SW
Posted By
Steven Wandy
May 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have always printed my photos at home (Epson R800). After reading some favorable remarks about Costco’s services, I decided to try it out for myself.
I ordered a set of about 60 pictures from a recent trip to Florida online to be picked up locally. At first I was very impressed with the quality of the images. But when I got them home I realized that (1) the colors were not as saturated as I generally get off the R800 and (2) the reds were much "flatter", no pop. Anyone have similar experiences and any suggestions? (1)Yes I do have my system color managed with Monaco hardware – scanner, printer and monitor.
(2) I also downloaded the ICC profile from Dry Creek for this Costco location. But soft-proofing the files in PSCS2, while there was a difference in saturation (especially the reds), it was not as dramatic as the end results.
Thanks for reading,
Steve

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mike Russell
May 4, 2006
"Steven Wandy" wrote in message
I have always printed my photos at home (Epson R800). After reading some favorable remarks about Costco’s services, I decided to try it out for myself.
I ordered a set of about 60 pictures from a recent trip to Florida online to be picked up locally. At first I was very impressed with the quality of the images. But when I got them home I realized that (1) the colors were not as saturated as I generally get off the R800 and (2) the reds were much "flatter", no pop.

The most likely problem is that you provided them with Adobe RGB images instead of sRGB.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
SW
Steven Wandy
May 4, 2006
The most likely problem is that you provided them with Adobe RGB images instead of sRGB.
You are the second person who suggested that. I was not aware that I should have converted the images to sRGB. It did not say anything on the Costco site – only about downloading the Dry Creek profile. Maybe I will try again. Thanks,
Steve
MR
Mike Russell
May 4, 2006
You are the second person who suggested that. I was not aware that I should have converted the images to sRGB. It did not say anything on the Costco site – only about downloading the Dry Creek profile. Maybe I will try again.

There should be more of a warning about using Adobe RGB.

Definitely try again. Photo labs are so inexpensive, relatively permanent, and so fast, that I’m wondering if I’ll buy a new inkjet when mine finally goes south.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
K
KatWoman
May 4, 2006
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
You are the second person who suggested that. I was not aware that I should have converted the images to sRGB. It did not say anything on the Costco site – only about downloading the Dry Creek profile. Maybe I will try again.

There should be more of a warning about using Adobe RGB.
Definitely try again. Photo labs are so inexpensive, relatively permanent, and so fast, that I’m wondering if I’ll buy a new inkjet when mine finally goes south.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

I hate the printing part. I am also thinking of using commercial print services and just marking it up.
After spending about 2 days making large prints for a model portfolio on the Epson 1270, making 2-3 to get each one perfect, no dust, splotches, lines, etc, hand trimming etc. They are fragile, she just left 10 minutes ago, called one is already scratched from handling. I feel like she has spilled red wine on my best tablecloth.
Not to mention paper. I was so happy I found one I liked, went to buy it, out of stock in my size, had to go home research it on the web, go to another store. Bah, I am thinking this is just not worth it in the time it’s using up. I got some prints made at Snapfish and they looked great with no color profile. (I was using sRGB anyway) The commercial prints are less fragile and possibly archival so….The local paper did a test on 3 online labs, I think Kodak was the winner for the color and contrast etc. FWIW their inkjet photo paper is horrible, light weight and sticky on the reverse, satiny is not gloss (what the package says) ($30 bought to try and replace the most decent Printasia by Ilford. Always liked their paper back in the darkroom times.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections