Posted By
fivefourteen
Jan 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,

I would like to stitch photographs together. Was wondering what is the best way to take photographs to stitch. Currently I put my camera on the tripod, expose then rotate the tripod head and expose leaving approximately 20% overlap. Any other advice.

The image I take is quite large (8×10 negative), what is the maximum size that CS can take? I would like to blow some of it up to 72"x288".

Thanks,

Ann

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

N
noone
Jan 12, 2006
In article ,
says…
Hi All,

I would like to stitch photographs together. Was wondering what is the best way to take photographs to stitch. Currently I put my camera on the tripod, expose then rotate the tripod head and expose leaving approximately 20% overlap. Any other advice.

The image I take is quite large (8×10 negative), what is the maximum size that CS can take? I would like to blow some of it up to 72"x288".
Thanks,

Ann

Ann,

Photoshop does have limitations on the pixel x pixel size, but I don’t have that data handy – I’ll bet that someone does, and will gladly post it.

For panos from 4×5 trans, I usually have the scans done on drum at 2000ppi. I haven’t shot 8×10 in many years, as clients just could not justify the expense v 4×5, so I have not done anything from 8×10 originals.

Your system will be the biggest limitation for this sort of image also. They get really big and fast. PS, as of CS release can allow for large images via the PSB (note "B" and not "D"). The format plug-in should be installed along with all others when you install CS. If you do not have CS/CS2, you will probably hit the limit on file size (from a dimensiional standpoint) and have to work in lower rez/size. Once you have done work in PSB, you can size the image down for your printing. Don’t know if the print house can handle PSB’s, so you might want to check that out, otherwise, you might be limited by size in PSD/TIFF/EPS.

Your method is sound. I usually leave a bit more overlap, but I like to have lots of choices. I have not used much of the pano software out there, and there seems to be quite a bit. I always do the work in PS with Layers, and, while there is hand-work, I have 100% control. Going back to PS 4, I’ve done some triple-truck panos, that one could not tell from a single piece of film, even when the client wanted the scene to show four seasons, or night -> day ( obviously not a normal pano). With CS things got easier, because of larger file size, and then Layer Masks (about ver 5) and Adjustment Layers, made the work SO-O-O much easier.

Hunt
CJ
C J Southern
Jan 13, 2006
I do a lot of panoramas by stitching – so I’ve learned a few tricks …

– Shoot manual – manual shutter speed, manual aperture

– Do your best to level the tripod – or you’ll end up cropping more than you hoped for.

– I often shoot in portrait mode – it gives you more lattitude

– 20% is the minimum overlap – anything up to 50% is generally OK – the excess is discarded anyway (although might cost more if you’re shooting large format)

– If you’re images include close objects as well as far away objects you’ll get a better result if you use a nodal bar so that the optical centre of the lens (usually pretty close to the front element) is above the centre of rotation)

– PS is hopeless at stitching – good and free/cheap programs are autostitch and The Panorama Factory. If using progs like these, turn off all the automatic corrections for distortions etc – they’re really only for P & S type cameras.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Colin
R
Jan 14, 2006
Photoshop has a limit on how long a print you can output. My version (CS) can’t print past about 4 feet. I use Corel PhotoPaint for printing long photo. I also use it for blending (stitching) panos. Head and shoulders over Photoshop in these two areas.

—-m0o0m

"fivefourteen" wrote in message
Hi All,

Thanks,

Ann

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections