HT
Posted By
harry_teasley
Jul 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can crash PS by opening many folders of images that haven’t yet been browsed to within PS. I have a couple hundred folders, each with a couple dozen TGAs, and when I started to browse them for the first time, I got about a third of the way through and PS crashed.

I wiped the file browser folder in my Applications Settings, and did it again, starting at the folder it crashed on. It didn’t crash on that folder this time (indicating to me that it’s not a corrupt image causing the crash), and it crashed again after a while of browsing though these many folders.

Anyway, there are a lot of complaints about the browser, but as far as I can tell, this is a genuine bug.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Jul 13, 2004
Harry,

some more information would be helpful on this. What platform are you using, and what’s your computer specs (cpu, OS, RAM, etc.)?

Also how were the TGAs created? Another version of PS? Another application? What OS?

Any more infomation would really help.

thanks,
-Adam
HT
harry_teasley
Jul 13, 2004
TGAs were created in that very copy of PS8. XP Pro, 2g RAM, P4 3ghz. They’re small (128×128, 64×64, 48×48, 32×32) images, and there are a few thousand, all told, across a couple hundred directories.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jul 14, 2004
Damn. Here we go again – P4 3.0, 2GB RAM, XP pro. Why do these numbers keep coming up when there’s a major problem with CS?

I know, I know, – it’s bad hardware, bad RAM etc. Yada yada.

I’ve held my peace for months now, but CS today steadfastly refused ("not enough RAM") to open a PanoTools Tiff image when ImageReady opened it instantly.

Pourquoi? (To save the obvious responses: 49% RAM allocated, HUGE scratch disk, all updates applied).

Sorry, harry – this helps little with your specific problem, but (directed to Adobe) something overall is really wrong here.

Fred.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Jul 14, 2004
Fred,

have you tried using the Adjusted Refresh plug-in to see if that lets you use PanoTools in CS? I’m curious if it’ll help.

Harry,

I’m still trying to reproduce your file browser issue, but so far haven’t been able to. I’m going to try on a machine similar to yours and see if that makes a difference.

-Adam (the PS QE performance "ninja" @ Adobe)
HT
harry_teasley
Jul 15, 2004
Thanks for looking into it.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jul 17, 2004
Yes, Adam, both the MP plugin and the adjusted refresh plugins are in place.

The problem was not in using PanoTools with PSCS, it was in getting PS to open a TIFF file that PanoTools had created (329MB RGB). PS point blank refused to open it ("not enough RAM") – I restarted (both app & computer), trashed prefs, tried RAM allocation all the way down to 10% with no success.

In desperation I tried to open it in ImageReady and it opened instantly. I’m not keen to heap all the blame on PS, btw, I strongly suspect that XP has a whole lot to do with it, but I wish the connection could be made/publicized (in moronese so the rest of us can understand) with the steps being taken to cure it so that we can all get on with our work. These "not enough RAM" full stops are really annoying.

I’m on my second MoBo (Asus P4P800 Deluxe) and third set of RAM (now 2GB Corsair TwinX PC 3200 DDR, 4x 512MB as dual channel), so have pretty well ruled out faulty hardware – unless Asus is hiding something……….

I’m kinda hoping SP2 for XP may "address" the problem, though I cannot understand why PS baulked when IR didn’t.

Fred.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 18, 2004
Fred – that could be related to some of the TIFF writing bugs in PanoTools. You might want to check with the author for updates.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jul 18, 2004
Will do, Chris – but I’m still puzzled as to why PS didn’t & IR did (open the file, that is).
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 19, 2004
IR has a different TIFF reader than Photoshop.
MA
Mark_Allen
Jul 19, 2004
Chris, What is the reason for this? Anything to do with animation? Can we drag the tiff plug-in into PS for different results?

Regards

Mark
DJ
dennis_johnson
Jul 19, 2004
If Fred would be willing to do the experiment and (after backing up the original of course) copy the TIFF plugin from IR into PS, this may be a useful workaround for others with similar issues.

(Aargh…I apologize for continuing the hijacking of this thread. We should move the TIFF discussion elsewhere.)
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 19, 2004
Mark – no, just the fact that IR and Photoshop started from separate teams.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections