F
Posted By
Felice
May 31, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My Dimage Z6 only records in JPEG / sRGB, without other options. My question is when opening, and working within PS, am I better to convert the image to ADOBE RGB, Discard embedded or use the embedded profile.

I probably ought to add that my output is usually print, though sometimes will post on a website.

Thanks in advance for your comments / opinions.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RG
Roy G
May 31, 2006
"Felice" wrote in message
My Dimage Z6 only records in JPEG / sRGB, without other options. My question is when opening, and working within PS, am I better to convert the
image to ADOBE RGB, Discard embedded or use the embedded profile.
I probably ought to add that my output is usually print, though sometimes will post on a website.

Thanks in advance for your comments / opinions.
Hi.

My understanding is that converting an sRGB tagged image to Adobe RGB will not produce any benefit, because the Palette has already been restricted and the conversion will not add any extra information.

If an Image is already tagged then Converting is the process to use, but "use the embedded" will work fine, because Ps 8 & 9 can work in 2 Profiles at the same time.

Roy G
N
nomail
May 31, 2006
Felice wrote:

My Dimage Z6 only records in JPEG / sRGB, without other options. My question is when opening, and working within PS, am I better to convert the image to ADOBE RGB, Discard embedded or use the embedded profile.

Keep the embedded profile. There is nothing to gain in converting from sRGB to AdobeRGB, because it will just place the same colors in a larger space. And there is certainly nothing to gain with discarding the profile.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
N
nomail
May 31, 2006
Roy G wrote:

My understanding is that converting an sRGB tagged image to Adobe RGB will not produce any benefit, because the Palette has already been restricted and the conversion will not add any extra information.

Correct.

If an Image is already tagged then Converting is the process to use, but

Converting will indeed not add any extra information, so converting is NOT the thing to do. You would actually loose some information if you convert to AdobeRGB. Just use ‘Keep embedded profiles’.

"use the embedded" will work fine, because Ps 8 & 9 can work in 2 Profiles at the same time.

You won’t be ‘working with two profiles at the same time’. You will only be working in sRGB which is the thing to do in this case. An image can only have one color space and one profile, not two at the same time. What you mean is that PS 8 and 9 can have two images open at the same time which have different color spaces, but that is not relevant in this case.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
F
Felice
May 31, 2006
Thank you everyone for your responses. I had thought that Adobe RGB would be a better profile for printing. Is everyone saying that it really doesn’t make a difference?

"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
Felice wrote:

My Dimage Z6 only records in JPEG / sRGB, without other options. My question is when opening, and working within PS, am I better to convert
the
I probably ought to add that my output is usually print, though
sometimes
will post on a website.

Keep the embedded profile. There is nothing to gain in converting from sRGB to AdobeRGB, because it will just place the same colors in a larger space. And there is certainly nothing to gain with discarding the profile.

HL
Harry Limey
May 31, 2006
"Felice" wrote in message
Thank you everyone for your responses. I had thought that Adobe RGB would be a better profile for printing. Is everyone saying that it really doesn’t
make a difference?

"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
Felice wrote:

My Dimage Z6 only records in JPEG / sRGB, without other options. My question is when opening, and working within PS, am I better to convert
the
I probably ought to add that my output is usually print, though
sometimes
will post on a website.

I understood that whatever profile you use for your cameras images (and I understand sRGB is as good as anything for home/digital camera use!) you should use the same profile for your monitor and eventually your printer (so what you see is what you get??)
I downloaded a free colour profile management windows add-on from M’soft, you may find it useful?
I would be interested in your opinion Johan.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/ prophoto/colorcontrol.mspx
N
nomail
May 31, 2006
Harry Limey wrote:

I understood that whatever profile you use for your cameras images (and I understand sRGB is as good as anything for home/digital camera use!) you should use the same profile for your monitor and eventually your printer (so what you see is what you get??)

No, you didn’t understand that correctly. You should use your monitor profile for your monitor, and your printer profile for your printer. sRGB is an abstract color space, a so-called ‘working space’. That’s the kind of color space you use in Photoshop to edit your images. But your monitor and your printer have their own color spaces, and these spaces are described in the monitor profile and the printer profile(s).

I downloaded a free colour profile management windows add-on from M’soft, you may find it useful?
I would be interested in your opinion Johan.

I mainly work on a Macintosh system. I do have a PC as well, and I installed that control panel on it, but it find it of limited use. The problem is that color management is still application-based in Windows, not system-based like on the Macintosh. It’s also confusing, because it calls sRGB and AdobeRGB profiles of the class ‘Monitor’, which is absolutely wrong.

N
nomail
May 31, 2006
Felice wrote:

Thank you everyone for your responses. I had thought that Adobe RGB would be a better profile for printing. Is everyone saying that it really doesn’t make a difference?

AdobeRGB is indeed the better color space, but *in this case* it doesn’t make a difference, because your starting point is sRGB. You can convert images from sRGB to AdobeRGB, but that will only give you ‘sRGB colors in AdobeRGB space’. It’s like putting one gallon of water in a two gallon container. You’ll still only have one gallon if you do that. The rest is empty space.

RM
RC Moonpie
May 31, 2006
On Wed, 31 May 2006 17:23:39 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

I mainly work on a Macintosh system. I do have a PC as well, and I installed that control panel on it, but it find it of limited use.

I agree, lots of bally-hoo about not much at all.

problem is that color management is still application-based in Windows, not system-based like on the Macintosh.

BINGO. this is it in a nutshell. WHEN is Microsoft EVER going to get this right, or, is this even poosible? Sometimes "color management" on a PC, with several different programs and peripherals running, might as well be called color manglement.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections