Printer says my image is too dark? What do I do?

TH
Posted By
Tom_Heaney
Jun 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am an amateur and created a newspaper advertisment for a friend. In the ad I place a color image of a charcoal drawing on paper (i.e. primarily shades of grey). The image and final pdf is RGB color not greyscale. The image is a 5M pixel photo converted to 300 dpi jpeg in Photoshop. I ahve not applied any half toning to the photo. The printer told me a 300 dpi image is good and even somewhat overkill. So I built this ad in Illustrator. Imported it into InDesign and created the pdf from Indesign to ship off to the printer.

I went this cumbersome route because I am new to the CS and somehow just inserting the jpg or tiff files into Illustrator blows the file size up. I place a 500k jpg file into a 100K AI file and all of a sudden my AI file is 7MB and the pdf from AI is about the same size. I found if I then took the AI file and placed it in InDesign then went to pdf it would be in the 200K range. But that is a different story/question I don’t have time for right now.

I just got a vm from the printer that said the image is printing too dark and I have to lighten it.

I haven’t a clue what to do and I have to have the fix in tomorrow. Is this a half-tone thing. Do you even do half-tones in desktop publishing?
I am sure it is a simple thing that you pros know and I am just not aware of. The problem is that I can not experiment I have 1 shot to get this reasonably right. Can anyone help, please?

I don’t know whether I messed this up in InDesign, AI or PHotoshop so I am putting this question in all 3 forums.

Tom

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

KC
Karen_C
Jun 26, 2004
See Indesign forum answer.
L
LenHewitt
Jun 26, 2004
replied to in Illustrator_Win Forum
B
BobLevine
Jun 26, 2004
Replying in the ID forum.

Bob
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Jun 26, 2004
Playing forum ping pong, where do I go this move?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections