D
Posted By
Dee
Dec 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HELP … I’m on a ‘rush’ job … for a logo/decal design for a non-profit organization which is going to be hooking up together with Homeland Security …. and there’s an eagle photo we need to purchase outright … to own as ours and use as long as we want and as often as we want… but here’s the problem:

Each stock photo website is telling me that there is restrictions to usage, even with Royalty Free photos. We have a budget of up to $300.00 for this one photo, yet .. even if it’s for Homeland Security and NYS, nobody seems to want to sell it to us outright!

Any suggestions??? Any Help??? I can use anything you can help with!

Dee

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

G
Gormless
Dec 15, 2005
"Dee Dee" wrote in message
HELP … I’m on a ‘rush’ job … for a logo/decal design for a non-profit organization which is going to be hooking up together with Homeland
Security

I have a strong feeling of deja vu here.
Weren’t you asking the same thing about a week ago?
D
Dee
Dec 15, 2005
"Gormless" wrote in message
HELP … I’m on a ‘rush’ job … for a logo/decal design for a non-profit organization which is going to be hooking up together with Homeland
Security

Gosh Darn It !!! Yes … and I’m still struggling to find a pure true royalty free photo of this particular shot of this particular eagle. UGH!!

The organization needs to start printing the brochures and decals yesterday, and this has to get going ASAP …. now as the snowmobiling season gets going. I can’t believe how hard some of these websites make it to purchase this photo … they’re not getting back to me, and they’re all restricting usage so much, I’m not sure what to do!

*Pulling hair out*

Guess I’m beginning to understand the frustrations that come with this job …. LOL

Please do take me seriously … I’m still struggling with this and could use all the help I can get!
Dee
J
jaSPAMc
Dec 15, 2005
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:11:21 GMT, "Dee Dee" found these unused words floating about:

Security

Gosh Darn It !!! Yes … and I’m still struggling to find a pure true royalty free photo of this particular shot of this particular eagle. UGH!!
The organization needs to start printing the brochures and decals yesterday, and this has to get going ASAP …. now as the snowmobiling season gets going. I can’t believe how hard some of these websites make it to purchase this photo … they’re not getting back to me, and they’re all restricting usage so much, I’m not sure what to do!

*Pulling hair out*

Guess I’m beginning to understand the frustrations that come with this job … LOL

Please do take me seriously … I’m still struggling with this and could use all the help I can get!
Dee
Have you checked <http://www.fotosearch.com>

enter "bald eagle profile"
D
Dee
Dec 16, 2005
"J. A. Mc." wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:11:21 GMT, "Dee Dee" found these unused words floating about:

HELP … I’m on a ‘rush’ job … for a logo/decal design for a non-profit
organization which is going to be hooking up together with Homeland
Security

The organization needs to start printing the brochures and decals yesterday,
and this has to get going ASAP …. now as the snowmobiling season gets going. I can’t believe how hard some of these websites make it to purchase
this photo … they’re not getting back to me, and they’re all restricting usage so much, I’m not sure what to do!

*Pulling hair out*

Guess I’m beginning to understand the frustrations that come with this job … LOL

Please do take me seriously … I’m still struggling with this and could use
all the help I can get!
Dee

Yes I have … and they don’t have the particular eagle that the corporation wants. I have found it 2 different places … and it’s all under the same photographer, but there’s no way to contact him direct. Even though .. it can only be used for up to 100,000 pieces and then you need to re-purchase it…. and it can not be used for a logo .. but I’m not sure what we’re doing constitues a logo???

I am using it as an identity .. for the snowmobile club .. but then it’s also non-profit, so not sure that’s the same as a logo for business.

Dee
L
Loic
Dec 16, 2005
"Dee Dee"
D
Dee
Dec 16, 2005
"Loic" <(nospam).fr> wrote in message
"Dee Dee"
T
Tacit
Dec 16, 2005
In article <Nwlof.31119$>,
"Dee Dee" wrote:

Each stock photo website is telling me that there is restrictions to usage, even with Royalty Free photos. We have a budget of up to $300.00 for this one photo, yet .. even if it’s for Homeland Security and NYS, nobody seems to want to sell it to us outright!

For $300? Damn straight nobody will sell you the image outright. Buying exclusive rights to an image is very expensive.

What you are saying is about the equivalent of saying "I work for a warehouse company. We want to expand our warehouse for a new Homeland Security contract, and we need a new forklift. We have a budget of $25, and nobody will sell us a forklift!" Well, of course not.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
S
SCRUFF
Dec 16, 2005
For Christ’s sake, dd, you’re shooting down every suggestion thrown at you. I guess there is no magic pill!
I’d suggest you buy a camera and a ticket to a zoo.
J
jaSPAMc
Dec 16, 2005
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:51:34 GMT, "Dee Dee" found these unused words floating about:

"Dee Dee" écrivait
news:Vcoof.30119$:

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:11:21 GMT, "Dee Dee"
found these unused words floating about:

HELP … I’m on a ‘rush’ job … for a logo/decal design for a non-profit
organization which is going to be hooking up together with Homeland
Security

The organization needs to start printing the brochures and decals yesterday,
and this has to get going ASAP …. now as the snowmobiling season gets going. I can’t believe how hard some of these websites make it to purchase
this photo … they’re not getting back to me, and they’re all restricting usage so much, I’m not sure what to do!

*Pulling hair out*

Please do take me seriously … I’m still struggling with this and could use
all the help I can get!
Dee

Yes I have … and they don’t have the particular eagle that the corporation wants. I have found it 2 different places … and it’s all under the same photographer, but there’s no way to contact him direct. Even though .. it can only be used for up to 100,000 pieces and then you need to re-purchase it…. and it can not be used for a logo .. but I’m not sure what we’re doing constitues a logo???
I am using it as an identity .. for the snowmobile club .. but then it’s also non-profit, so not sure that’s the same as a logo for business.

Dee

You should try visiting professionnal photographers web sites, and try negociating with them the rights of the image, it’s not rare they accept giving you the total rights on the picture. In some case, the might accept to let you use it freely if it’s not a commercial use, but whatever, they will ask you to quote the photographic credits anyway. I did this way a few years ago, we were in need for tropical flowers picture and the image banks had very expensive conditions. At the end, we negociated with a independant photographer and it was much less expensive.
good luck

Hiya,

I have done that … but he’s set on this one photo .. and I can’t change his mind.

I do understand more now … on not giving me the rights to the photo, exclusively that is… and it seems all we need is the permission for at least 200,000 pieces to be printed . then we can buy the rights again, if we have to.

This one site I’ve found the photo at, is asking for you to buy ‘credits’ enough to buy limited rights to the photo, and it seems like that’s what we’ll do … I guess it’s a bit confusing as to what the ‘rights’ are .. as in how many pieces you’re allowed to print, etc. ..

Thanks for the luck .. I’ll need it!

Dee
Have you -called- the people at that particular web site? What you describe is in effect a pre-paid ‘royalty’.

Good luck if your ‘boss’ is that inflexible.
JH
Jim Hargan
Dec 17, 2005
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:54:59 GMT, tacit wrote:

What you are saying is about the equivalent of saying "I work for a warehouse company. We want to expand our warehouse for a new Homeland Security contract, and we need a new forklift. We have a budget of $25, and nobody will sell us a forklift!" Well, of course not.

Well said.

Stock photographers (like me) sell limited rights to a photo, and sell them multiple times. What you are asking will severely impact, and perhaps ruin, all future sales of that image. SO — you are asking for that photographer to sacrifice ALL future sales for $300? That’s a typical payment for 1/4 page, one time, non-exclusive, editorial. Advertising costs 5 times as much. Logos cost 50 times as much.

And don’t forget that eagles for patriotism is a hackneyed cliche. So naturally it costs more. EVERYONE wants it!

I have two suggestions:

1. Hire a senior art major from your local college to do a drawing. It’ll look great on his/her resume, and the $300 fee will pay for a kegger.

OR

2. Drop this client.

I also suggest that any graphics professional should own a copy of Fotoquote (http://www.cradoc.com/), the industry standard in pricing stock photography.

Jim Hargan
D
Dee
Dec 17, 2005
Just to touch bases …. I’ll be getting a copy of the letter of approval from Homeland Security as soon as the rep from NYSS gets it.

I know the rep myself, he has been at all NYSS meetings and is the official spokeperson.

I’ve spoke with Parks also, and know they are involved.

Everything has been checked out … and I won’t proceed until I see the letter myself … he’ll be sending me in e-mail and also a hard copy in snail mail.

I’ve spoken to the photograher myself, he’s very willing to help us and is proud and excited to see his eagle used this way.

We have a contract with photographer also .. or should I say NYSS does, I’m not going to be involved in that area … but the photographer is aware that I have the eagle on my hard-drive and is fine with that, as long as he and I have an agreement (in writing) that I can hold it until the next project, then we pay him again.

NYSS will be taking care of payment … and they’re getting it from Parks.

I’m on hold until payment is recieved by photographer, then he’ll send me the high resolution file, so I can replace the low res one .. and save all to disk for printing.

Have I missed anything?

By the way …. I’m not being paid by choice … I’m on SSI and can’t actually bring in any money at this time … perhaps later, but I’m fine with this. I’ve learned things along the way, what NOT to do, what to do .. etc.. so it’s been a good learning experience. 🙂

Thanks to all .. truly I mean it, you guys have been a HUGE help .. and I really appreciate it!

Hugs,
Dee
D
Dee
Dec 17, 2005
"Scruff" wrote in message
For Christ’s sake, dd, you’re shooting down every suggestion thrown at you.
I guess there is no magic pill!
Hi Scruff

Have settled most things .. see my latest post.

Dee
D
Dee
Dec 17, 2005
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:51:34 GMT, "Dee Dee" found these unused words floating about:

"Dee Dee"
D
Dee
Dec 17, 2005
"tacit" wrote in message
"Dee Dee" wrote:

Each stock photo website is telling me that there is restrictions to usage,
even with Royalty Free photos. We have a budget of up to $300.00 for this
one photo, yet .. even if it’s for Homeland Security and NYS, nobody seems
to want to sell it to us outright!

For $300? Damn straight nobody will sell you the image outright. Buying exclusive rights to an image is very expensive.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Yeah, I see that now … but said photographer has worked it out with us, that we’ll pay a certain amount for the first 200,000 pieces of literature & decals … then we’ll go from there.

Dee
D
Dee
Dec 17, 2005
"Jim Hargan" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:54:59 GMT, tacit wrote:

Well said.

Stock photographers (like me) sell limited rights to a photo, and sell them
multiple times. What you are asking will severely impact, and perhaps ruin,
all future sales of that image. SO — you are asking for that photographer to sacrifice ALL future sales for $300? That’s a typical payment for 1/4 page, one time, non-exclusive, editorial. Advertising costs 5 times as much. Logos cost 50 times as much.

And don’t forget that eagles for patriotism is a hackneyed cliche. So naturally it costs more. EVERYONE wants it!

I have two suggestions:

1. Hire a senior art major from your local college to do a drawing. It’ll look great on his/her resume, and the $300 fee will pay for a kegger.
OR

2. Drop this client.

I also suggest that any graphics professional should own a copy of Fotoquote (http://www.cradoc.com/), the industry standard in pricing stock photography.

Jim Hargan

Hi Jim,

Actually, everything has been worked out .. thanks so much!

Dee
S
SCRUFF
Dec 17, 2005
For Christ’s sake, dd, you’re shooting down every suggestion thrown at you.
I guess there is no magic pill!
Hi Scruff

Have settled most things .. see my latest post.

Dee
Hi DD, lol.
S
SCRUFF
Dec 18, 2005
DD, having run an in-house advertising agency for 10 years, I make it an absolute policy
not to buy a photo for anything less than full ownership. Any photographer trying to attach themselves to you for any period of time by controlling
the right and not selling outright should be avoided. Seems the internet is full of them and
feed on the needs of the inexperienced (that doesn’t sound like you though). They are either crooks or damned insecure of their abilities to grab new business.
I realize you are on a budget, but what is the budget worth if you’ll always be renewing use of the pic
for any altered version of a logo, etc.
That royalty stuff is a scam and I can recommend real professional photographers with the credibility
not to do that.
S
SCRUFF
Dec 18, 2005
"tacit" wrote in message
"Dee Dee" wrote:

Each stock photo website is telling me that there is restrictions to usage,
even with Royalty Free photos. We have a budget of up to $300.00 for this
one photo, yet .. even if it’s for Homeland Security and NYS, nobody seems
to want to sell it to us outright!

Yeah, I see that now … but said photographer has worked it out with us, that we’ll pay a certain amount for the first 200,000 pieces of literature
&
decals … then we’ll go from there.

Dee
Classic example of a con-artist photographer.
D
Dee
Dec 18, 2005
Hi Scruff,

Well … I’m pretty much at a place where I’m not able to do much about this at the moment, since I’m not a paid designer for this project, just volunteered my services.

I’d love to be referred to the photographers you’re speaking of for future references .. but they’re sold on this one photo, and the photographer in this instance is a school teacher .. and is thrilled we’re using his photo …. and tells us this is the biggest exposure he’s ever had.

All I know is that I don’t want to get in too deep … so I referred the photographer to the NYSS rep .. and they’re talking now.

I wish one of your photographers had the photo we’re looking at .. it would make it soooo much easier to ‘own’ it outright .. but who’s to say they would, most likely they wouldn’t. UGH, I’m proud of this project yes … and to be in on the design .. but gosh, I wish it were easier.

Thanks so much for your concern and advice!
Dee

DD, having run an in-house advertising agency for 10 years, I make it an absolute policy
not to buy a photo for anything less than full ownership. Any photographer trying to attach themselves to you for any period of time by controlling
the right and not selling outright should be avoided. Seems the internet is
full of them and
feed on the needs of the inexperienced (that doesn’t sound like you though).
They are either crooks or damned insecure of their abilities to grab new business.
I realize you are on a budget, but what is the budget worth if you’ll always
be renewing use of the pic
for any altered version of a logo, etc.
That royalty stuff is a scam and I can recommend real professional photographers with the credibility
not to do that.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections