G
Posted By
Gary
Dec 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please help, my wife is insistent taht I get rid of my 21 inch IBM P201 and buy a flat screen monitor. I am in the Uk but the makes should be the same, I need a 17 inch tft that I can still work on my photographs with. Please give advice.

Gary

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
bhilton665
Dec 23, 2003

Please help, my wife is insistent taht I get rid of my 21 inch IBM P201 and buy a flat screen monitor. I am in the Uk but the makes should be the same, I need a 17 inch tft that I can still work on my photographs with. Please give advice.

It might be cheaper in the long run to just get a new wife?

Bill
B
Brian
Dec 23, 2003
Gary wrote:

Gary

If she’s not involved in that portion of your business then why should she have the right to tell you what you have to buy/replace? If your workflow involves CMYK you should be holding onto that CRT – while I have no doubt that LCDs will eventually replace CRTs across the board that is not the case now, and LCDs still have a ways to go in terms of color accuracy, calibration, etc.

I would never – EVER – let my wife tell me I need to get rid of my Les Paul and play a Strat instead, for example, or to dump my cabinet saw in favor of a tabletop model. Likewise, I would never tell her what kind of gardening equipment to buy, or that her glass cutter was taking up too much space and she has to get rid of it.

I can’t save your marriage, but if she has so little respect for your interests that she feels compelled to dictate what equipment you can buy or keep then perhaps the marriage is already doomed.
T
tom187
Dec 23, 2003
"Gary" wrote:

Perhaps she’s identified a permanent, non-correctable color cast to your monitor and is trying to help you produce better photos? No?

In rec.woodworking they frequently use the acronym SWMBO. I don’t think I’d want one of those around. SWMHOB is significantly better. ——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
B
Brian
Dec 23, 2003
Tom Thomas wrote:

In rec.woodworking they frequently use the acronym SWMBO.

LOL… I was going to mention that but didn’t. Thank goodness mine is not a SWMBO – she has more respect for me and my interests than that. As long as I’m not burning the house down or creating genetically mutated corn at four o’clock in the morning she doesn’t care what happens in my studio.
M
myJanee
Dec 23, 2003
In article <bs9p9d$o14$>,
says…

Gary

Hey there, Gary!
The other posters have good answers, but here’s the one that will truly solve your problem. The only reason that your wife could possibly care about what monitor you use is if she is using the same computer, or if your computer is in her office or the living room or something. If she is using your computer, get her a new computer of her own. Set it up in her own office and there you are.

If your computer is in a part of the house where she goes and she doesn’t like looking at that big huge monitor, then my solution is for you to move your computer to another part of the house where she doesn’t have to look at it.
Always me, Janee

http://www.myjanee.com for Janee’s PS Tutorials and PS Resource Links, Janee’s Monthly Art Challenge, Gallery, and more!

You can find my email address at http://www.myjanee.com/contact.htm .

If you like my answers or my website, you may want to have a look at my publications.
Read about them at
http://www.myjanee.com/graphiccreations/publications.htm
MR
Mike Russell
Dec 23, 2003
Gary wrote:

Though I’m bemused by the motivation, perhaps you can have the best of both worlds, a bigger screen and smaller, less emissive, footprint 🙂

Here’s a nice review of the Apple 23 inch cinema display: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/acd/acd.htm

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
G
Gary
Dec 23, 2003
Group, thanks for your advice and help. I still can’t work out the acronyms. The trouble is that my office has been given over to the kids as a playroom and until I get around to converting an old well house, the pc is in the spare bedroom.

Gary
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
Gary wrote:

Though I’m bemused by the motivation, perhaps you can have the best of
both
worlds, a bigger screen and smaller, less emissive, footprint 🙂
Here’s a nice review of the Apple 23 inch cinema display: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/acd/acd.htm

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

A
Auspics
Dec 23, 2003
Sounds like it’s time to dig in and say no.
Probably leaving would do you a favour.
Doug
"Gary" wrote in message
Please help, my wife is insistent taht I get rid of my 21 inch IBM P201
and
buy a flat screen monitor. I am in the Uk but the makes should be the
same,
I need a 17 inch tft that I can still work on my photographs with. Please give advice.

Gary

C
Chris
Dec 23, 2003
In article <bs9p9d$o14$>,
"Gary" wrote:

Gary

If the flatscreen is for her, and she can get along with a 15" model, get a dual-head video card and use both. Is that like being married to two women at the same time?

C
B
Brian
Dec 30, 2003
Gary wrote:
Group, thanks for your advice and help. I still can’t work out the acronyms.

SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed. Try not to get stuck with one of these, they’re generally not worth the trouble they cause.
8^)

Brian
R
RTM
Dec 30, 2003
NONE of ’em are worth the trouble they cause!

Ron.

Brian wrote in message
SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed. Try not to get stuck with one of these, they’re generally not worth the trouble they cause.
8^)

Brian
T
tom187
Dec 30, 2003
"Gary" wrote:

Group, thanks for your advice and help. I still can’t work out the acronyms. The trouble is that my office has been given over to the kids as a playroom and until I get around to converting an old well house, the pc is in the spare bedroom.

SWMHOB: She Who Minds Her Own Business
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections