Posted By
Barbara Urquhart
Jan 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,
I wonder is you could advise me how to upsize, increase both size and resolution for enlarged printing. I find that if the initial picture is not the best then it enlarges so poorly. Is there a way of getting a good result?? I am using Photoshop 7. Is there a good software for doing this? thanks,
Barb

Barb
www.t-shirt-barn.com

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SG
Scott Glasgow
Jan 19, 2006
Barbara Urquhart wrote:
Hi there,
I wonder is you could advise me how to upsize, increase both size and resolution for enlarged printing. I find that if the initial picture is not the best then it enlarges so poorly. Is there a way of getting a good result?? I am using Photoshop 7. Is there a good software for doing this? thanks,
Barb

"I find that if the initial picture is not the best then it enlarges so poorly."

In computing, the principle is called GIGO, "garbage in, garbage out." More colloquially, "You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear." If the initial shot isn’t good, you may be able to improve it somewhat with processing (sharpening, curves, etc.), but it is unlikely that such a shot, even after processing, will scale successfully.

"… upsize, increase both size and resolution for enlarged printing."

You can increase the pixel dimensions (size) and alter the resolution (PPI), although in this case I believe that you are confusing resolution with detail. Altering the resolution will _not_ increase the detail. If an image feature is indistinct at 300 PPI, it will still be indistinct at 600 PPI; you cannot add information which does not exist in the shot. All that the PPI resolution determines is the number of pixels per inch, it does not determine the amount of detail represented.

Results will depend greatly on the nature of the subject. I will use an example I have seen used here before because it is apropos. A portrait shot at, say, 1200 x 1600, which prints well at 8" x 10", will probably incrementally scale up to 16" x 20" acceptably and still appear fairly clean and sharp. A photo of a graduating class of 120 people at 1200 x 1600, printed at 8" x 10" and with barely discernible individual faces, which has been scaled by the same amount will reveal no more individual facial detail of the subjects at 16" x 20" than it did at 8" x 10". It is the nature of the subject and the way that the human eye functions.

There are some techniques which do show a degree of success in reasonable amounts of upsizing, especially if you start with a very clean, minimum jitter (tripod mounted) original. One that I have used fairly successfully for shots taken at the Brickyard 400 is the "10% increment" method. Rather than go directly to the target size, increase the size in 10% increments until the eventual target size is reached. Apparently the algorithms are much more accurate when dealing with the smaller changes than with larger changes, which possibly has something to do with the relative difference in the amount of data which must be manipulated. There are actions available on the Web which will do incremental resizing for you automatically. Give it a shot. But don’t expect to start with crap and end up with gold. ‘Tain’t gonna happen, no matter how hard you wish.

Cheers,
Scott
CJ
C J Southern
Jan 19, 2006
"Barbara Urquhart" wrote in message
Hi there,
I wonder is you could advise me how to upsize, increase both size and resolution for enlarged printing. I find that if the initial picture is
not
the best then it enlarges so poorly. Is there a way of getting a good result?? I am using Photoshop 7. Is there a good software for doing this? thanks,
Barb

Unfortunately, when you double the size of the photo you also double the size of the imperfections. There are tools within photoshop that make it "not as bad as it could have been" – but at the end of the day, it’s not going to magically create detail where it’s been lost in the original.
T
Tacit
Jan 19, 2006
In article <lbBzf.130890$>,
"Barbara Urquhart" wrote:

I wonder is you could advise me how to upsize, increase both size and resolution for enlarged printing.

Step 1: Click on the image in Windows Explorer.

Step 2: Drag it to the Recycle Bin.

Step 3: Empty the Recycle Bin.

Step 4: Re-scan or re-create the image at the proper resolution.

I find that if the initial picture is not
the best then it enlarges so poorly.

Yes. That is correct.

Is there a way of getting a good result??

Sorry, no. No algorithm, no technique, no program can enlarge a pixel-based image and create detail that does not exist in the original. It cannot be done. It is not even theoretically possible.

I am using Photoshop 7. Is there a good software for doing this?

As good as any, yes.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
TT
Tom Thomas
Jan 19, 2006

This question has been discussed here somewhere between 10,000 and 100,000 times, give or take a few hundred thousand. Therefore I assume this is a lame troll.

——————
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
TE
Trace Elliot
Jan 20, 2006
Tom Thomas wrote:

This question has been discussed here somewhere between 10,000 and 100,000 times, give or take a few hundred thousand. Therefore I assume this is a lame troll.

That’s quite a trollish reply Tom.
It takes one to know one?
K
KatWoman
Jan 20, 2006
"tacit" wrote in message

I wonder is you could advise me how to upsize, increase both size and resolution for enlarged printing.

snip

TACIT: I sure hope you have that reply saved and do not have to type it every time!
The OP gets the award for being the billionth poster to ask that question in this forum.
TC
tony cooper
Jan 21, 2006
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:32:03 -0500, "KatWoman" wrote:

"tacit" wrote in message

snip

TACIT: I sure hope you have that reply saved and do not have to type it every time!
The OP gets the award for being the billionth poster to ask that question in this forum.

Over at the newsgroup alt.sacks.contents, the most commonly asked question is "How do I get ten pounds of shit out of a five pound sack?"

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
J
jaSPAMc
Jan 21, 2006
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 01:51:16 GMT, Tony Cooper
found these unused words floating about:

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:32:03 -0500, "KatWoman" wrote:

"tacit" wrote in message

snip

Over at the newsgroup alt.sacks.contents, the most commonly asked question is "How do I get ten pounds of shit out of a five pound sack?"

But that’s an easy one … wet the sack!

Now – getting 10# OF into a 5# sack …

Kirk Splaat
ML
Manuel Labor
Jan 21, 2006

Kirk Splaat
Problem is he said OUT OF, not INTO.
J
jaSPAMc
Jan 21, 2006
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:46:13 -0600, "Manuel Labor" found these unused words floating about:

Kirk Splaat
Problem is he said OUT OF, not INTO.
Gee … That’s what I said!
English => 4th language?

<Bartosh>
To get 10# of shit OUT OF a 5# sack, wet the sack!
The shit wil absorb the water and then weigh 10#!
<Bartosh>

The problem comes with the opposite – melds with some poster’s comprehension capabilities.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections