CM
Posted By
Chris_Mallett
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The full version for Photoshop CS is around $650ish and the upgrade is $170ish. It says it works with any older version of the software. So do I lose anything by getting an older version of the software very cheap and then just buying the upgrade version? That way I am saving money without using pirated software.

Am I missing something???

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobLevine
Jul 1, 2004
That way I am saving money without using pirated software.

Yes, that is correct. But only if you get the license transfered to you. Otherwise, it’s not legal.

Bob
CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 2, 2004
But only if you get the license transfered to you. Otherwise, it’s not legal.

You would also be OK if it’s never been registered, but this is hard to verify. I guess that, if you get a shrink-wrapped box with everything in it, you are very likely to be OK.
B
BobLevine
Jul 2, 2004
Shrink wrap is not that hard to come by. Don’t be fooled by it.

Bob
RD
Ray_Daley
Jul 3, 2004
"Shrink wrap is not that hard to come by. Don’t be fooled by it.

I once purchased a Shrink Wrapped Microsoft Office product from a major Software Retail Store and the manual had hand written notes and yellow hi-lighted sections in it.
CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 3, 2004
I once purchased a Shrink Wrapped Microsoft Office product from a major Software Retail Store and the manual had hand written notes and yellow hi-lighted sections in it

I think the very liberal returns policy of many US stores encourages such things, which are less common [but not unknown!] in Europe.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jul 3, 2004
the manual had hand written notes and yellow hi-lighted sections in it

If it’s the handwriting of mr. Bill Gates (last-minute additions to the manual), it’s a collectors item!
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 4, 2004
Re: do I lose anything by getting an older version of the software very cheap

It is very unlikely you will get an older version legitimately. You might get version 7, if it is instock in an established store, but I wouldn’t trust eBay or other sources. Most of those offers are pirated.

If someone has a legit version of 6 or 7, they will probably want $500 or more for it (still lower than their cost, but worth it to clear stock that old.) So you will save a bit when you upgrade, but not a three figure amount.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections