LL
Posted By
Lisa_Lingaman
Jun 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using a much older version of Photoshop – v4.0 on Windows XP. I am by no means, a graphic designer, but have worked with Photoshop for almost 2 years and lately I’ve been receiving an error when I try and move layered objects from one window to a new window. The error I receive is that I need to free some scratch disk space (virtual memory) in order to continue. I’ve gone into my preferences and increased my scratch disk space several times, even to the point where Photoshop is using 100% of my virtual memory. What am I doing wrong?

Lisa

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobLevine
Jun 23, 2004
For starters, 4.0 was released when Win 3.x was still the prevelant operating system. In order to have any chance at all to run it you need to get the 4.0.1 patch.

But I would highly encourage you to upgrade to either PS CS or, if you don’t need all of the advanced features or CMYK just buy a copy of Photoshop Elements.

Bob
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jun 23, 2004
Aside from Bob’s suggestion which I would agree with, you are not changing the scratch space in the PS preference, you are increasing the RAM allocation. Increasing this to 100% is generally not a good idea.

To free scratch space, you need to delete files from the disk that you are using for scratch. You have simply run out of disk space if the error message is correctly flagging the problem.
L
LenHewitt
Jun 23, 2004
Lisa,

I’ve gone into my preferences and increased my scratch disk space several
times, <<

The only way you can increase the scratch disk space is to point the primary scratch to a bigger drive(or set the secondary, tertiary etc. scratch to other drives with free space.)!

What you describe is changing the Photoshop memory allocation and setting it to greater than around 65% will make matters worse, not better.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections