Eric Gill
Jul 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
John Ings wrote in
news::

I hope denizens of the group will welcome a fugitive from Corel’s PhotoPaint!

I have started up the learning curve with respect to Photoshop 7 and so far I like what I see. There is so far only one utility I miss and I suspect that it’s there but i just haven’t found it yet.
In PhotoPaint I can select an area and copy it, then paste it at another location. Photoshop does this, no problem. PhotoPaint however allowed me to then adjust the pasted area. I could change its size and angle, even flip it horizontally or vertically. So far I haven’t found a way to do this in Photoshop, and it’s one of the things I need to do most often.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

PS pastes into a new layer. Unless you flatten it, the standard way of applying those changes to the new layer should work.

Are you confused by the fact that you must re-select what you have just pasted in order for most of these to work, perhaps?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

K
Kingdom
Jul 8, 2003
John Ings wrote in

I have started up the learning curve with respect to Photoshop 7 and so far I like what I see. There is so far only one utility I miss and I suspect that it’s there but i just haven’t found it yet.
In PhotoPaint I can select an area and copy it, then paste it at another location. Photoshop does this, no problem. PhotoPaint however allowed me to then adjust the pasted area. I could change its size and angle, even flip it horizontally or vertically. So far I haven’t found a way to do this in Photoshop, and it’s one of the things I need to do most often.

ctrl t

transform tool hold ctrl and drag for perspective

There are no problems only situations

Walrus FAQ found at http://members.rogers.com/heretic54/ (The most up to date version is posted in this newsgroup on Mondays and Thursdays.)
Walrus websites: http://web.newsguy.com/evilsideshowbob/ and http://tw-angel.com/Walrus/
J
John Ings
Jul 8, 2003
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:05:56 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

Are you confused by the fact that you must re-select what you have just pasted in order for most of these to work, perhaps?

Yes, that was it. PhotoPaint leaves you in a complete transform mode but Photoshop only allows you to move the selection. You have to go to Edit>Transform to get the rest.

Thank you. I’m working my way through McClelland’s book and would have twigged to that eventually, but newsgroup pointers speed up the process.
EG
Eric Gill
Jul 8, 2003
John Ings wrote in

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:05:56 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

Yes, that was it. PhotoPaint leaves you in a complete transform mode but Photoshop only allows you to move the selection. You have to go to Edit>Transform to get the rest.

Thank you. I’m working my way through McClelland’s book and would have twigged to that eventually, but newsgroup pointers speed up the process.

Just to be clear – I wasn’t criticizing you. I’m not sure why PS deselects something you have just pasted. I dunno how everyone else feels, but that seems pretty counterintuative.
AC
Andy Collier
Jul 8, 2003
Yes, it is a a bit counterintuitive, however, I usually just hit ctrl-A immediately after pasting and right click to transform. Almost second nature now.

AndY
http://crimespree.ca/

Just to be clear – I wasn’t criticizing you. I’m not sure why PS deselects something you have just pasted. I dunno how everyone else feels, but that seems pretty counterintuative.
BD
big daddy framer
Jul 9, 2003
free transform?
"John Ings" wrote in message

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections