KP
Posted By
Keith_Perdue
Jul 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had to re-install WIN XP after a severe crash. After re-installing PS CS I have a sort of "grid-like" layer underlying all my photos and in CS’s color selection palette the squares of colors have same sort of grid quality. My NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX driver was not installed, but even after installing it this problem remains. Any suggestions as to what I should check next?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 3, 2004
Try turning graphics acceleration down or off.
GH
Grass_Hopper
Jul 4, 2004
Try turning graphics acceleration down or off.
which will tell you it’s a driver problem if the problem goes away after turning the acceleration down.

You might need a newer version of the driver or a reinstallation of the old one.
KP
Keith_Perdue
Jul 4, 2004
Grass Hopper & Colin Walls- I tried turning acceleration down, in fact ALL the way down and there was no change at all in display properties, I still have the little dot pattern in the color selection palette and my pictures all have the weird "texture-like" quality to them. Any other ideas?
CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 4, 2004
Are you seeing this phenomenon anywhere outside of PS?
You could try making a plain red [say] JPEG and view it in Windows Explorer.
L
LenHewitt
Jul 4, 2004
Make sure your monitor is running at a dolour depth of 24- or 32-bit
KP
Keith_Perdue
Jul 4, 2004
Len & Colin- I’m using 32-bit res., and yes Colin, this phenomenon is present outside of PS-CS ONLY WHEN PS-CS program is running, otherwise it’s OK. I never had this problem before I had to re-install WIN-XP, so it seems to me that either the re-install itself was somehow different than the previous factory install, or, somehow I was able to initroduce a different setting somewhere. I’ve tried every single resolution possible, allways same results aside from changes in size of displays. Can you explain further re: trying a single color in Int. Exp? Thanks for yer efforts guys!
GH
Grass_Hopper
Jul 4, 2004
bad monitor profile? (I am reaching here, I’m not so good at troubleshooting these types of problems)
KP
Keith_Perdue
Jul 4, 2004
Nice effort, but no cigar, my monitor is faultless. The anomaly I’m having is ONLY present when PS-CS is running, otherwise things are spiff-a-roony. I guess I’ll have to consult the PS Gurus at Adobe, and with my luck it’ll turn out to be something REALLY obvious or so simple that I’ll die of embarrassment when they tell me……(Yes, that’s right, it’s plugged in) Thanks for your effort!
KP
Keith_Perdue
Jul 5, 2004
After checking my entire system I’ve found that I don’t have drivers installed for the "Direct Memory Access", "SMBus Controller", "Numeric Data Processor", "Programmable Interrupt Controller", "ACPI-Compliant System" for System Board, "LPC Interface Controller" for System Board, "System Speaker", and "System Timer". I have NO idea if this would cause my problem, but I’ll now try going to the DELL (my PC is a DELL) support page to see if I can download the necessary drivers so I can install them and see if my problem magically "goes away"…..aaaaahhhhhh, it must be maddening to anyone who is actually PC literate to read this, seeing I’m as ignorant of what I’m doing as a dweeb can be, but, as they say, "God hates a coward", right?
GH
Grass_Hopper
Jul 5, 2004
no, no, Keith, what I meant was that PS loads a monitor profile when it launches. I was wondering if *that* profile was confused.

Have you tried resetting your preferences (as outlined in the FAQ)? Sometimes that cures a LOT of issues.
DJ
dennis_johnson
Jul 5, 2004
Have you tried running Adobe Gamma to create a monitor profile?
KP
Keith_Perdue
Jul 5, 2004
Grass Hopper & Dennis-I deleted the preferences file completely without any change in PS-CS, and I had already made a Gamma profile, but went ahead & started over from scratch, no change in things after this action either.
KP
Keith_Perdue
Jul 5, 2004
I have tried re-setting the Preferences in PS-CS after an un-install & re-installation of the program, both of which did not result in any change with my display problem. To re-cap my problem: All images in PS-CS have the appearance of being on canvas or other similar material and is a result of the presence of a pattern of very small dots. Also, when PS-CS is running, all images on the web and in other files have this same appearance. The icon name labels on my Desktop display are normally without any border or box, but when PS-CS is running they’re in a solid colored box. If I print an image using PS-CS, it prints out without the weird "texture" problem present, BUT, while setting up an image to be printed, the problem is present which makes it a little harder to make any last minute adjustments. In particular, if, while checking the Printer Properties, I click on the Imaging tab, I get a fast flickering of the window displayed. Also, during the process the colors aren’t correct, perhaps even inverted, even though they do print out correctly. Maybe this can shed some light on a possible cause of my problem?
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 5, 2004
gotta be a driver problem. post a link to a sample image to confirm.

I suggest getting a new (or old if you are using new) display driver from the mfg’er’s web site.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections