16 bit B&W problem with Curves and Unsharpen CS2 Mac 10 dual G5?

KH
Posted By
konrad.haskins
Dec 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I asking for my dad who is 79 and a whiz with PS but not much for forums. Unfortunatley I run CS2 on windows so I’m not much help on this. He is using a dual G-5 with System 10. He is scanning medium format black and white negs using an Imacon scanner as 16 bit Black and

White images. The problem as he describes it is when he is done with making his adjustments using " curves" and he clicks OK that less than the adjustment he applied is committed. Slips back a little is his description. He is an experienced user and it’s not an issue of having

preview unclicked. He reports the same problem with "unsharpen."

Any suggestions whould be most appreciated.

TIA,

Konrad Haskins

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

T
Tacit
Dec 12, 2005
In article ,
wrote:

I asking for my dad who is 79 and a whiz with PS but not much for forums. Unfortunatley I run CS2 on windows so I’m not much help on this. He is using a dual G-5 with System 10. He is scanning medium format black and white negs using an Imacon scanner as 16 bit Black and
White images. The problem as he describes it is when he is done with making his adjustments using " curves" and he clicks OK that less than the adjustment he applied is committed. Slips back a little is his description. He is an experienced user and it’s not an issue of having
preview unclicked. He reports the same problem with "unsharpen."

Any suggestions whould be most appreciated.

With Unsharp Mask, it is very, very important to be viewing the image at 100% on the screen. Unsharp Mask does pixel-level changes. If you are zoomed out on the image, what you see on the screen will not be accurate. You absolutely *cannot* evaluate the true effect of Unsharp Mask if you are zoomed out.

With 16-bit images, the same is sometimes true of Levels and Curves. The preview will not show you the "true" effects of the adjustments unless you are zoomed in to 100%.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
KH
konrad.haskins
Dec 12, 2005
Thank you very much, that explains to problem.

That explained, the question is how to view a large picture at 100%. I don’t know if this is different on a Mac but on my PC if I change an 8"x10" at 300 pixels/inch image to .8"x1" at 3000 pixels/inch which avoids resampling the display size stays the same even though the actual inch size is 1/10th the size.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Konrad Haskins
MR
Mike Russell
Dec 13, 2005
wrote:

White images. The problem as he describes it is when he is done with making his adjustments using " curves" and he clicks OK that less than the adjustment he applied is committed. Slips back a little is his description.

This sounds like the curves are being applied before the scan, in the scanner interface. If so, this may be a color management issue.

Set both the scanner and Photoshop to use the same gamma value, typically
1.8 for Macintosh work, or 2.2 for images destined for the Web.

In Photoshop this is done via the Color Settings dialog. The scanner software settings will vary depending on the particular software being used.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
KH
konrad.haskins
Dec 13, 2005
I think I’ve found the solution which is just zooming in at 100% to check areas. The 100% did fix the problem. Thank You.
T
Tacit
Dec 13, 2005
In article ,
wrote:

That explained, the question is how to view a large picture at 100%. I don’t know if this is different on a Mac but on my PC if I change an 8"x10" at 300 pixels/inch image to .8"x1" at 3000 pixels/inch which avoids resampling the display size stays the same even though the actual inch size is 1/10th the size.

To view the image at 100% means to view "actual pixels" on the screen, *not* to view the image at 100% of its printed size.

You must zoom in until the title bar reads "100%". You will not be able to see the entire image when you do this.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections