DL
Posted By
David_Levin
Jul 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am assuming that upgrading my current graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS with 32 MB RAM) would improve the perfomance of PS CS on my 1MhZ Dell computer with about 350 MB of RAM. Can anyone suggest the best, but least expensive, graphics card to increase the speed of PS’s performance?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

David

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

ND
Nick_Decker
Jul 16, 2004
David,

The amount of RAM in your computer will have a lot more to do with PS performance than which video card you use. 350MB is pretty low for good PS CS performance.

That said, I use Matrox G550 cards in both of my machines. PS likes them just fine.

Nick
H
Ho
Jul 16, 2004
Another vote for Matrox. Best 2D display in the business.

And yes, 384Mb (just guessing) of RAM is barely adequate for Windows 2000 and inadequate for XP, and that’s before you add CS, the most RAM hungry version yet, to the mix.
X
Xalinai
Jul 16, 2004
wrote:

I am assuming that upgrading my current graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS with 32 MB RAM) would improve the perfomance of PS CS on my 1MhZ Dell computer with about 350 MB of RAM. Can anyone suggest the best, but least expensive, graphics card to increase the speed of PS’s performance?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

You do not need a 3D monster card for PS. There is no gain from memory beyond what is needed for your screen resolution in a 2D application.

If you have the dollars for a new graphics card, keep the old one and invest in memory. That will speed up things a lot better.

I’d even throw away all existing memory and buy a full new GB if this is the only way to upgrade.

Michael
EL
Ervin_Little
Jul 18, 2004
My system, Win 2K, PS CS, Is happy with the Matrox P750. With the P750, you can profile both monitors separately.

Erv.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jul 18, 2004
I think the Matrox cards are way over-rated and much too expensive. I would say you should get another NVIDIA (the cheapest one will be fine for Photoshop) and spend the rest of the money you will save on RAM.
H
Ho
Jul 18, 2004
….and make sure you buy the cheapest RAM you can find too. Then you can have spontaneous crashes and reboots to go along with your shoddy 2D display.

Sorry, Mick, nvidia (especially cheap nvidia) is garbage in my view. I’m glad you’re happy with yours.
ND
Nick_Decker
Jul 18, 2004
I used an NVIDIA GeForce2 for a while that came in a Dell machine. The main thing that I didn’t like about it was that screen redraws were often erratic when changing zoom ratios or dragging a file around the screen. Not crippling, but certainly annoying. Switched to a Matrox G550 and the problems went away.
J
James
Jul 18, 2004
The profiling of the monitors is a function of Window 2000 not a function of the graphics card.

wrote in message
My system, Win 2K, PS CS, Is happy with the Matrox P750. With the P750,
you can profile both monitors separately.
Erv.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jul 18, 2004
Ho
I’m not qualified for nor up to a serious debate about this but I think you might be a bit out of date in your views about NVIDIA cards. I’ve used a few of the recent ones, including a low end one, and have seen no problems at all. The low end 5200 performs just as well in 2D as the Matrox 450 which it replaced (certainly not a shoddy display), cost about half the price of the P650 and has the added benefit of being usable for 3D stuff as well. I would still hold, given David’s request for a cheap card, that the NVIDIA 5200 (probably 5300 or more by now) is the best bet. Of course it will have little effect on PS performance.
H
Ho
Jul 18, 2004
Mick,

You are right about my views being dated. However, having been burned once…
RO
Robert_Oliver
Jul 19, 2004
cost about half the price of the P650 and has the added benefit of being usable for 3D stuff as well.

The Matrox P650 does 3D as well. I replaced an nVidia card with a P650 for increased 2D performance, but it definitely is much better at 3D than the nVidia card.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections