Posted By
pauld
Mar 10, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all –
I’ve made some vector maps for a company to use to divide up distributer territories. They would very much like it if there was some way for them to be able to "color in" the various countries so as to code them for their associated reps. What I mean is, this information would not be static (otherwise I’d just do it), and the limitation is that they wouldn’t really want to buy/learn some graphics app in order to do it. Basically they have your normal MS Office Suite or whatever and other bus apps and that’s it.

I did the maps – Europe, South and Central America, etc – as vectors in Illustrator so they can scale well and also I was thinking they could do easy click-fills if there was some free or cheap svg/vector/eps editor that I could show them how to use.

The JPEG/BMP MS Paint option is really not suitable but PDF or bitmap conversion is not out of the question….

I’m pretty sure that this cannot be done in Acrobat, but does anyone have any ideas? I may have to write a Visual Basic app if all else fails but that would be really not desirable for anyone involved (meaning me).

TIA.
pauld

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

E
edjh
Mar 10, 2006
pauld wrote:
Hi all –
I’ve made some vector maps for a company to use to divide up distributer territories. They would very much like it if there was some way for them to be able to "color in" the various countries so as to code them for their associated reps. What I mean is, this information would not be static (otherwise I’d just do it), and the limitation is that they wouldn’t really want to buy/learn some graphics app in order to do it. Basically they have your normal MS Office Suite or whatever and other bus apps and that’s it.

I did the maps – Europe, South and Central America, etc – as vectors in Illustrator so they can scale well and also I was thinking they could do easy click-fills if there was some free or cheap svg/vector/eps editor that I could show them how to use.

The JPEG/BMP MS Paint option is really not suitable but PDF or bitmap conversion is not out of the question….

I’m pretty sure that this cannot be done in Acrobat, but does anyone have any ideas? I may have to write a Visual Basic app if all else fails but that would be really not desirable for anyone involved (meaning me).

TIA.
pauld
You could probably do the maps as HTML document that could be colored with a javascript. They do have browsers, right?

That way no special program necessary and simple instructions on the page would probably be all you need.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
P
pauld
Mar 10, 2006
edjh wrote:
pauld wrote:
Hi all –

TIA.
pauld
You could probably do the maps as HTML document that could be colored with a javascript. They do have browsers, right?

That way no special program necessary and simple instructions on the page would probably be all you need.

Sounds like a possibility. I don’t have much knowledge of javascript though, so I’m wondering if you could elaborate a bit. For example, could the script handle vector images or would they need to be rasterized and mapped or something? Pardon my ignorance….web stuff is not my strong suit.

Thanks again,
pauld

Comics art for sale:
P
pauld
Mar 10, 2006
edjh wrote:
pauld wrote:
Hi all –

TIA.
pauld

Sounds like a possibility. I don’t have much knowledge of javascript though, so I’m wondering if you could elaborate a bit. For example, could the script handle vector images or would they need to be rasterized and mapped or something? Pardon my ignorance….web stuff is not my strong suit.

Thanks again,
pauld

Comics art for sale:
E
edjh
Mar 10, 2006
pauld wrote:
edjh wrote:

pauld wrote:

Hi all –

TIA.
pauld

Thanks again,
pauld

Comics art for sale:
I don’t really know that much about it myself; I just know I’ve seen similar things. I’m sure there are resources on the web or maybe even a newsgroup.

Comics art for sale:
PF
Paul Furman
Mar 10, 2006
pauld wrote:

edjh wrote:

pauld wrote:

Hi all –

PHP is server side web scripting language which has access to some image manipulation like resizing but I doubt it could fill in countries with colors. What you really need is a GIS type program, but assuming that’s overkill how about having them open a GIF in Windows ‘Paint’, paintbucket the colors & save.
K
KatWoman
Mar 11, 2006
"Paul Furman" wrote in message
pauld wrote:

edjh wrote:

pauld wrote:

Hi all –

PHP is server side web scripting language which has access to some image manipulation like resizing but I doubt it could fill in countries with colors. What you really need is a GIS type program, but assuming that’s overkill how about having them open a GIF in Windows ‘Paint’, paintbucket the colors & save.

I think you need to start a database that has statements like "if this and this then this", where each rep has a color code and that links to the website to update the map color. You want to be able for everyone to have the updated info all the time, not that each person has to update the color manually on his/her comp??

FYI
this is not my area of expertise
MS has some good web design forums
I go to the FrontPage one for questions
T
Tacit
Mar 11, 2006
In article ,
"pauld" wrote:

You know, I have a similar problem. I’ve designed a blueprint for a house; the people who are building it do not have hammers or saws or screwdrivers. What should they do?

That’s a bit like what you are asking here. If you have clients who wish to perform a task, they need to have the tools that let them perform that task.

The task you are describing is very, very easy and takes less than five seconds…if your client has a vector program like Illustrator. Without the right tool, it is almost impossible.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
P
pauld
Mar 12, 2006
tacit wrote:
In article ,
"pauld" wrote:

You know, I have a similar problem. I’ve designed a blueprint for a house; the people who are building it do not have hammers or saws or screwdrivers. What should they do?

That’s a bit like what you are asking here. If you have clients who wish to perform a task, they need to have the tools that let them perform that task.

The task you are describing is very, very easy and takes less than five seconds…if your client has a vector program like Illustrator. Without the right tool, it is almost impossible.

That is exactly what I told them at the beginning, but I also said that I would ask around to see if maybe there was something I hadn’t thought of, like the web approach. For me, the web stuff is way harder than it would be to write an app in Visual Basic, and I will tell them on Monday that if they really want it I will do it, but they could and should probably just buy Illustrator. By the time I write the app they will have spent more than Illustrator costs (or close enough) and will still have way less control than they would if they let one person take a couple hours learning the very basics of vector imaging.

I will note that such seemingly unreasonable requests are pretty common in the business world, so this whole thing isn’t as unusual as your tone suggests. Basically they want everything for nothing and they want it yesterday….

pauld

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 12, 2006
Check out existing web-based map servers. Some of them have customizable maps that may do what you want.

There are dozens of these services. Here are a few that I found on Google: http://www.esri.com/software/internetmaps/index.html
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/maps/CP_MapProducts.htm
http://monarch.gsu.edu/jcrampton/maps/

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections