MV
Posted By
My View
Dec 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a number of jpeg files – some landscape and some portrait.

They are all 15cm x 10cm at 300dpi.

I want to resize to 18cm x 12cm at 80dpi for uploading to a website.

How can I do this in a batch mode (or action perhaps)?

regards

PeterH

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
Caitlin
Dec 27, 2005
"My View" <no spam > wrote in message

regards

PeterH

Use freeware Irfanview
JD
Jon Danniken
Dec 27, 2005
"My View" wrote:

Hi Peter,

Open a file, hit "Create a new action" button at the bottom of the Actions pallette, and call it whatever you want to. This will start the recording. While the action is recording, resize your picture using Image/ImageSize. Use File/SaveAs to save the file to a directory where you will want the outputs located at, and specify the compression (if saving as jpg). Stop Recording.

Now go into File/Automate/Batch, and specify the action to perform, the source folder, and the destination folder (use the same destination folder that you specified when you created the action).
Hit "OK", and it will perform the action you created on all the files in the source folder, placing the newly created files in the destination folder.

Jon
BH
Bill Hilton
Dec 27, 2005
PeterH writes …

I have a number of jpeg files – some landscape and some portrait. They are all 15cm x 10cm at 300dpi.
I want to resize to 18cm x 12cm at 80dpi for uploading to a website. How can I do this in a batch mode (or action perhaps)?

Pretty easy to write an action, you’ll need to run Image – Image Size and set the ‘pixel dimensions’ box to 32% (if I did the math right … you want the long side to go from 1772 pix to 567 pix so using a % means you don’t have to worry about vertical vs horizontal) with ‘resample image’ and ‘constrain proportions’ checked, also ‘bicubic sharper’ if you have that option, and the ‘resolution’ box set to 80 (though this is totally irrelevant for a website), then save or save as. Then just batch this action on a COPY of the folder (do it on a copy or you’ll overwrite your originals) to resize all of them. The Help files are pretty good about explaining how to write actions and batch them on a folder.

Bill
LI
Lorem Ipsum
Dec 27, 2005
"Bill Hilton" wrote in message

Pretty easy to write an action, you’ll need to run Image – Image Size and set the ‘pixel dimensions’ box to 32%

Why not juse use Fit Image?
K
KatWoman
Dec 27, 2005
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"My View" wrote:

Hi Peter,

Open a file, hit "Create a new action" button at the bottom of the Actions pallette, and call it whatever you want to. This will start the recording.
While the action is recording, resize your picture using Image/ImageSize. Use File/SaveAs to save the file to a directory where you will want the outputs located at, and specify the compression (if saving as jpg). Stop Recording.

Now go into File/Automate/Batch, and specify the action to perform, the source folder, and the destination folder (use the same destination folder that you specified when you created the action).
Hit "OK", and it will perform the action you created on all the files in the
source folder, placing the newly created files in the destination folder.
Jon

and specify the compression

If he does that the compression options box will come up for each image. There is some way to fix that from happening.
I think if you shut off the recording and click the little paper looking icon it will remember the compression for each file??
If you use "SAVE FOR WEB" it will not have that problem.
JD
Jon Danniken
Dec 27, 2005
"KatWoman" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:
Open a file, hit "Create a new action" button at the bottom of the
Actions
pallette, and call it whatever you want to. This will start the recording.
While the action is recording, resize your picture using
Image/ImageSize.
Use File/SaveAs to save the file to a directory where you will want the outputs located at, and specify the compression (if saving as jpg). Stop Recording.

If he does that the compression options box will come up for each image. There is some way to fix that from happening.
I think if you shut off the recording and click the little paper looking icon it will remember the compression for each file??

When I tested that action last night, using "SaveForWeb" in the action kept bringing up the compression prompt for each file, but when I used"SaveAs/ jpg and then specifying the compression in the action, it worked through all files in the source directory without a prompt.

Jon
K
KatWoman
Dec 28, 2005
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"KatWoman" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:
Open a file, hit "Create a new action" button at the bottom of the
Actions
pallette, and call it whatever you want to. This will start the recording.
While the action is recording, resize your picture using
Image/ImageSize.
Use File/SaveAs to save the file to a directory where you will want the outputs located at, and specify the compression (if saving as jpg). Stop Recording.

When I tested that action last night, using "SaveForWeb" in the action kept
bringing up the compression prompt for each file, but when I used"SaveAs/ jpg and then specifying the compression in the action, it worked through all files in the source directory without a prompt.
Jon

Hmm my experience is opposite of what you describe
Q
QV
Dec 31, 2005
I have tried all the advises, hints and tricks mentioned in this group, in tutorial and in a book of Deke McClelland ("Look & Learn Photoshop 6"), but without any luck to automate the image resize process (batch or droplet) to a process like in Photoshop Elements, IrfanView and Photo Filtre just to mention some applications. But nevertheless I can’t believe there would not be a solution.Bu who can tell it?
QV

"Bill Hilton" kirjoitti viestiss
BH
Bill Hilton
Dec 31, 2005
QV writes …

I have tried all the advises, hints and tricks mentioned in this group, in tutorial and in a book of Deke McClelland ("Look & Learn Photoshop 6"), but without any luck to automate the image resize process …

I usually work on my images one at a time but I just tried batching this in CS … wrote an action to resize large tiffs by a fixed %, convert to sRGB, run ‘save for web’ and save a jpeg … then I opened a folder of tiffs in the File Bowser and used ‘automate – batch’ to run the action on an entire folder of tiffs from the File Bowser … it only took a minute or less to write the action and get it automated (and I don’t usually do this type of task) so for sure there is a way.

without any luck to automate the image resize process (batch or droplet) to a process like in Photoshop Elements, IrfanView and Photo Filtre just to mention some applications.

I don’t think Elements can do this the way I described since I don’t think it has Actions (though maybe there’s a way to run an Action from Photoshop in Elements, dunno) … don’t know about the other programs, though the IrfanView fans seem confident it can do this task simply and well …

nevertheless I can’t believe there would not
be a solution.Bu who can tell it?

Do you have Photoshop and if so, which version (the batch stuff syntax has changed a bit from version to version)? I’m sure if you have Photoshop 6 or later that someone can describe the exact steps to do the task you mentioned. Let us know …

Bill
Q
QV
Dec 31, 2005
TC
Todd Cary
Dec 31, 2005
My View wrote:

regards

PeterH

I need to do resize a directory of images for the Web frequently plus I want a drop shadow, border, photo credit, watermark and thumbnail. Though I was able to do it with PhotoShop, if I needed to drop or change one of options, it was time consuming. So, I created my own which is available for the asking.

Here is an example: http://209.204.172.137/sfyc/051001_blessing/

Todd

BH
Bill Hilton
Dec 31, 2005
QV writes …

I have tried all the advises, hints and tricks mentioned in this group, in tutorial and in a book of Deke McClelland ("Look & Learn Photoshop 6"), but without any luck to automate the image resize process (batch or droplet …

I am using Photoshop 6 (Version 6.0.1)

OK, Photoshop 6 … I assume you already have an action that does what you want, so here’s one way to automate this … put all the images in one folder (you can also choose to process sub-folders) … create a new folder with a name like "resize_whatever" where you’ll dump processed images …

I no longer have version 6 loaded but I have a book with a view of the "Batch" window in 6 and it’s about 95% the same as the CS one so I can guide you thru it … to access this I think in V 6 it’s File – Automate – Batch (or very similar) …

Here’s the dialog box I get with this command in CS …
members.aol.com/bhilton665/batch.jpg (V6 will look very similar, missing just a couple of options) … in the ‘Play’ box select the action you wish to run … in the ‘Source’ box choose ‘folder’ and then click ‘choose’ and navigate to the folder with your images … in the ‘Destination’ box select ‘folder’ (if you select ‘save and close’ it will over-write your originals) and for ‘choose’ select
‘resize_whatever’ as the spot the processed files will get written to …. that’s pretty much it … you can check boxes for further options, which are pretty self-explanatory.

Try this and see if it does the trick.

Bill
Q
QV
Jan 1, 2006
Q
QV
Jan 1, 2006

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections