SP
Posted By
Susan P
May 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to anonymize some names in a document which has been scanned to a GIF.

What have you found to be the best effect/setting to preserve the general look and feel of text but which obliterates its meaning?

I have been using PUSH BRUSH with these settings on scans of documents in 11 point Arial.

size 44
hardness 29
steps 60
density 100
thickness 100
rotation 0

opacity 100

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
jjs
May 29, 2006
"Susan P" wrote in message

What have you found to be the best effect/setting to preserve the general look and feel of text but which obliterates its meaning?

For what purpose, please? Are you trying to stifle OCR programs?

FWIW, there is a pattern you can incorporate that will do a pretty good job of keeping certain twains and image processing programs such as CS* from processing. It’s the Money Pattern standard thing.
SP
Susan P
May 30, 2006

On 29 May 2006, 2 wrote:
FWIW, there is a pattern you can incorporate that will do a pretty good job of keeping certain twains and image processing programs such as CS* from processing. It’s the Money Pattern standard thing.

I want to respect the privacy of people who are named in my documents but at the same time I want to circulate the documents.

So I need to completely hide the text where a name or address appears.

However, I don’t want it to look like some secret document released from the FBI or government archives! — So, no long opaque black rectangles all over the page which draw your attention attention away from the remaining content of the document to all the balck bits.

Replacing the hidden text completely with a block of mid-gray shading is a start but I want to put something in which merges with the look and feel of the main text but which is obviously a "crossing out" when you read it so you don’t slow down or stumble at those places.

I thought maybe morphing the text may be a good idea like my Push Brush settings in my posting. It is relatively quick because it involves only one layer. (I learnt about manipulating layers here only a very short while ago.)
R
Rick
May 30, 2006
Susan P wrote in news:Xns97D34A8B8FDE0D5E712@
127.0.0.1:

I want to respect the privacy of people who are named in my documents but at the same time I want to circulate the documents.

However, I don’t want it to look like some secret document released from the FBI or government archives! — So, no long opaque black rectangles all over the page which draw your attention attention away from the remaining content of the document to all the balck bits.
Replacing the hidden text completely with a block of mid-gray shading is a start but I want to put something in which merges with the look and feel of the main text but which is obviously a "crossing out" when you read it so you don’t slow down or stumble at those places.

How about using the Selection tool set in Rectangle mode to select the text, then use Effects:Reflection Effects:Kaleidoscope. Just set Number of Petals=2, Edge Mode to Repeat or Wrap and everything else = 0. That should give you a somewhat Cyrillic looking pattern of markings in place of the name.

Rick Simon

Include "spam(trap)key" somewhere in the
body of any email to avoid spam filters.
B
Bishoop
May 30, 2006

On 29 May 2006, 2 wrote:

I thought maybe morphing the text may be a good idea like my Push Brush settings in my posting. It is relatively quick because it involves only one layer. (I learnt about manipulating layers here only a very short while ago.)

About this:

Make a selection of the word(s) you want to blur, next go to Adjust > Blur > Gaussian Blur. From the pop-up window play with the radius control util you get the level of blur you desire.

HTH
HL
Harry Limey
May 30, 2006

Try Filters – artistic – glass – glass – looks effective to me!!
J
JoeB
May 30, 2006
Susan P wrote in
news::

I want to anonymize some names in a document which has been
scanned
to a GIF.

What have you found to be the best effect/setting to preserve
the
general look and feel of text but which obliterates its
meaning?
On 29 May 2006, 2 wrote:
For what purpose, please? Are you trying to stifle OCR
programs?
FWIW, there is a pattern you can incorporate that will do a
pretty
good job of keeping certain twains and image processing
programs
such as CS* from processing. It’s the Money Pattern standard
thing.

I want to respect the privacy of people who are named in my
documents
but at the same time I want to circulate the documents.

So I need to completely hide the text where a name or address
appears.
However, I don’t want it to look like some secret document
released from
the FBI or government archives! — So, no long opaque black rectangles all over the page which draw your attention
attention away
from the remaining content of the document to all the balck
bits.
Replacing the hidden text completely with a block of mid-gray
shading is
a start but I want to put something in which merges with the
look and
feel of the main text but which is obviously a "crossing out"
when you
read it so you don’t slow down or stumble at those places.
I thought maybe morphing the text may be a good idea like my
Push Brush
settings in my posting. It is relatively quick because it
involves only
one layer. (I learnt about manipulating layers here only a very
short
while ago.)

Why not just replace the names with false names?

Regards,

JoeB
M
Marvin
May 30, 2006
Susan P wrote:

I have been using PUSH BRUSH with these settings on scans of documents in 11 point Arial.

size 44
hardness 29
steps 60
density 100
thickness 100
rotation 0

opacity 100

You could overlay the text with images of nonsense text – what printers call greek.
DH
Dennis Hughes
May 30, 2006

Where do I find the Money Pattern? I looked in all the patterns in CS2, but may have overlooked it.

Thanks,

Dennis

"2" wrote in message

SP
S Penzes
May 30, 2006
Susan P wrote:

size 44
hardness 29
steps 60
density 100
thickness 100
rotation 0

opacity 100
How about, selecting, then "Filter > Pixellate > Mosaic" to create the classic pixellated view?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections