AM
Posted By
Aaron_Martone
Jul 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I LOVE PHOTOSHOP CS!!! Like has NOTHING to do with it!

I’ve rarely been so happy with a purchase as with both Adobe’s PS:CS and IS:CS. Great programs which I’m proud to be a owner of.

But I need some help! A while ago, I opened a thread, and for the life of me I can’t find it, so, it’s been a while, but I’d like to know if someone has had similar problems, and if so, could they please help me out!

THE PROBLEM!

I found out a while ago, that when I booted PS:CS, it takes approximately 7 minutes (no joke) to boot. I am running a 1.5Ghz AMD XP1800 1024MB PC2100 DDR GF3 64MB DDR system. IS:CS takes 6 seconds to boot. But IS isn’t the problem here.

After a lot of reading on these forums, I found that if you rename folders Adobe uses on bootup to have a tilde in front of them (ie, change "Import-Export" folder to "~Import-Export", then Adobe will ignore all files located in this folder and not process them on boot.

In order to get PS:CS to boot at a respectable time, I have to ~ out the following:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\Import-Export (which just contains TWAIN_32.8BA)

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\Automate

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\Automate\Online Services

=============================================

Well, sure enough, with this TWAIN_32.8BA not loading, I cannot use my scanner with PS:CS! 🙁

And with the Automate Folder tilde’d out, I have only the options of BATCH, PDF PRESENTATION and CREATE DROPLET under the FILE > AUTOMATE function.

I try to goto FILE > IMPORT, and all I have there is PDF IMAGE and Annotations (Grayed out).

When they are tilde’d out, PS:CS boots in 7 seconds. Something in these files is holding Photoshop up. But what? And why? I’ve done PS:CS reinstalls, gotten the latest drivers for my scanner, reinstalled it as well, but to no avail.

ONLINE SERVICES has me confused. I only have a hardware firewall (no software ones) which does not stop unsolicited outbound information. But I do have all unecessary ports blocked. Mayhaps PS is trying to use a port and timing out? But what port?

Anyways, that is the problem, and I’d REALLY need some help in order to get it resolved. I hope that if Adobe makes a patch for PS:CS, that they take into consideration all the great ideas on the appropriate forum. Our copy of PS:CS that I use at work doesn’t have any of these problems.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AM
Aaron_Martone
Jul 7, 2004
Oh! And I saw this article:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f25a.htm>

But I don’t think it applies to me. For one, I don’t have Photoshop Elements. Secondly, I DO have a Kodak (DC4530) model installed, but it is not one of the models listed in that article.

That Camera and my Scanner (Microtek C6 Slimscan USB) are the only 2 TWAIN devices I have.

A graphics tablet isn’t TWAIN right? If it is, count my Wacom ArtzII 12×12 tablet as a third. 🙂 Just wanted to add that info.
WO
Walwin_Oglivie
Jul 8, 2004
my PS CS takes a long time to boot up also but i realized its the add ons that make it take so long the custom styles, shapes, graidents that i have downloaded maybe that might be your problem to.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 8, 2004
autofx plugin has a problem they’re working on, if you have that, move all support files (non-8bf) out of the plugins folders.
AM
Aaron_Martone
Jul 8, 2004
Hey guys.

Thanks for the tips. As of right now I don’t have any user-made or downloaded custom styles, shapes or gradients. (Though when I learn the program better I’m sure I’ll start building a set) As of right now it’s just the CD-Installed version of PS:CS right outta the box.

I’m not familiar with AutoFX (are they a company that makes 3rd party plugins for PS?) But I also have not installed any plugins (Yet!) for PS as well. Everything that is installed is default EXCEPT I have changed keyboard shortcuts to suit my own preferences. Also, I made the D: my primary Scratch Disk and then C: my secondary. Both same size, but D: has more space on it.

Anything else? I’d love to get my TWAIN back, at least.

I don’t know why, but since I installed PS4 and upgraded to PS:CS, Adobe says that I don’t get any technical support since I didn’t buy it from a certified Adobe Reseller. (I got these off eBay, but they are legitimate copies, and I registered them with Adobe)

Otherwise, I’d also call Adobe and ask for some help.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 8, 2004
If it takes that long out of the box, you need to look for:

1) a default printer that’s offline

2) a scanner driver that’s screwed up in some way

3) utilities that might interfere with application loading (virus scanners, etc.)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections