EP
Posted By
evan_picard
Jun 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My situation – We are scanning 9×9" B/W aerial photos as RGB, 24bit, 600 DPI on an epson 1640XL on a Dell precision workstation (1GB memory, P4 3GHz(i think)). we scan, and save as a JPG, without incident.
when we try to open it, we get the error – "Could not open X.jpg because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found."

I tried reinstalling PS, as well as the twain scan driver. no luck. we tried scanning on another computer. the fact that we get the same error makes me think it might be the photos themselves, but what could be in an image that would cause this sort of corruption?

it only happens with certain photos, but there doesnt seem to be anything particular about the photos that would make it happen.

please help?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin_Walls
Jun 22, 2004
Easy to help. Don’t save as a JPEG. Why bother scanning to such a high quality and then trash the image quality by using a lossy compression? Can you not use TIFF?
EP
evan_picard
Jun 23, 2004
these are huge files. tiffs are too big. even if we decide on another format to save with, i am looking for a solution, not a way around the problem.
WHY is this happening, what can i do it FIX it, not what can i do to avoid this? thank you.
CW
Colin_Walls
Jun 23, 2004
Sorry, I didn’t explain myself. I am curious whether the problem actually occurred during the scan, but manifest itself in the file save. Thus, it would be interesting to know if a "troublesome" image gives errors with other formats.

BTW, a TIFF shouldn’t be more than around 30Mb by my calculations …
EP
evan_picard
Jun 23, 2004
sorry if i snapped.
I did try saving in other formats, and had no problem. think its in the saving, but why why why?
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 23, 2004
reload the app. maybe there’s a problem with the module that saves jpgs.
L
lly
Jun 24, 2004
2evan: You can find other threads on this forum which describe same problem with PS 7.

My first attempt to solve this problem was to turn off previews saving at all – success. After that I’ll investigate this problem a little bit more. If I replace MMXCore plugin MMXCore.8BX version 7.0.1 (size:163840 date:2002-07-17)
with older one
MMXCore.8BX version 7.0.0 (size:159744 date:2002-04-04)
problem disappear.
Newer plugin installed with PS 7.0.1 update, older taken from original 7.0 distribution. Tested on two workstations: one – P4 2.6G, 512M ram, Win2000 sp3; second – P3 1.1G, 512M ram, Win2000 sp3.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 24, 2004
this is not an mmxcore problem. you’re crippling your system unnecessarily if you roll back to fix this. and mixing code from differing versions of ANY software is a recipie for disaster.
EP
evan_picard
Jun 24, 2004

1. i couldnt find any previous thread on this same discussion.
can someone provide links to the previous threads?

2. i tried reinstalling the app – no good. i reinstalled the scanner software as well, no good.
L
lly
Jun 28, 2004
2dave milbut: You are a famous software developer, isn’t it? If not, please don’t spread panic messages. Use of ANY software in ANY combination is a way to disaster, or you didn’t read software licenses?

2evan picard:
1. Use forum search with phrase "Invalid JPEG marker"
2. Have you read my message closely? What version you use exactly? 7.0.0 or 7.0.1 ?
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 28, 2004
You are a famous software developer, isn’t it?

yup.

If not, please don’t spread panic messages.

sorry. didn’t mean to frighten you.
G
graffiti
Jun 28, 2004
You are a famous software developer, isn’t it?

No. He’s God.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 28, 2004
No. He’s God.

Mandy: No he’s not, he’s just a very naughty boy!

🙂
TH
Theresa_Henderson
Jul 7, 2004
This may not work for everyone. But in order to edit the image Select File – Open As. Set Open AS to TIFF *.tif. File should open. Fix problem and resave. It’s how we finally got our ".jpg" files to open. They were sent to us by someone. Even though they had a .jpg extension photoshop was recognizing them as Tiff files. (No idea how they were created. But they were huge files).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections