Jul 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
"Paul Aspinall" wrote in
news:LpYPa.952$:

Hi
I’m trying to create a text graphic, which just has an Outer Glow.
However, when I save the graphic as a PNG, (for web use), it has 2 things I don’t want….

1. The image saved is the full size of the background canvas, and not just the text. There appears to be a background, even though the background is transparent!!
2. Sometimes the Outer Glow effect is lost (ie. I get hard edged letters, rather than the softened ones, which Outer Glow produces)

Any ideas??

Yes.

Png is (still) not well enough supported by current browsers for professional use.

1. I’m not sure why you were expecting anything else. The pixels are still there even if they are transparent.

2. See my comments on Png.

Like it or not (and I don’t know anyone who does), the only well supported format that has any sort of transparency is still GIF. And it’s not going to give you transluecency, which glows pretty much require.

Alternately, you can use Flash/Shockwave technology, which has it’s own set of limits.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

E
edjh
Jul 12, 2003
Paul Aspinall wrote:
Hi
However, when I save the graphic as a PNG, (for web use), it has 2 things I don’t want….

1. The image saved is the full size of the background canvas, and not just the text. There appears to be a background, even though the background is transparent!!
2. Sometimes the Outer Glow effect is lost (ie. I get hard edged letters, rather than the softened ones, which Outer Glow produces)

Any ideas??

Thanks

1. crop down the image.

2. Are you sometimes saving in PNG 8 and other times in PNG 24? PNG 8 will not give you the proper translucence. Look at your other settings in Save for Web as well.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
B
Bobocito
Jul 13, 2003
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:26:58 +0100, "Paul Aspinall" wrote:

Hi

Any ideas??

Thanks
Another approach is to make the text & glow over a solid background color, and use that same background color on the web page. You could try this as a gif, and see if the glow survives, but more likely you will want to use jpg for any sort of subtle glows, shadows, or gradients.
BJ
Barbara_J._Breault
Dec 5, 2003
How do I place frame around a transparent bacground?
BJB
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 6, 2003
Get the rectangular marquee from the Tool Box. Draw out a box which delineates the size frame you want on the outside. Go to Select>Inverse. Now you have a blank frame around a transparent area. You can fill with a color or whatever you want.

If this isn’t what you meant, come back.

edit: if you didn’t want to use any of the space you started with, just increase the canvas size: Image>Resize>Canvas
BJ
Barbara_J._Breault
Dec 7, 2003
Thanks Nancy,
Both answers worked. Now I an trying to color the resized canvas area. Little trouble with coloring. I feel I am a real newbe.
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 7, 2003
Barbara,

Make sure you have the Layers Palette visible always on the right side of your workarea. If it is not, drag it down from the well (the tabs above).

Create a new blank layer above your image. Use the marquee tool and select inverse, making sure you have the new layer highlighted in the Layers Palette, you can choose a color from the "Swatches" palette, choose a color from another image or this image with the Eyedropper in the Tool Box. Use the Paint Bucket to spill whatever color is showing on the top square of the two colors showing at the bottom of the Tool Box. Can modify color by clicking on color. In Layers Palette, where it says Mode=Normal, click the drop down arrow and change this to Color or Overlay or whichever works best for your desire.

There are also premade frames in the program.

edit—it is best to always change your image to .psd for editing. Go to Image>Save As and choose .psd, you’ll have to scroll upwards on the list. An image comes in as "Background", always double click this in the LP and accept the offer to rename it Layer 0, because not all editing functions are available to a "Background" layer.
BJ
Barbara_J._Breault
Dec 8, 2003
Nancy,
Thanks so much. It is wonderful to receive such great advice and solutions. BJ
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 8, 2003
Barbara,

I’m glad I could help you out.

Nancy
E
ewk
Apr 27, 2004
I’m downloading clipart from a clipart web site, in jpeg and eps formats. I then need to import the art into Freehand. However, I’m finding that they all have non-transparent backgrounds. What do I need to do in Photoshop to make them able to import without the backgrounds? I tried removing them and resaving as a tiff, but FH didn’t recognize it as a tiff with a transparency. Thanks!
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 28, 2004
How about a clipping path?
E
ewk
Apr 28, 2004
Yeah, I think that was what was needed. I using one now and it’s working…thanks!
MW
mitch_w
May 27, 2004
how can you cut out an image so that the back is transparent. how can you then keep it transparent so that it can be inserted into web pages and powerpoint presentations and blend into a multi colored background?

can anyone help me?

Mitch
HD
hot_denim
May 27, 2004
Save in GIF file format (256 colours max) via SAVE FIRST WEB DIALOG in Photoshop, enable the TRANSPARENCY option.

To create transparent area’s USe the ERASER/BACKGROUND ERASER tools, and also the CUT tool. You may need to CONVERT the BACKGROUND layer into a LAYER for the TRANSPARENCEY to be enabled (It is shown as chequered squares)
PB
Peter_Burbules
May 27, 2004
Another approach would be to use the "Extract" tool: >Filter > Extract. Then go to: > Help > Export Transparent Image. Save as ".gif."
WV
William_Verdaguer
Aug 6, 2004
Hello, I want to thank for the help that I received last week. I’m having trouble saving an image with a transparent bakground. Every time I want to use an image created in photoshop for a catalog for example the image will come out with a white background. I don’t know how to do it. Please help me. Thank you
I use adobe 6.0 photoshop/ image ready 3.0
windows millenium
L
LenHewitt
Aug 6, 2004
William,

What software are you using for creating your catalogue?

The only file-formats that retain transparency are .PSD, layered TIFFs, GIF, ..TGA and PNG. and many applications won’t open or respect transparency in those formats.

For some publishing software you will need to create a clipping path and Save As EPS.

To create a clipping path for an image on a transparent b/g, select Help>Export Transparent Image>For Print
Z
zybbok
Aug 17, 2004
Hello Folks,
I’m scanning parts of several documents in
Black and White.
I’d like to make the background of the scans transparent as I want to lay the objects on top of one another to make intertwining letters. Can anyone help?
Thanx in advance.
AK
Amanda Knott
Nov 2, 2005
I am very new with Photoshop CS2 and I have to use it a lot. I work with the Spaceman program to create planograms for store sets. I need the backgrounds to be completely transparent and when I pull them into the planogram they still have a white background. When I save it I make sure that Preserve Transparency is checked – anyone have any other suggestions?!?! Please help if you can! TIA
Amanda
I
iehsmith
Nov 2, 2005
On 11/2/05 12:10 PM, Amanda Knott uttered:

I am very new with Photoshop CS2 and I have to use it a lot. I work with the Spaceman program to create planograms for store sets. I need the backgrounds to be completely transparent and when I pull them into the planogram they still have a white background. When I save it I make sure that Preserve Transparency is checked – anyone have any other suggestions?!?! Please help if you can! TIA
Amanda

I’m assuming the planogram is a seperate file; if so, what program are they in and what version? What file format are you saving your images in (PSD, EPS, etc.)? Have you had to delete a background; are these images photos or PS illustrations? It may be that you need to create a clipping mask, but we need more details.

inez
AK
Amanda Knott
Nov 2, 2005
I realized that I had to completely close down my planogram program (Spaceman) and then try to do it again. It wouldn’t update with the program still open. Thank you for your response even though I gave you limited information to work with.

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 20:40:19 GMT, iehsmith
wrote:

On 11/2/05 12:10 PM, Amanda Knott uttered:

Amanda

I’m assuming the planogram is a seperate file; if so, what program are they in and what version? What file format are you saving your images in (PSD, EPS, etc.)? Have you had to delete a background; are these images photos or PS illustrations? It may be that you need to create a clipping mask, but we need more details.

inez
S
Saxman
Feb 19, 2007
I have scanned an image, but need to make the background transparent (the predominant colour).

It is a single layer image.

TIA.
TB
Tony Blair
Feb 19, 2007
"Saxman" wrote in message
I have scanned an image, but need to make the background transparent (the predominant colour).

TIA.

First you need to rename your background layer! then select the background colour and delete it!
R
Rob
Feb 19, 2007
Saxman wrote:

TIA.

Duplicate the layer then delete the background layer.
S
Saxman
Feb 19, 2007
Rob wrote:

Can you tell me exactly to do that or put me in the right direction? (I’m a novice)!
J
jrzyguy
Feb 20, 2007
"Saxman" wrote in message
Rob wrote:

Can you tell me exactly to do that or put me in the right direction? (I’m a novice)!

click on the layer and rename it…it will default to "background" a background is not transparant. You can name it layer 0 or anything you care to…it just cant be called background.

Once you get rid of what you dont want…you have to make sure to save it as a file that supports transparancy.. (ie, giff, png).

Sounds like you might want to pick up a photoshop book. Classroom in a book is a good start. Also myjaynee.com has some good tutorials for beginners.
T
Tacit
Feb 20, 2007
In article <45d9e729$0$8735$>,
"Harry Limey" wrote:

First you need to rename your background layer! then select the background colour and delete it!

Deleting the background is not always the best way to go, because you can never go back and recover it later.

The better thing to do is use a layer mask.

Change the background into a layer. Select the areas you want to go away. Invert the selection (Select->Inverse menu item command). Make the selection a layer mask (Select->Save Selection, choose "Layer Mask" in the dialog).

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
S
Saxman
Feb 20, 2007
graphics grunt wrote:

click on the layer and rename it…it will default to "background" a background is not transparant. You can name it layer 0 or anything you care to…it just cant be called background.

Once you get rid of what you dont want…you have to make sure to save it as a file that supports transparancy.. (ie, giff, png).

Sounds like you might want to pick up a photoshop book. Classroom in a book is a good start. Also myjaynee.com has some good tutorials for beginners.

I do have the book Adobe Photoshop CS2, but I will look into your advice, thanks.
LD
Leonard_DeFrancisci
May 14, 2008
Dave,
Please expand on selecting colors. I can’t seem to be able to "select color", in this case pick white & change it to transparent. I’n not sure what I’m doing wrong. Thanks,
DM
dave_milbut
May 14, 2008
you can use the magic wand or select> color range. there are many ways of selecting things in photoshop.
MW
Michael_William
Feb 19, 2009
How do I make the background of a photo transparent so when it is imported to Illustrator it does not appear with as an image in a white box?
JB
Jeffrey_Blaszka
Feb 20, 2009
I also have the same question. My personal Mac I have just regular CS and in Photoshop you are able to use the Export Assistant under the Help menu to export the transparent image out as a .eps (this might help you out Michael). However I have CS4 on my work PC and this feature does not seem to have carried over. Any thoughts?
P
Phosphor
Feb 20, 2009
<Charlie Brown>"AAAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHH!!!</Charlie Brown>

Have a look through the thread index, fellas, there are several very recent questions about transparency, with answers explaining how to learn about it.
RR
Richard_Roussel
Mar 11, 2009
Hi all, i’ve taken a picture of myself with my company truck and erased all surrounding… all is nice.. now i’d like to turn the empty background area that i’ve erased (which is now all white) into transparency..

How would i do that… thanx.

Richard.
P
Phosphor
Mar 11, 2009
Easy way: Make sure the background is a Layer (not flattened) then click on it with the Magic Wand and Delete.

There are better ways that are more complicated.

I suggest you do this on a duplicate file just in case.
P
Phosphor
Mar 11, 2009
What will the final destination be for the image’s use?

Print or web?
S
Silkrooster
Mar 11, 2009
Yeah if you would have unlocked the layer first, you would be done. Just remember not all file formats support transparency. Best to stick with one like psd, png, tiff, tga. forget jpg.
RR
Richard_Roussel
Mar 12, 2009
the format is psd.. final destination will be a print shop for my business cards.

thanks guyz, much appreciated.
P
Phosphor
Mar 12, 2009
Serve up the biggest file of your original image.

And for print? Initially, nothing less than PSD or TIFF while you’re working and still making editing decisions.

You should be using a MASK instead of irrevocable erasure. That way you can fine-tune the edges without permanently destroying the original image capture.

How to learn masking, you ask?
Please bookmark the following link. Follow the links therein. Then explore, and practice, and experiment, and put aside your fear of mistakes; we all make them and we all learn from them.
<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bb80e5d>

Tell us about the company who will be printing the B.C.s…what do they require? Have you spoken with them, or have you carefully read and absorbed what they ask for and require for file submission, in order to produce your cards?
BL
Bob Levine
Mar 12, 2009
Photoshop is certainly not the ideal tool for this but if you’re going to use it, I suggest saving as PDF and submitting that for printing.

Bob
DM
Don_McCahill
Mar 12, 2009
I suggest saving as PDF and submitting that for printing

And making sure any images within the PDF are created at a high enough resolution … at least 200 ppi, preferably 300.
P
Phosphor
Mar 12, 2009
Richard,

Unless you are putting the image on top of another image, you should be aware that for printing a transparent file is meaningless. White translates into "transparency". The paper color will show though unless the press if running white ink/paint.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections