REPOST: what does "Auto Resolve" do in PS7 File Browser?

WD
Posted By
Walter Donavan
Jan 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve researched all my PS7 books (and of course the PS7 Help). None even mentions it. Nobody replied to my post last time. Does this mean "Auto Resolve" is a mystical secret, known only to Adobe developers?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Bill Hilton
Jan 5, 2006
Walterius writes …

Nobody replied to my post last time. Does this mean "Auto Resolve" is a mystical secret, known only to Adobe developers?

More likely it means most of us would choose "replace" or "cancel" instead of trusting "auto anything" so we don’t know and don’t care what "auto resolve" does 🙂
BH
Bill Hilton
Jan 5, 2006
Walterius writes …

Nobody replied to my post last time. Does this mean "Auto Resolve" is a mystical secret…

Out of curiosity I tried it in CS … made a file named ‘test.tif’ and saved a copy in a 2nd directory then tried to copy again to the same directory from the File Browser and got the ‘auto resolve’ option … choosing that option simply saved a copy of the file as ‘test0000.tif’ and saving again generated ‘test0001.tif’ … so it just keeps on making copies (until ‘test9999.tif’ I guess … wasn’t motivated enough to see what happens after that) … good way to do ‘auto increment’ of file names, better way to fill up your hard drive with extra copies you probably don’t need …

Bill
TC
tony cooper
Jan 5, 2006
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:41:22 -0500, "Walterius" wrote:

I’ve researched all my PS7 books (and of course the PS7 Help). None even mentions it. Nobody replied to my post last time. Does this mean "Auto Resolve" is a mystical secret, known only to Adobe developers?
You just don’t have the right book. Mine says "Use the auto resolution dialog box to have Photoshop calculate the appropriate resolution for an image based on your chosen output parameters"

There’s a longer explanation for how to calculate the proper resolution manually.

"Photoshop for Windows and Macintosh" Weinmann and Lourekas.

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
BH
Bill Hilton
Jan 6, 2006
Tony Cooper writes …

You just don’t have the right book. Mine says "Use the auto resolution dialog box to have Photoshop calculate the appropriate resolution for an image based on your chosen output parameters"

From his earlier post a few days back it’s clear he was asking about
something different, namely what "auto resolve" (not "auto resolution") means when you use File Browser to move a file into a directory which already has a file with that same name and you get "auto resolve" as one of the options (with ‘cancel’ and ‘replace’).
WD
Walter Donavan
Jan 7, 2006
Well, I appreciate the tries. But it’s clear no one knows what it does.

Thanks anyway.

Walterius
Old, and Auto-Confused.
B
Brian
Jan 7, 2006
Walterius wrote:
Thanks anyway.

Walterius
Old, and Auto-Confused.
Well, from Bill’s explanation it would seem clear. When you try to drag a file to a directory where another file of that name already exists, you get 3 options: CANCEL the transfer to that directory; REPLACE the existing file with the new file of the same name; RESOLVE the issue by allowing the transfer to that directory, but adding a digit(s) to the filename, as obviously, 2 files of the same name cannot exist in the same directory. Since PS is adding the digits to the name of the file for you, it is auto-resolving the problem for you.

This explanation is purely based on Bill’s findings.
F
Frank
Jan 8, 2006
Well read what Bill H wrote, that’s your answer.

Frank

"Walterius" wrote in message
Thanks anyway.

Walterius
Old, and Auto-Confused.

WD
Walter Donavan
Jan 8, 2006
Gentlemen (and ladies, if any), I apologize. I was referring to PS7, not CS/CS2, so I tuned out to Bill H’s reply. However, when I actually tried Auto Resolve, it saved FileA and FileB as FileA000 and FileB000.

I had not looked in the folders previously to see what A-R actually did; I had assumed it simply overwrote FileA or left it alone.

My error. Thanks to all.

Well read what Bill H wrote, that’s your answer.

Frank

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections