S
Posted By
Shelly
Nov 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok, I feel like such an idiot at the moment, I can’t even believe…

Anyway, I have been trying to calibrate my monitor and images on my laptop (the one I am trying to calibrate) are no where near my desktop – and the desktop is calibrated quite well so needless to say, I am getting frustrated. If anyone can help me, I would so greatly appreciate it!

I have an inspiron 9300 with a GeForce Go 6800 card. I’ve played with the color settings on the card, gone through Adobe Gamma — and no where near it. Is there a way to calibrate these monitors that’s just the monitor, not the graphics card or adobe gamma?

My white is off and a light blue piece that I did (on the laptop) printed lavendar and the print looks identical to the image on my desktop – lavendar! If someone can send me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading!
Michelle

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TN
Tesco News
Nov 22, 2005
"Shelly" <shelly369atcomcastdotnet> wrote in message
Anyway, I have been trying to calibrate my monitor and images on my laptop (the one I am trying to calibrate) are no where near my desktop – and the desktop is calibrated quite well so needless to say, I am getting frustrated. If anyone can help me, I would so greatly appreciate it!
I have an inspiron 9300 with a GeForce Go 6800 card. I’ve played with the color settings on the card, gone through Adobe Gamma — and no where near it. Is there a way to calibrate these monitors that’s just the monitor,
not
the graphics card or adobe gamma?

My white is off and a light blue piece that I did (on the laptop) printed lavendar and the print looks identical to the image on my desktop – lavendar! If someone can send me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading!
Michelle
Sorry about your frustrating problem.

It is well known that Adobe Gamma is really only suited to adjusting CRTs. For Flat Panels you need a hardware Device.

If you don’t want to spend all that money, see if you can find someone local who can do it for you. It should not cost all that much. Most of these people charge by the Hour, so in your first hour he could probably do both your Laptop and Main Monitor, which will get them both exactly the same.

Roy G
K
kctan
Nov 22, 2005
If you don’t want to spend all that money, see if you can find someone local
who can do it for you. It should not cost all that much. Most of these people charge by the Hour, so in your first hour he could probably do both your Laptop and Main Monitor, which will get them both exactly the same.

I don’t agree that laptop screen and CRT monitor can be calibrated to match exactly the same; even with the best colorimeter. LCD white is tinted and black are not dense enough to match CRT…???
S
Shelly
Nov 22, 2005
Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

Do you know what would need to be adjusted if it was just my blues/purples?? Everything else I’ve looked at seems to be ok, but blue or purple – way off.

Thanks,
Michelle

"Shelly" <shelly369atcomcastdotnet> wrote in message
I have an inspiron 9300 with a GeForce Go 6800 card. I’ve played with the color settings on the card, gone through Adobe Gamma — and no where near it. Is there a way to calibrate these monitors that’s just the monitor, not the graphics card or adobe gamma?

Thanks for reading!
Michelle
M
mp
Nov 23, 2005
Dumb question: Both computers are windows OS’s right?

Let’s assume your graphics card settings AND your color management settings are similar on both systems. If they aren’t, you need to nail this down first.

Use a grayscale target to get white and black right on the LCD. Laptops tend to be too bright for accurate color work.

and a light blue piece that I did (on the laptop) printed lavendar
Are the profiles and other color management settings the same on both systems?
It sounds like you are printing directly from your laptop, so it suggests some settings aren’t the same.
S
Shelly
Nov 24, 2005
Nope, not a dumb question…. sorry should have mentioned the specs – both XP, and I tried with having both color settings the same. I sent the an image (created on the laptop) to costco to be printed — background came out purple (when it’s light blue on the screen). I sent the exact file to the desktop and the desktop matches the printed image from costco perfectly. I tweaked the image on the desktop, printed it again at costco – printed perfect light blue as it matched on the screen. Using all the same settings and the color difference is huge! I went through adobe gamme and no change. I’ve played with the color settings on the graphics card for hours and can’t get anywhere. I ordered the pantone Colorvision Colorplus – hoping this will help. If you have any other ideas, I’m certainly open for suggestions!

I tried playing with the grayscale target and tried all kinds of settings there too — no luck! ug!

Thanks,
Michelle

"mp" wrote in message
Dumb question: Both computers are windows OS’s right?

Let’s assume your graphics card settings AND your color management settings are similar on both systems. If they aren’t, you need to nail this down first.

Use a grayscale target to get white and black right on the LCD. Laptops tend to be too bright for accurate color work.

and a light blue piece that I did (on the laptop) printed lavendar
Are the profiles and other color management settings the same on both systems?
It sounds like you are printing directly from your laptop, so it suggests some settings aren’t the same.
M
mp
Nov 24, 2005
Something is wrong with the laptop. PS "gamma" app isn’t the be-all tool either.

Does the monitor have a color profile? Are the color management settings on the laptop the same? What happens if you attach an external monitor to the laptop?

Working and input spaces are identical to your desktop? Your test suggests otherwise.

What’s the output profile in PS on the laptop?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections