Question regarding Metadata (XMP, extc.)

N
Posted By
noone
Jun 10, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi:

In Windows XP, I have added metadata to a JPG file by right-clicking on the JPG, selecting PROPERTIES -> SUMMARY, and then entering some text in the COMMENTS field.

I assume this added text was embedded within the file (and will thus travel with it) since the filesize is slightly increased.

But when I open the file in Photoshop CS2, and select FILE INFO… I do not see any of the text I entered in the COMMENTS field.

Anybody know why? The same thing occurs no matter what field I enter text into (TITLE, SUBJECT, AUTHOR, COMMENTS, etc.), and the same with TIFF files.

Doe Windows XP store the metadata in some non-standard way? Why won’t CS2 read the embedded text?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

A
Alex
Jun 10, 2006
JAckASs wrote:
Hi:

In Windows XP, I have added metadata to a JPG file by right-clicking on the JPG, selecting PROPERTIES -> SUMMARY, and then entering some text in the COMMENTS field.

I assume this added text was embedded within the file (and will thus travel with it) since the filesize is slightly increased.
But when I open the file in Photoshop CS2, and select FILE INFO… I do not see any of the text I entered in the COMMENTS field.
Anybody know why? The same thing occurs no matter what field I enter text into (TITLE, SUBJECT, AUTHOR, COMMENTS, etc.), and the same with TIFF files.

Doe Windows XP store the metadata in some non-standard way? Why won’t CS2 read the embedded text?

That’s probably because CS2 (and others like ACDSee) don’t recognize the proprietary tags that XP adds to the JPG. I could see them with a neat ‘batch utility’ based on a perl script, though. They *are* there. The batch returned: —–
XP Title : <title>
XP Comment : <comment>
XP Author : <author>
XP Keywords: <keywords>
XP Subject : <subject>
—–

I suppose CS2 Bridge does the same sort of thing when you add keywords.
Thanks

Greetings, Alex
N
noone
Jun 11, 2006
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 05:29:07 -0500, Alex wrote:

JAckASs wrote:

That’s probably because CS2 (and others like ACDSee) don’t recognize the proprietary tags that XP adds to the JPG.

Thanks for the reply; I didn’t realize those XP tags were proprietary. That’s dumb, they should standardize these things, or use the same EXIF process. Then again, Adobe should have known about XP’s proprietary tags when they created CS2 and been able to read them.

ciao
A
Arawak
Jun 12, 2006
"JAckASs" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 05:29:07 -0500, Alex wrote:

JAckASs wrote:

That’s probably because CS2 (and others like ACDSee) don’t recognize the proprietary tags that XP adds to the JPG.

Thanks for the reply; I didn’t realize those XP tags were proprietary. That’s dumb, they should standardize these things, or use the same EXIF process. Then again, Adobe should have known about XP’s proprietary tags when they created CS2 and been able to read them.
ciao

PixVue (www.pixvue.com) is a really nice Windows shell extension that does allow editing of the standard IPTC and XMP metadata in image files. These metadata are visible in CS2.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections