B
Posted By
Billy
Nov 30, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have many technical instructional screenshots that I cut and paste into emails at work. I would like to make these screenshots look like teared paper at the edges and do all sorts of other pretty things. Is this a feature of PS, and is there a more native application in Windows (ie: Outlook or Paint program) that will have this feature? Maybe MS Publisher?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
noone
Nov 30, 2005
In article ,
says…
I have many technical instructional screenshots that I cut and paste into emails at work. I would like to make these screenshots look like teared paper at the edges and do all sorts of other pretty things. Is this a feature of PS, and is there a more native application in Windows (ie: Outlook or Paint program) that will have this feature? Maybe MS Publisher?

Probably the quickest way to get the "torn edge" look is to create (or buy, such as PhotoEdges) a mask, which you will use as a Layer Mask for your image. This can be as simple as entering PS’s Quick Mask mode ("Q" on the keyboard) and painting the edge of the mask with a brush, being sure that you wiggle the brush, as you paint. Exit QM, click the Layer Mask icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette, then Flatten your image to send to your publishing program, saving in whatever format suits that prog best.

You can spruce it up a bit more, by adding a Drop Shadow, and I will even darken the outer edge a bit, and possibly run an Emboss, just on the outer edge.

Make sure that you Save your masks, for later use, and expriment with running various filters on the masks, for different effects – or buy PhotoEdges, with many more treatments, than you will EVER need.

Hunt
FN
Flo Nelson
Nov 30, 2005
"Billy" wrote in message

You might want to look at buying or talking your company into buying SnagIt (techsmith.com). Does screenshots fast and easy and you can add special effects to your shots – torn edges is one of them. You can edit the standard torn edge effect by choosing "custom effect."

I think they have a free trial version. Purchase is about $40.

Flo
K
Kokoro
Dec 4, 2005
In alt.graphics.photoshop, Billy ordered an army of hamsters to type:

why?

Yeah its possible, but, whats the point?

Will the tearing edges effect make the information in the screenshots clearer or easier to read?
B
banestien
Dec 6, 2005
"Flo Nelson"
You might want to look at buying or talking your company into buying SnagIt (techsmith.com).

I couldn’t agree more. Snagit is the solution if you need to take screenshots regularly (or even less than that). It does all you ask for – easily and effectively – and the file sizes are modest.

I only wish it would fill my income tax forms and write my creditors too, because it just feels so good to work with… Do yourself a favour and use the trial version first.

Nic

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections