TS
Posted By
Terry Smythe
Apr 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to determine how to make a background of a GIF file transparent. I wish to overlay a small GIF file on top of another GIF file, without rectangular white borders. Suggestions?

Regards,

Terry Smythe
Winnipeg, Canada

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
Laura
Apr 15, 2006
"Terry Smythe" wrote in message
news:<gFY%f.19099$>…

I’m trying to determine how to make a background of a GIF file transparent.

I wish to overlay a small GIF file on top of another GIF file, without

rectangular white borders. Suggestions?

Regards,

Terry Smythe

Winnipeg, Canada

Hi, If you go into File – Save for Web you can do it. I have PS 6 and there is a checkbox under the gif options for transparency. Once you check that you can then choose the matte which is the color it uses when it has partial opacities. It kind of outlines the image but not as a rectangle, just the outer parts if it has trouble filling it in. I would play around with it and try none for matte but if it looks ragged, you might want to pick a matte color close to your background. Let me know if you have problems.

Laura
TS
Terry Smythe
Apr 15, 2006
"Laura" wrote in message
Hi, If you go into File – Save for Web you can do it.

I tried all kinds of variants on this approach and got nowhere. However, more by good luck than good management, I seem to have found a way. I opened a new blank image and declared it to be fully transparent using CMYK. Then using the magic wand, I selected that portion of the logo image I want visible from within the source image and copied it into the clipboard. Then in the new target image, I pasted the desired logo image from the clipboard. Voila! The new logo image has a transparent background, just as I wanted.

I then saved the new logo image in that format, opened up my new target CD label graphic, selected all of the new logo image and copied it into the clipboard. Then pasted the new logo image over the CD label graphic, and it dropped into place perfectly.

Many thanks for all who lent a helping hand, very much appreciated. Got me thinking in a direction that is not particularly well spelled out in the help files. Yet another example of the internet at its finest.

Regards,

Terry Smythe
Winnipeg, Canada
T
Tacit
Apr 15, 2006
In article <rQZ%f.19408$>,
"Terry Smythe" wrote:

I tried all kinds of variants on this approach and got nowhere. However, more by good luck than good management, I seem to have found a way. I opened a new blank image and declared it to be fully transparent using CMYK. Then using the magic wand, I selected that portion of the logo image I want visible from within the source image and copied it into the clipboard. Then in the new target image, I pasted the desired logo image from the clipboard. Voila! The new logo image has a transparent background, just as I wanted.

I then saved the new logo image in that format, opened up my new target CD label graphic, selected all of the new logo image and copied it into the clipboard. Then pasted the new logo image over the CD label graphic, and it dropped into place perfectly.

Wow, you went the long way around.

For starters, if the original logo is RGB, there is no need to create a new document in CMYK mode in order to get transparency.

In fact, there is no need to make any new documents at all. In fact, you don’t even need to do copy/paste.

Instead, select the logo in the first image. When it is selected, choose the Move tool and just drag it into the second image.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
G
Gary
Apr 19, 2006
"tacit" wrote in message
In article <rQZ%f.19408$>,
"Terry Smythe" wrote:

I tried all kinds of variants on this approach and got nowhere. However,
more by good luck than good management, I seem to have found a way. I opened a new blank image and declared it to be fully transparent using CMYK.
Then using the magic wand, I selected that portion of the logo image I want
visible from within the source image and copied it into the clipboard. Then in the new target image, I pasted the desired logo image from the clipboard. Voila! The new logo image has a transparent background, just as I wanted.

I then saved the new logo image in that format, opened up my new target CD
label graphic, selected all of the new logo image and copied it into the clipboard. Then pasted the new logo image over the CD label graphic, and
it dropped into place perfectly.

Wow, you went the long way around.

For starters, if the original logo is RGB, there is no need to create a new document in CMYK mode in order to get transparency.

In fact, there is no need to make any new documents at all. In fact, you don’t even need to do copy/paste.

Instead, select the logo in the first image. When it is selected, choose the Move tool and just drag it into the second image.

And for the transparency, just hide the background layer and save.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections