Posted By
nagboy
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Cheers,

im having some problems with large files (not that large actually). Im having trouble opening .tga and .png files of about 3000×3000 pixels and larger in photoshop CS. I actually have to open them on another machine and save them as PSD files and then they open in a jiffy.

The error messages i get are 2 different ones:

PNG files:
"Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file."

TGA files:
"Could not complete your request because there is not enought memory (RAM)"

as i said earlier if the same files are psd they open without any hassle.

Im using a Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz workstation with 2GB ram so i feel that there shouldnt be any problems working or opening these files at all (and there isnt if they are only PSD)

Has anyone else experienced this problem and know either about a patch or a workaround for it?

nagboy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 4, 2004
PNG should be able to handle that.

TGA normally isn’t used for large files, but has been tested with large files without any problems.

How are these files saved? Are they from another application?

If they open on another machine, they probably means that something is wrong on the one machine where they don’t open. That could be a bad install, viruses, bad disk, bad RAM, etc.
N
nagboy
Jul 5, 2004
Thanks for the input Chris,

Ive tried to reinstall to no avail. The files are from 3DSmax 5 and 6. After some searching it seems there are quite a few issues involving dual xeon workstations and photoshop, i guess it may be that.

The other machine which the files open on is a mac, and its quite annoying because we are having a mac/pc flame "war" at the office and its kind of annoying that every time i save a high res image from 3dsmax i have to convert them to .psd on the mac to be able to open them at my workstation, the pc cred is at an alltime low 🙁 (hehe)

nagboy
N
nagboy
Jul 5, 2004
Cheers yet again Chris,

I found the answer, i just had to reduce the memory allowed used by photoshop from 100% (2GB) to 25% (512Meg) and everything works like a charm.

nagboy
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 6, 2004
nagboy – no, there are no issues with dual xeons and photoshop (where did you get that?).

And you should never set the memory to 100%, and you shouldn’t have to set it below 50%.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections