A
Posted By
allanmb
May 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I borrowed a friends camera as I am thinking about upgrading and I have managed to fill up his 1GB card with RAW images (about 120). Anyway, I want to batch convert all of these images to jpeg and the ones which need touching up I can do manually.
I have Photoshop CS2 – can it be done using this? or can someone tell me a utility which can?
Thanks
Allan

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RB
Rudy Benner
May 30, 2006
"Allan M. Bruce" wrote in message
I borrowed a friends camera as I am thinking about upgrading and I have managed to fill up his 1GB card with RAW images (about 120). Anyway, I want to batch convert all of these images to jpeg and the ones which need touching up I can do manually.
I have Photoshop CS2 – can it be done using this? or can someone tell me a utility which can?
Thanks
Allan

You can do that from Adobe Bridge, but not 120 at a time.

You would do better to copy all the raw files to CDs and work from there. Make 2 sets of CDs, one for you and one for the owner of the camera.

Your order of operations is not optimal. You need to do your editing before saving to jpegs.
A
allanmb
May 30, 2006

Can I do more than one at once?

You would do better to copy all the raw files to CDs and work from there. Make 2 sets of CDs, one for you and one for the owner of the camera.

Why? The owner of the camera does not want the pictures I have taken.

Your order of operations is not optimal. You need to do your editing before saving to jpegs.

I meant: I will batch convert all of them, then if there are any pictures which need altering I will work from the original RAW data again.

Allan
N
nomail
May 30, 2006
Allan M. Bruce wrote:

Of course you can do all 120 in batch. No reason why you couldn’t. The easiest way is to use ‘File – Scripts – Image Processor’

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
RC
Rosanne Cleveland-King
May 30, 2006
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9856 This will lead you to the correct place to convert your pix.

Smiles,
Rosanne
BP
Barry Pearson
May 30, 2006
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
[snip]
Of course you can do all 120 in batch. No reason why you couldn’t. The easiest way is to use ‘File – Scripts – Image Processor’

Or from Bridge: Tools > Photoshop > Image Processor This is just another way of calling the same script, but selecting the files in Bridge first.

Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
T
Tacit
May 31, 2006
In article <1hg5ttg.1ah7fxqbs6guwN%>,
(Johan W. Elzenga) wrote:

The downside of doing this is that you lose the benefit of shooting in RAW to begin with.

There is an advantage to shooting RAW images rather than JPEG images–the RAW image is not compressed and preserves information about the exposure settings, allowing you to make intelligent choices about color temperature and so on when you bring the image into Photoshop in order to get maximum image quality.

If you batch process a bunch of RAW format images with the same settings, and then save them in JPEG format, you have lost these benefits, and may as well have just shot JPEG to begin with.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
BP
Barry Pearson
May 31, 2006
tacit wrote:
[snip]

The downside of doing this is that you lose the benefit of shooting in RAW to begin with.
[snip]
If you batch process a bunch of RAW format images with the same settings, and then save them in JPEG format, you have lost these benefits, and may as well have just shot JPEG to begin with.

"If …": true. But some people process their raws in (say) Bridge+ACR, without going near Photoshop-the-photoeditor. (Or, in CS, Browser+ACR). Their ACR edits and settings get stored, perhaps in the database, or as XMPsidecars, or (as I do it) in the DNGs (CS2 only).

Then when the Batch is run, perhaps while you have a meal, all of these settings get applied to the raw image as part of the conversion to JPEGs or TIFFs (or PSDs). It can be an effective workflow – I got it from Bruce Fraser’s books on Camera Raw. (I use my own actions rather than Image Processor script, but I am assuming that the same applies for the script?)

Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
A
allanmb
May 31, 2006
"tacit" wrote in message

There is an advantage to shooting RAW images rather than JPEG images–the RAW image is not compressed and preserves information about the exposure settings, allowing you to make intelligent choices about color temperature and so on when you bring the image into Photoshop in order to get maximum image quality.

I am fully aware of this – however, what is to stop me going back to a few images in RAW and manually adjusting exposure settings etc.? I shot in RAW thinking that most of my shots should be ok but I could have the opportunity to change settings if I needed to. Therefore, for most of the images a straight conversion to jpeg will suffice, but its nice to be able to change settings if I need to. Makes sense to me!
Allan
N
nomail
May 31, 2006
tacit wrote:

If you read the earlier messages, you’ll see that this person is well aware of that. He said "I meant: I will batch convert all of them, then if there are any pictures which need altering I will work from the original RAW data again."

I think that the OP knows that.

But then you do not have RAW files for ‘just in case’. And this was a borrowed camera, so perhaps it was set to RAW by the owner, not by choice of the OP.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
A
allanmb
May 31, 2006
"Allan M. Bruce" wrote in message
Thanks
Allan

Thanks for the help guys, I managed to do it by selecting all of the files in Bridge, then double clicking on one. They then all opened in PS, then I selected all and clicked save, nice n easy.
Allan
F
Falco98
Jun 5, 2006
My camera (canon EOS 300d) comes with a utility to extract the embedded jpegs from an arbitrarily large number of RAW files. It’s relatively quick since in Canon’s case, the RAW file has a medium-rez jpeg embedded in it already, but I believe the utility also does straight conversions (i.e. at max resolution etc); i’d be surprised if the manufacturer of the camera you’ve been using doesn’t make such a utility (and with canon, the utility is downloadable free on their website).

Allan M. Bruce wrote:
Thanks
Allan

K
kctan
Jun 6, 2006
Raw files are meant to be processed with individual manipulation, no batch conversion. You can batch process with same manipulation if shots were of similar shooting conditions (color temp, dynamic range, lighting…etc) or you defeat the purpose of shooting in raw.

"Falco98" wrote in message
My camera (canon EOS 300d) comes with a utility to extract the embedded jpegs from an arbitrarily large number of RAW files. It’s relatively quick since in Canon’s case, the RAW file has a medium-rez jpeg embedded in it already, but I believe the utility also does straight conversions (i.e. at max resolution etc); i’d be surprised if the manufacturer of the camera you’ve been using doesn’t make such a utility (and with canon, the utility is downloadable free on their website).

Allan M. Bruce wrote:
Thanks
Allan
M
Marijn
Jun 8, 2006
Its easy. Select all the files in bridge en open them all at once. The RAW converter will open. Now reselect all pictures (the will be on the left side). And then on the lower right side press a button called something like ‘save … (where the dots are the number of files selected). Then wait.

In bridge you can touch up any one of them or a selection if required.

"kctan" schreef in bericht
Raw files are meant to be processed with individual manipulation, no batch conversion. You can batch process with same manipulation if shots were of similar shooting conditions (color temp, dynamic range, lighting…etc) or you defeat the purpose of shooting in raw.

"Falco98" wrote in message

Allan M. Bruce wrote:
Thanks
Allan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections