CS text is jaggy-missed phantom setting or is it a product defect?

DG
Posted By
David_Godsey
Jun 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can’t get text in CS to be smooth. All text is jaggy, regardless of size….a very un-Adobe defect. The only way to get decent looking text is to create it in Illustrator and import it into CS…..maddening!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobLevine
Jun 26, 2004
Are you view at 100%? Anything else is a proxy view.

Also, what are anti-alias settings?

Bob
DG
David_Godsey
Jun 26, 2004
Anti-alias is a routine (now generally taken for granted) that smooths out edges. I posted text as an example at www.godseyandassoc.com/tep/images/dummytext.jpg

The top text was imported from Illustrator and is properly anti-aliased. The bottom text was generated in Photoshop and note the rough edges. Zoom in and you’ll see the effect-the CS output looks like it came from a prehistoric IBM 8086 processor with an 8 bit monitor….are we going backwards?

My previous PS5 had better text and more typefonts.

While CS has improved tools significantly, fewer fonts and lousy text output is a big dissappointment.

Dave
DG
David_Godsey
Jun 26, 2004
Well I just figured out the problem….CS has sharpness settings for fonts in the far right dialog. The default is "none" eliminating the antialias subroutine. Selecting "strong" or "smooth" turns it back on.

Duh!
DM
Don_McCahill
Jun 26, 2004
What do you mean "fewer fonts" in message 2. The number of fonts available is an operating system function, not the program. You should not have lost any fonts in moving to CS.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections