RS
Posted By
Rick_Sovitzky
Jul 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I select a text (©), set it to 192 pt and specify centered, it generates with the copyright symbol at the top of the image (350 pixels), even the top portion cutoff. Any explanation/advice?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 17, 2004
use a smaller point size. make sure your image resolution is 72 (you said web use) then you won’t need to over exagerate the size of the character.
L
LenHewitt
Jul 17, 2004
Rick,

Centring will centre your text horizontally around the insertion point. It will do nothing re vertical centring.

However, you can use the move tool to position your text wherever you want it
RS
Rick_Sovitzky
Jul 18, 2004
Of course. Thank you…
CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 18, 2004
Better still, specify the size of the character in pixels. Points make no sense for screen use.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 18, 2004
Just realized, you can’t type "px" into font size box. You must change in preferences.

Or am I missing something, where you can specify pixels on the fly, if you want to leave the default as points?

Mac
CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 18, 2004
Just realized, you can’t type "px" into font size box

You can – sort of [at least on PS 7].

PS seems to immediately convert the specified size in pixels to points. So I specify 300px, with an image with 300ppi res, I get 72pt. Cool eh?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 18, 2004
PS seems to immediately convert the specified size in pixels to points.

I’m using 7 also.
I didn’t notice it was doing that when I typed px, doh… But indeed it does.

Mac
RS
Rick_Sovitzky
Jul 20, 2004
Hmmm…I tried the 300px size. It did convert to 300pt, but the character is not centered as I dictated. About half the © is off the top of the image, with only the lower half showing. Anybody else with this problem?
CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 20, 2004
How big is the image [in pixels and in inches]?
Is the baseline at least 300px from the top?
RS
Rick_Sovitzky
Jul 22, 2004
Size out of Web Gallery is 350×250. Looks like the bottom of © is the middle of the image. Plenty of room in lower half to have entire character show.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 22, 2004
did you check the image resolution?
RS
Rick_Sovitzky
Jul 22, 2004
72 ppi
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 22, 2004
tell me if i’m doing this wrong…

* new file, 72 ppi, 350px x 350px
* select type tool.
* select a font that has the © symbol in it (alt-0169), set font size to 192pt and type the symbol. confirm the text (hit the check mark)
* select move tool.
* select all (crtl-a) while on the text layer
* in the options bar click the align verticle centers
* in the options bar click the align horizontal centers
* done.

the © is no where near the size of the image. in fact, there’s about 100 pixels to spare on all sides once it’s centered.

have you tried to reset the character palette? if some of those settings are off it can make the char appear off the screen when set to top or sides, but even so, re-aligning w/the options for the move tool redistributes the character within the bounds of the image.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 23, 2004
I agree with the confusion.
Photoshop has NEVER really made much sense font-wise.

Make sure your prefs have font size set to points, ruler to inches.

Make a 1 x 1" image, any rez, doesn’t matter. Turn rulers on.

Make a 72 point letter.
It should be 1" high (by the rulers).
It isn’t.
Should print 1" high.
It doesn’t.

I’ve never understood this.

Mac
RS
Rick_Sovitzky
Jul 28, 2004
I may not have been clear with ‘center’. When I have the Web Gallery Automate create the images etc, the text BASELINE seems to be centered vertically, so the character is in upper half of image. What I expected was a truly centered text, equidistant from top-bottom, like it is for left-right.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections