine. I
noticed that Photoshop always hangs when loading "global text resources." Not sure if that’s a clue or not. Thanks again.

Sounds like you have a corrupt font somewhere on your computer.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
A
Alex
Jul 19, 2006
"Bob Hansen" wrote:
Thanks Alex, that did it. I found that all the actions I created are gone. I guess I need to back up the prefs file next time.

sorry to hear that, bob, I wasn’t paying attention too, but renaming the folder does it too, I guess, and you still would have all your old files…

Greetings, Alex
JC
james_coburn
Jul 23, 2006
I’m on Mac. This worked for me. Thanks, Hillard.

Alex wrote:

Greetings, Alex

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections