J
Posted By
JC Dill
Nov 17, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m working on an existing powerpoint presentation that has a lot of photos. The photos look OK on a computer screen, but look horrible when projected. I was hoping someone here had experience with tweaking photos for powerpoint projection display and could offer a "recipe" of sorts, a starting point. I’m hoping for something like "you need to adjust the center of the curve lower" or "reduce saturation and contrast" or "duplicate the layer and set the mode to foo". There are so many ways to adjust photos that I was hoping someone here has already figured out the best place to begin and the typical adjustment that works well as a starting point.

Thanks!

jc

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

E
edjh
Nov 17, 2005
JC Dill wrote:
I’m working on an existing powerpoint presentation that has a lot of photos. The photos look OK on a computer screen, but look horrible when projected. I was hoping someone here had experience with tweaking photos for powerpoint projection display and could offer a "recipe" of sorts, a starting point. I’m hoping for something like "you need to adjust the center of the curve lower" or "reduce saturation and contrast" or "duplicate the layer and set the mode to foo". There are so many ways to adjust photos that I was hoping someone here has already figured out the best place to begin and the typical adjustment that works well as a starting point.

Thanks!

jc
How do they look bad, and what format are you saving them in? "Horrible" could encompass many different things.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
LI
Lorem Ipsum
Nov 17, 2005
"JC Dill" wrote in message
I’m working on an existing powerpoint presentation that has a lot of photos. The photos look OK on a computer screen, but look horrible when projected.

It would be helpfull to know what PowerPoint option you are using.

See PowrPoint’s menu item "Slide Show", then under that "Set Up Show", then at the bottom of that screen chose "Slide show resolution" the choose 1600×1200. Try that with a small page, possibly just a few pictures/pages. If it looks better and you need further adjustments, come on back and ask again and then we can get into the Photoshop modifications.
LI
Lorem Ipsum
Nov 17, 2005
J
JC Dill
Nov 17, 2005
edjh wrote:

How do they look bad, and what format are you saving them in? "Horrible" could encompass many different things.

I’m working from an existing powerpoint presentation. The images were already processed and saved in the ppt document. I have to extract them from the presentation before I can edit them. When I extract them I can save (and then process) them in any format I want. They look OK on the computer monitor but are hard to see on the projected screen. For example, detail in the highlights is lost on the projected screen, so what appears to be a bright area with detail on the monitor looks like a faint blob with no detail on the projected screen. And on the other end, shadows also lose detail when projected.

It seems like most powerpoint presentations I’ve seen have this problem with photos. I assumed that there would be a standard system to process photos for powerpoint projection display.

jc
K
kctan
Nov 18, 2005
You need to color managed your system. Calibrate your monitor as well as your LCD projector. If after calibration you still got no detail in shadow and lack the sparkling on highlight, it is the problem of the light output power of the LCD projector. Get a higher power one.

Thanks!

jc
FN
Flo Nelson
Nov 18, 2005

Thanks!

You might not be able to rescue already existing pics, but see if darkening them either overall or in the areas most affected helps. We always make pics just a little darker when they’re going to be projected.

Flo

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections