CB
Posted By
Captain Blammo
Nov 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have decided to get a graphics tablet and see if it helps my editing. I’ll be getting a wacom because they’re apparently the best, but will have to stick with a graphire due to being poor. I note that I can get a graphire3 6×8 for the same price as a graphire4 4×5.

Does anyone have any experience with a graphire3 vs a graphire4? I’d really like bigger, but I can’t afford a 6×8 graphire4.

Thanks for any hints!

CB

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MW
Mike Warren
Nov 2, 2005
Captain Blammo wrote:
I have decided to get a graphics tablet and see if it helps my editing. I’ll be getting a wacom because they’re apparently the best, but will have to stick with a graphire due to being poor. I note that I can get a graphire3 6×8 for the same price as a graphire4 4×5.
Does anyone have any experience with a graphire3 vs a graphire4? I’d really like bigger, but I can’t afford a 6×8 graphire4.

I’m very happy with my Graphire4 4×5. I thought I was going to find it too small but after using it I find it is plenty big enough for editing.

I think I would find a larger one tiring to use because of the extra movement required.

Mike Warren
My web gallery: http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/mike
C
Caitlin
Nov 2, 2005
"Mike Warren" wrote in

I’m very happy with my Graphire4 4×5. I thought I was going to find it too small but after using it I find it is plenty big enough for editing.
I think I would find a larger one tiring to use because of the extra movement required.

Seconded. And I don’t know where I’d FIT a bigger one!
A
Avery
Nov 2, 2005
On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 05:08:38 GMT, "Captain Blammo" wrote:

Thanks for any hints!

CB

I asked a similar question in another group (a good one) about 12 months ago. My question also included the option of staying with just a mouse. Almost all of the reponses said to forget the graphics tablet and get a good mouse. That is what I did.

I would still like try the tablet. I just do not find that the mouse provides the accuracy and sensitivity that I want. I just don’t want to spend the money an a tablet and be disappointed.

So, I will ask the question again…

What works best for tools like the "magnetic lasso" , or with Corel Knockout, or for paint brush effects etc. etc.?

A good mouse or a tablet?

And to back up CB’s question, what sort of mouse or tablet?
MW
Mike Warren
Nov 2, 2005
Avery wrote:
What works best for tools like the "magnetic lasso" , or with Corel Knockout, or for paint brush effects etc. etc.?

This is something each person has to try for themselves.

I find the tablet much easier to get accuracy with than a mouse. It did take me a few hours before I was comfortable with it. The variable width brushes help with manual mask editing as well.

Mike Warren
N
noone
Nov 2, 2005
In article <4368b761$0$93694$>, miwa-
says…
Avery wrote:

This is something each person has to try for themselves.
I find the tablet much easier to get accuracy with than a mouse. It did take me a few hours before I was comfortable with it. The variable width brushes help with manual mask editing as well.

Mike Warren

I agree. It also depends entirely on what one is doing with the device. I would not part with any of my Wacoms. On my laptop, I had to crank up PS, and was too lazy to bring out my Intuos II 9×12 (I personally prefer the larger tablets, but that is just me), and tried to use the mouse for some simple stuff. After about 15 min. I trotted back in, grabbed the tablet, and was done in moments. I still do not like the Wacom mouse vs the MS wheel-mouse. I still have the Intuos III’s mouse in the box. It might be better than the earlier ones, but I’ll stay with the MS for now. However, "you’ll have to pry my
[stylus] out of my cold dead hands… "

Hunt
BK
Brian K
Nov 3, 2005
How does the tablet size relate to the image size? Never having used a tablet I can’t grasp what large/small tablet means on the screen.

(I personally prefer the larger
tablets, but that is just me),
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 3, 2005
"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 > wrote in message news:ZSfaf.7506

How does the tablet size relate to the image size? Never having used a tablet I can’t grasp what large/small tablet means on the screen.

Even the small tablets have a much higher resolution than your screen, so this is not a concern. What you will need to do is choose how to map the table area to your screen, which can be interesting on a multi screen system.

People who draw using their arm, and not just their fingers, do well with the larger tablets. Generally this means someone who is a "real" artist, as opposed to a scribbler. I’m in the latter category, and a 4×5 does well for me.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
BK
Brian K
Nov 3, 2005
I really appreciate your clear answer.

People who draw using their arm, and not just their fingers, do well with the larger tablets. Generally this means someone who is a "real" artist, as opposed to a scribbler. I’m in the latter category, and a 4×5 does well for me.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

N
noone
Nov 4, 2005
In article <ZSfaf.7506$>, iibntgyea4
says…

It’s not really about the image size, but the size of the working surface v real estate that it takes. I like the increments of the stylus movement to be minute. Some hate the extra hand/arm movement, and like the increments to be much larger. I work on the desk, others like it in the lap. My big tablets would not suit the lap workers very well. I have some of the smaller tablets, but most are just gathering dust, and the big ones are almost worn out. It is all about how one works, and possibly on what they are working. Even for work on very small images, I like the big tablets, but admit that I have to create room for them on the desk.

Hunt
A
adykes
Nov 4, 2005
In article <43684f8b$0$89729$>,
Mike Warren wrote:
Captain Blammo wrote:

A buddy who does lots of work in PS bought one of the biggest tablets thinking bigger is better. She wound up selling it and buying the smallest model and loves it. Her biggest gripe was that the large model takes up too much deskspace.

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don’t blame me. I voted for Gore.
BK
Brian K
Nov 4, 2005
I’ve ordered a Graphire4 4×5"

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections