LO
Posted By
Luis ORTEGA
Nov 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have photoshop cs2 and use an epson scanner. When I bring up the scanner window and do a scan, the new file in photoshop sits on top of the scanner window and nothing at all will respond in Photoshop until I click on the scanner window and bring it back up to the top and close it. The problem is that if the scanned picture is large nough to cover the whole scanner window, there is nothing that I can do to bring the scanner window back up to the top or close it. I can’t move the scanned picture aside or minimize it or close the file or anything to get back to the scanner window. This didn’t use to happen in older versions of photoshop and the epson scanner window.
I just had to lose about 30 scanned images because I was unable to get the scanner window back to the top to close it and my only alternative was to force quit photoshop and lose all unsaved work. This is a real pain in the ass.
Can anyone please advise me on what I might do to solve this problem short of having to close the scanner window after every scan and save the file? Thanks a lot for any advice.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

W
Wayne
Nov 27, 2005
In article <9U5if.1701$
says…

The problem is that if the scanned picture is large nough to cover the whole scanner window, there is nothing that I can do to bring the scanner window back up to the top or close it. I can’t move the scanned picture aside or minimize it or close the file or anything to get back to the scanner window. This didn’t use to happen in older versions of photoshop and the epson scanner window.

Dont know how to prevent the situation, I have never seen it.

But one standard and failsafe way to recover when you cannot get at the windows in Windows is to right click on the blank part of the lower XP toolbar, and select Cascade windows (or Tile Windows). This will be somewhat disruptive to the nice way you had arranged everything. Note there is an Undo there for Cascade.

There is also a Show Desktop there, which will minimize everything… then if you can restore just one of the two (?), that might work too.
D
dvus
Nov 27, 2005
Luis Ortega wrote:

I have photoshop cs2 and use an epson scanner. When I bring up the scanner window and do a scan, the new file in photoshop sits on top of the scanner window and nothing at all will respond in Photoshop until I click on the scanner window and bring it back up to the top and close it. The problem is that if the scanned picture is large nough to cover
the whole scanner window, there is nothing that I can do to bring the scanner window back up to the top or close it. I can’t move the scanned picture aside or minimize it or close the file or anything to get back to the scanner window. This didn’t use to happen in older versions of photoshop and the epson scanner window.
I just had to lose about 30 scanned images because I was unable to get the scanner window back to the top to close it and my only alternative was to force quit photoshop and lose all unsaved work. This is a real pain in the ass.
Can anyone please advise me on what I might do to solve this problem short of having to close the scanner window after every scan and save the file? Thanks a lot for any advice.

If you’re able to access the scanner window to continue scanning I don’t understand why you can’t close it at will, but CTRL+ALT+DEL ought to enable you to end the scanner process whenever you want.

dvus
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 27, 2005
Luis Ortega wrote:

I have photoshop cs2 and use an epson scanner. When I bring up the scanner window and do a scan, the new file in photoshop sits on top of the scanner window and nothing at all will respond in Photoshop until I click on the scanner window and bring it back up to the top and close it. The problem is that if the scanned picture is large nough to
cover
the whole scanner window, there is nothing that I can do to bring the scanner window back up to the top or close it. I can’t move the scanned picture aside or minimize it or close the file or anything to get back to the scanner window. This didn’t use to happen in older versions of photoshop and the epson scanner window.

CS2 organizes its windows in a more "mac like" way, and this causes problems in windows, in some situations . You’ve described one of those situations: the scanner’s twain import interface is overlaid by a newly acquired image.

If the scanner window is completely covered, you can always get back the scanner window back again by alt-tabbing to the window in question, but this is difficult when the number of images is large. Alt-Shift-Tab will generally get you back to the scanner interface right away. If you are running XP, there is a convenient add-on, called the Alt-Tab PowerToy Addon that makes this easier by providing a preview of each active window as you perform the alt-tab operation. There are several convenient XP addons involving images at this location:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppow ertoys.mspx

Another solution is to use the stand alone version of the scanner interface. Although this might seem inconvenient at first, because it requires that you save to a file before accessing the image in Photoshop, it does guarantee that you will not lose your scan. There is also a productivity advantage because Photoshop does not have to wait for the scanner. You can work on one image in Photoshop while scanning another. If you do this, save your scan initially as a TIF instead of a JPG to avoid image degradation. If disk space is a concern, save your adjusted and cropped version as a JPG and delete the TIF.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 27, 2005
Luis Ortega wrote:

I have photoshop cs2 and use an epson scanner. When I bring up the scanner window and do a scan, the new file in photoshop sits on top of the scanner window and nothing at all will respond in Photoshop until I click on the scanner window and bring it back up to the top and close it. The problem is that if the scanned picture is large nough to
cover

CS2 organizes its windows in a more "mac like" way, and this causes problems in windows, in some situations . You’ve described one of those situations: the scanner’s twain import interface is overlaid by a newly acquired image.

If the scanner window is completely covered, you can always get back the scanner window back again by alt-tabbing to the window in question, but this is difficult when the number of images is large. Alt-Shift-Tab will generally get you back to the scanner interface right away. If you are running XP, there is a convenient add-on, called the Alt-Tab PowerToy Addon that makes this easier by providing a preview of each active window as you perform the alt-tab operation. There are several convenient XP addons involving images at this location:

Another solution is to use the stand alone version of the scanner interface. Although this might seem inconvenient at first, because it requires that you save to a file before accessing the image in Photoshop, it does guarantee that you will not lose your scan. There is also a productivity advantage because Photoshop does not have to wait for the scanner. You can work on one image in Photoshop while scanning another. If you do this, save your scan initially as a TIF instead of a JPG to avoid image degradation. If disk space is a concern, save your adjusted and cropped version as a JPG and delete the TIF.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 27, 2005
Luis Ortega wrote:

cover

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
LO
Luis ORTEGA
Nov 27, 2005
The problem is that once a scanned image covers the whole scanner window, I can no longer get it back on top because there is nothing to click on. The cont/alt/del option doesn’t work since the scanner doesn’t show up as a separate process that is running. Only photoshop shows up on the list.

"dvus" wrote in message
Luis Ortega wrote:

cover

If you’re able to access the scanner window to continue scanning I don’t understand why you can’t close it at will, but CTRL+ALT+DEL ought to enable
you to end the scanner process whenever you want.

dvus

LO
Luis ORTEGA
Nov 27, 2005
It is intermittent on my computer, which leads me to suspect some incompatibility between windows WIA, photoshop, the epson driver or something.
If a scan starts and suddenly there comes up a secondary window that shows a twain acquire progress bar, then the scanned image is placed on top of the scanner window, but if the progress bar window doesn’t appear, then the scanned image appears below the scanner window and there is no problem. Anyway, your solution to cascade the windows is a useful workaround since I only need a tiny sliver of the hidden scanner window to click on and bring it back to the top.
Thanks a lot.

"Wayne" wrote in message
In article <9U5if.1701$>,

says…

The problem is that if the scanned picture is large nough to cover the whole
scanner window, there is nothing that I can do to bring the scanner window back up to the top or close it. I can’t move the scanned picture aside or minimize it or close the file or anything to get back to the scanner window.
This didn’t use to happen in older versions of photoshop and the epson scanner window.

But one standard and failsafe way to recover when you cannot get at the windows in Windows is to right click on the blank part of the lower XP toolbar, and select Cascade windows (or Tile Windows). This will be somewhat
disruptive to the nice way you had arranged everything. Note there is an Undo
there for Cascade.

There is also a Show Desktop there, which will minimize everything… then if
you can restore just one of the two (?), that might work too.
LO
Luis ORTEGA
Nov 27, 2005
Thanks, Mark, but the alt tab route doesn’t work in this case. It only sees photoshop as an option and not the scanner window so there is nothing to cycle through to bring it back to the top.
Wayne’s solution to use cascade windows is the only workaround that has been effective, and I guess it will have to do since nothing else seems to work.

"Mike Russell" wrote in message
Luis Ortega wrote:

cover

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

D
dvus
Nov 28, 2005
Mike Russell wrote:
Luis Ortega wrote:

cover
the whole scanner window, there is nothing that I can do to bring the scanner window back up to the top or close it. I can’t move the scanned picture aside or minimize it or close the file or anything to get back to the scanner window. This didn’t use to happen in older versions of photoshop and the epson scanner window. I just had to lose about 30 scanned images because I was unable to get the scanner window back to the top to close it and my only alternative was to force quit photoshop and lose all unsaved work. This is a real pain in the ass.

I understand, but does using CS2 negate the ability to halt the scanner process by itself?

dvus
D
dvus
Nov 28, 2005
Luis Ortega wrote:

The problem is that once a scanned image covers the whole scanner window, I can no longer get it back on top because there is nothing to click on. The cont/alt/del option doesn’t work since the scanner doesn’t show up as a separate process that is running. Only photoshop shows up on the list.

Ah, this answers my question, it appears CS2 is able to handle the scanner process as some sort of "child" rather than a separate process.

dvus
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 29, 2005
"dvus" wrote:

I understand, but does using CS2 negate the ability to halt the scanner process by itself?

I believe so. If you scan from within Photoshop, the scanner software runs in a thread within the Photoshop process. I don’t know of a way to halt the scanner software without stopping all of Photoshop.

It’s possible that unplugging the scanner might cause the scanner software to give an error and exit – worth a try if you’re about to lose work. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
GP
Gene Palmiter
Dec 5, 2005
Using WinXP and PS-CS2 with an Epson 3200 I get the same problem. There is a new driver at Epson.com so I will load it and report back. There is no mention of it fixing this problem.

Thanks,
Gene Palmiter
(visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com) freebridge design group
These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed
innocent blood, an heart that deviseth wicked
imaginations, feet that are swift in running to
mischief, false witnesses that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.Proverbs 6:16-19

www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine
"Luis Ortega" wrote in message
It is intermittent on my computer, which leads me to suspect some incompatibility between windows WIA, photoshop, the epson driver or something.
If a scan starts and suddenly there comes up a secondary window that shows a twain acquire progress bar, then the scanned image is placed on top of the scanner window, but if the progress bar window doesn’t appear, then the scanned image appears below the scanner window and there is no problem.
Anyway, your solution to cascade the windows is a useful workaround since I only need a tiny sliver of the hidden scanner window to click on and bring it back to the top.
Thanks a lot.

"Wayne" wrote in message

says…

scanner window, there is nothing that I can do to bring the scanner window
back up to the top or close it. I can’t move the scanned picture aside or minimize it or close the file or anything to get back to the scanner window.
This didn’t use to happen in older versions of photoshop and the epson scanner window.

But one standard and failsafe way to recover when you cannot get at the windows in Windows is to right click on the blank part of the lower XP toolbar, and select Cascade windows (or Tile Windows). This will be somewhat
there for Cascade.

GP
Gene Palmiter
Dec 5, 2005
The new driver seems to fix the problem

"Gene Palmiter" wrote in message
Using WinXP and PS-CS2 with an Epson 3200 I get the same problem. There is a new driver at Epson.com so I will load it and report back. There is no mention of it fixing this problem.

Thanks,
Gene Palmiter
(visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com) freebridge design group
These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed
innocent blood, an heart that deviseth wicked
imaginations, feet that are swift in running to
mischief, false witnesses that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.Proverbs 6:16-19

"Luis Ortega" wrote in message
If a scan starts and suddenly there comes up a secondary window that shows a twain acquire progress bar, then the scanned image is placed on top of the scanner window, but if the progress bar window doesn’t appear, then the scanned image appears below the scanner window and there is no problem.
Anyway, your solution to cascade the windows is a useful workaround since I only need a tiny sliver of the hidden scanner window to click on and bring it back to the top.
Thanks a lot.

"Wayne" wrote in message

says…

scanner window, there is nothing that I can do to bring the scanner window
back up to the top or close it. I can’t move the scanned picture aside or
minimize it or close the file or anything to get back to the scanner window.

there for Cascade.

AC
Allen Covey
Dec 28, 2005

Have you tried using the TAB/ALT key combination to allow you to choose which window is active?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections