HT
Posted By
harry_teasley
Jul 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A little while ago, I posted about an experience I have with Ctrl+Alt+[-/=] zooming, where after a while PS just stops resizing the window, and Ctrl+Alt+[-/=] zooming just works like regular Ctrl+[-/=] zooming. Another poster has noticed this behavior, so it’s not just me.

Just now, I noticed that I couldn’t eyedropper an image. Holding down Shift did nothing. The brush tool was active and I was Alt-clicking, and nothing happened, I didn’t get the eyedropper cursor or anything. I changed to the fill tool, where Alt-clicking to eyedrop still works, and nothing happened. Then I changed to the eyedropper tool, and it didn’t work. I closed and reopened PS and eyedropper works again.

Between the Ctrl+Alt zooming problem, the file browser crashing PS if I generate a ton of thumbnails in one browsing session, and another behavior I see more of in PS8 than in PS7, which is the program refusing to save images sometimes, throwing up the dialogue, "Photoshop cannot complete the request because an error has occurred," (or something very similar to that; it has been reported here by others before), I’m beginning to think there are some systemic problems, probably with memory management. All of these problems exhibit themselves randomly after extended sessions in PS. All of them are cured by closing and restarting PS. Quacks like a memory leak, to me.

I have tens of gigabytes of free harddrive space (with scratch disk not on my boot volume), on my P4 3ghz, 2g RAM, XP Pro system (Dell PWS360). Anyway, these bugs are infrequent but consistent, and consistently annoying.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

HT
harry_teasley
Jul 15, 2004
I’ve found the problem, and it’s crazy. I recently inherited a Wacom Cintiq from a coworker who went to another job, and the interaction between the Cintiq and my old Wacom Intuos 2 is odd.

Essentially, there are situations where I can, on the Intuos, with PS displaying on the Cintiq, manipulate all the UI widgets in PS, but nothing actually works. I can drag sliders back and forth, I can select tools, and the UI is responsive to all of this, just that nothing actuall registers as a change. The changes register when I use the Cintiq pen on the Cintiq.

The HueSat sliders aren’t working with the Intuos, but will with the Cintiq. Same with Levels: I can drag the widgets around all day, but the image will not update, if I use the Intuos. Very, very confusing bug.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 15, 2004
don’t you love new hardware harry?
HT
harry_teasley
Jul 15, 2004
Well, the Cintiq is addictive, believe me. It’s amazing. And under most circumstances, the interaction between the Cintiq and the Intuos doesn’t show any quirks: it’s just like a second mouse, which I need because I have a second monitor. Perhaps I will swap the Intuos out for a second non-tablet mouse, and see if things work better.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 16, 2004
Please report this to Wacom – their driver engineers are always trying to improve and very responsive to bugs.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections