W
Posted By
wagon
Feb 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a photo of a builing that I would like to alter to look lile it was a background of a letterhead from the late 18th centrurew (sort of very fine dots?). What filter would I use or how would I decribe iot to search google?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
noone
Feb 7, 2006
In article ,
says…
I have a photo of a builing that I would like to alter to look lile it was a background of a letterhead from the late 18th centrurew (sort of very fine dots?). What filter would I use or how would I decribe iot to search google?

Andreomda has a "half-tone" plug-in, with quite a few variations on the patterning. Since I usually grab it for similar, I might be missing some half -tone variations that are now in CS/CS2. I’d play with what PS has now, and if it’s not what you need, look to Andromeda, or similar. You will probably want to work on the contrast of your image, and render it into some form of B/W mode, before you apply the Filter.

Hunt
N
noone
Feb 7, 2006
In article , says…
In article ,
says…
[SNIP]

I just took a good look at the links in your second post. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Having lived in, or near New Orleans, much of my life, and studying the history of the region, many of those images brought back my past!

I only looked at the technique, and it wasn’t until I was about to shut down my browser, did I look at the whole page. DUH!

Hunt
P
Pat
Feb 7, 2006
That’s a tall order and I don’t think you’ll find a filter to do what you want. I think you’re going to have to sit down and find a technique that is reasonably close.

Probably the closest I ever got to that look is:
http://www.artisticphotography.us/St_Johns/

But there’s an incredible amount of touch-up on something like this.

I don’t really remember how I did it but if you want a place to start:

Boost the contrast up to an annoyingly high level and balance the brightness at the same. Going lighter will help you lose detail. Work until you get rid of the detail you don’t want (for example, all of the brick detail). Don’t be afraid of going to 100% contrast and seeing what happens. The image will look pretty wild.

Then start applying filters and see what you get. Start with "find edges". Also try sketch, etc.

By this point, most of the similar types of stuff will be similar colors. Some you will want and some you will not. For example, the road will be some color (and there’s no way of predicting what it will be). Use magic wand to select the colors you want to get ride of and delete them (or change to white)

After you are done, then convert to b&w

Go in and touch it up by hand. Removing things you don’t want.

Then you will probably have to soften it a bit because the lines will be too crisp.

In the end, it will be simpler to have hand-drawn it.
TM
The Magician
Feb 7, 2006
On 6 Feb 2006 19:51:02 -0600, wagon wrote:

Yep, Andromeda has a couple of "artistic screening" plug-ins that might do the trick for ya… particularly the "cutline filter". I’ve used it for the same woodcut thing your looking to achieve. But ya gotta fool with it for a bit to get it just right.

http://www.andromeda.com/main/photoshop.php
J
jaSPAMc
Feb 7, 2006
On 6 Feb 2006 19:51:02 -0600, wagon found these unused
words floating about:

Letterheads of that period were engraved, not screened, thus they weren’t "fine dots".

If you want ‘dots’, print a copy on a laser then scan it in again.
TM
The Magician
Feb 7, 2006
On 6 Feb 2006 19:51:02 -0600, wagon wrote:

And here’s another very good one that achieves the same
woodcut/engraved effect.
Again…ya gotta monkey with it to get it right…
Panopticum Engraver Plug-in

http://www.panopticum.com/ps/engraver/engraver.shtml

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections